Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Elective at Kenyatta National Hospital

Hey there!

Two of my friends and I have been selected for an elective at kenyatta national hosp.
We were wondering if anyone could provide us with some information regarding accommodation.
We're looking for a 2 bed-room apt near the hospital. How much will that cost us, and how do we find one?

Thanks a bunch!
 Reply  Quote

Hello,

There are two flats in a secure compound going for Ksh. 85,000/- just off Ngong Road. It is walking distance to Kenyatta National Hospital. When do you expect to be in the country? Regards Nabi
 Reply  Quote

hi.
You should get a 2 Bedroomed secure flat for around 30k ngong road (Working distance from Kenyatta Hospital) or 35-50 in Hurlingham also working distance. All the areas are safe. The best for you is to get a hostel (Many available) for your first 2 weeks, check around the above areas for something you like before committing yourself. Karibu Kenya.
 Reply  Quote

That's is awesome.
I'm working with a budget of 30,000. Is that an okay amount?
 Reply  Quote

Hey smelly,

Budget of 30,000 is only enough for shared accomodation. Otherwise for furnished unit ,a two bedroom goes btn Kshs 80,000 -100,000.

I do have two bedroom fully furnished and serviced in hurlingham for Kshs 85,000.

regards
Paula
 Reply  Quote

we dont want an extravagant apt... we just want 3 beds and a functioning bathroom... with perhaps a tv...
anything within our budget? and if not, how much more so we have to stretch it?
Also, does kenyatta hospital have accommodation? like dorms etc?
 Reply  Quote

oops.. my bad, 2 bed
 Reply  Quote

Already replied to your post via PM. You need not spend more than 45k for a nice, secure two bed within a walking distance. How long is your elective and when do you start?
 Reply  Quote

Hey.. thanks for the info.
We'll be landing on the 19th o June and staying for a month. Can you give me some contact info so i can call and make a reservation for a couple of days to make sure we like the place enough for a month?
Your help has been invaluable.
 Reply  Quote

it is going to be difficult to rent an apartment for a month. Your best bet is hostels. YWCA etc. You could also try serviced aptmnts but this will be expensive. Will try to get contacts for some decent hostels and welfare desk @ kenyatta. They might be able to assist. Btw, kenyatta hospital has hostels within the complex. Check for updates tomorw.
 Reply  Quote

Following are some addresses, which could offer temporary or permanent
accommodation, depending on how much you are prepared to spend.
1) Flora Hostel, 5th Ngong Avenue, P.O. Box 49865 Nairobi.
Tel.: +254-2-723087; Fax: +254-2-720770
Furnished single room including 3 meals a day:
There is a high turnover of guests at Flora Hostel, but the rooms are calm and clean and the meals quite
good.
2) Jaribu Holdings Ltd and Milligan Co. Ltd
Hurlingham Shopping Centre
Argwings Kodhek Road
P.O. Box 48706 Nairobi
Tel.: +254-724012/4 or 724011
Furnished 2-bedroom apartments: It is,
however, advisable to start negotiations well before reporting to Nairobi as
the waiting list can be long.
3) Hostel of the Institute of Diplomacy and International Studies (IDIS)
Harry Thuku Road (Between Norfolk Towers and Boulevard Hotel)
It is quite quiet here.
Apply in person to the Senior Administrative Officer, IDIS, 8-4-4 Building, University of Nairobi
Main Campus.
4) Advanced Nutrition Programme (ANP) hostel, College of Agricultural and Veterinary
Sciences, Upper Kabete Campus.
It is one of the most comfortable hostels for postgraduate students in Nairobi, Only disadvantage is that it is pretty far
from KNH.
Apply in person to the Registrar, College of Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences (CAVS), upper
Kabete Campus.
5) You can also call KNH on +254-20-2726300. They might be able to get you into their hostels. they also have accomodation at their Doctors mess.
6)Nairobi Youth hostel is about 5 Mins walk from KNH.+254722655321 OR 254 20 2723012 or +254 20 2738046

i hope this is helpful. I would recommend you call flora hostels to book a place for the 1st couple of days before you find something more permanent.
 Reply  Quote

man, tahnks so much. all this info has been very helpful!
I'll let you know what happens..
 Reply  Quote

I just saw a place on google maps. It's called Kenyatta Residential Flats. It's very close to the hospital. Can you, perhaps, get me some contact information for that place?
 Reply  Quote

I also found an apt located at Nairobi's Kileleshwa suburb. Is that close to the hospital? Is the area safe?
 Reply  Quote

will check it out. Kileleshwa is safe but unless you have a car, there are no direct buses. Check harlingham, milimani and kilimani areas.
 Reply  Quote

i found a nice place in the kilimani area. Ceola Apartments. Any feedback about it?
 Reply  Quote

Hey Smelly,
I run a small, homely hostel in Ngummo Estate directly opposite the Kenya Medical Research Institute headquarters, a 5-10 minutes drive (depending on traffic) on the matatu (public transport van). You could probably walk the distance in 15-20 minutes.
If you two were to share a room, I could offer you accommodation on self-catering basis (@ Kshs. 1,500); on bed and breakfast (@ Kshs. 1,300); or bed only (@Kshs. 1100). You could also request to take up separate rooms, though this may be costlier. We also provide laundry, taxi and internet services.
Our hostel caters largely to international students and it is quite likely that you will also find other foreign medical students also placed at Kenyatta Hospital at our hostel during your stay. The rates may be negotiable depending on the duration of your stay but you'd have to contact my business manager if you'd like to take up my offer. He would also organize a meet-and-greet for you as well as your outbound airport transfer and has a wealth of knowledge in budget tour operations in Kenya.
Laura
 Reply  Quote

Hey Laura,
that sounds great. can you email me some pictures of the place?
shahfark@gmail.com
 Reply  Quote

Hi there

I am desperately looking for accomodation in nairobi for a period of about one month. I have a budget of about ksh 15000. I dont mind a bed sitter. Any ideas?
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map