Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Pocket money issues, HELP!

Pocket money issues, HELP!
October 01, 2010 08:57AM
By MexJohn
Hi! How are you?

I have a really important question for me, I'm evaluating the opportunitty to travel to Nairobi and living there for one year as an Au Pair for a Family there. I'm from northern Mexico, and as you can figure I have no idea about lots of things in Kenya nor Nairobi.

The thing is they offer to pay me $200 US dollars a month, It's Kshs 16,148.00

Since I would be living with them I wouldn't be a regular tourist.

I wont pay for housing or food at the house, I'll have free internet access as well to access to a computer, so this money I told you is only pocket money, only for personal expenses, I'm thinking of travelling trough Nairobi and getting to know the city, also going out for some Nightlife once in a while... should that money amount cover it, or I might get short of money????

If you think It's not enough, what would you suggest?

Thank you!
 Reply  Quote

October 03, 2010 10:11PM
Hallo there,
I would not advice you to take the 4200 per month. That is very little money in Nairobi especially if you intend to be moving about and checking out places and enjoying some night life. What i would advice you is to atleast get Kshs. 25,000 as pocket money. in case you need any more information, simply write to me on accommodation@acuteforward.com.
 Reply  Quote

October 04, 2010 08:26AM
By MexJohn
Thank you!!! I'll send you a mail right now!
 Reply  Quote

October 04, 2010 08:35AM
By MexJohn
Is there someone with other opinion?
 Reply  Quote

October 07, 2010 03:05PM
go for the $200 dollars.
as long as the housing and food is with them, then its ok with that figure.
kenyans are paid ksh.3000 and its fair if they give you the 16,000=

anna
 Reply  Quote

October 29, 2010 10:39AM
By civs
That should be more than enough unless if you are a raving drunkard who consumes alcohol like some Kenyans that I knowspinning smiley sticking its tongue out.
 Reply  Quote

October 31, 2010 10:34AM
I think too, that it is quiet little!
Ok, if you live "economical" it might be enough.., but on a sample: Trattoria, 2 People are eating and spending above KSH3000 before the Evening /Nightlife starts, you will see that some things are really expensive there! For Taxi, from Airport to Town (I heared..!?) you pay a MIN! of KSH2000.

For Cosmetics you spent around European Prices. To think about is probably Malaria-protection and some Medicine you may need (Diarrhoe).

You have to think about, that you will always need Taxi at Nighttime, due to Nairobi isn't safe at much Places..!!

By the way, how do you manage the Visa-issue? As a Tourist (like you said) you can stay there MAX! 6 (3+3) Month. Is it different for Au Pairs?
 Reply  Quote

November 06, 2010 02:54PM
I think thye money is enough,if its for pocket money only..its good.Nairobi isnt soo expensive,another thing,u will have an opportunity to visit a place you have never visited and learn new things,give it a try,after all,if you later feel it isnt enough,u'l just go back home?
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map