Africa Guide
recommended trip :

kakamega forest

Kakamega Forest?
August 01, 2006 03:07PM
By rachie
We have read that kakamegs forest is a must if you enjoy bird watching so we have looked into tours to take us there as well as mara & lakes, as its off the tourist track it seems to be a bit more expensive & I have also read twice now that you rarely see any birds!
Can you tell me if you think its worth the trip
 Reply  Quote

kakamega forest
August 03, 2006 05:31AM
By kwalels
as per your message is that nothing soo good in Kakamega forest maybe the crying stone but there other places like the great rift valley Nakuru for flamingoes ,masai mara,lake Bogoria and Baring for hot springs.. and by the way i am also a local tour guide and if you need my sevices then you are free to contact me ....i live and work in Eldoret some few kms to kakamega forest
frank
 Reply  Quote

There is much in Kakamega
August 04, 2006 01:50PM
Allow me to provide some few insights about Kakamega Forest. First, the crying stone is not within Kakamega Forest but about 25 miles or so away from the forest. The forest is the only largest remaining lowland tropical rain forest forest thus most of the bird species which were previously found in other destroyed habitats find refuge in the forest - for example the great turacco, turner's eromomela, great african eagle, the nutcracker hornbill, just to name a few. there are over 380 bird species in the forest. the forest has some of the largest contration of butterflies in Kenya (with an established butterfly farm). there are also the blue monkey, black and white colobus monkey. the forest's indigenous vegetation like the enormous elgon teak, prunus africana, croton melanocapus, provide a serene environment one will always long to stay in.

for an enriching birding safari, combining Lake Nakuru, Lake Bogoria and its newighboring Lake Baringo with Kakamega Forest provide a good experience. Lake Nakuru is currently full of flamingoes after migrating L. Bogoria and L. Natron. L. Baringo and its environs has over 350 bird species, especially those of the arid and semi arid areas. lake Bogoria, though with few bird species, are very rare and unique. contact me for any need for information because I have traversed the region very well.

Koech
 Reply  Quote

kakamega
August 09, 2006 12:51PM
Anonymous User
yes kakamega is rich in bird life and undisturbed flora, you can stay up at reasonable places as well. if interested drop me a line will help of course
claudia
 Reply  Quote

Housing near Kakamega forest
January 02, 2008 04:05AM
By ppebs
I'm looking for a house or 2 bedroom apartment to rent for 12-15 months near the Kakamega forest. Please send me an email if you have any advice/information.

Paula
 Reply  Quote

accomodation at kakamega
January 03, 2008 05:18AM
By kagure
Hey over there,I can organise for an apartment for you near Kakamega forest ie at Rondo retreat which is a very safe place.
 Reply  Quote

Tour to Kakamega,Mara and the lakes
January 03, 2008 05:22AM
By kagure
Hey over there,this is the best tour in kenya for someone to take,because you will be able to sample the most important part of kenyas tourism.I can help you with the itinerary.
 Reply  Quote

accomodation at kakamega
January 03, 2008 01:54PM
By ppebs
Thanks for your reply. I will be in touch once the current political instability has passed. I hope you & your family are safe.

paula
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map