Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Moving to Nairobi

Moving to Nairobi
March 24, 2010 12:20AM
I'm a Canadian planning to move to Nairobi in May 2010. I have a few questions.

First it seems impossible to get a work permit without having a job. I wanted to come to Kenya and then find a job. I am social worker.

1) Would it be wise to apply as a volunteer ? and then apply for a work permit?
2) Does anybody know of a good agency to volunteer with?
3) I am also looking for a shared accomodation - I am female and have a beautiful Kenyan boyfriend and would need a space for he and I to share.

Any ideas?
 Reply  Quote

March 30, 2010 06:47AM
It might be wise to look for a volunteer position then work your way into getting a permit.

Our organisation, Hot Sun Foundation, has a film school in Kibera ( Kibera Film School) and are always looking for volunteers-- helps if you have a background / interest in filmmaking, design, photography... or management.

Is this something you would consider?

If so, send me a message here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 07:01AM by DarkAngel.
 Reply  Quote

April 14, 2010 09:37AM
Hi, volunteering first would be the best option having in mind that you will be given a 3 month visa at the airport then extend it after-wards.

I was recently working with a good program in Nairobi where they had numerous projects running so I got the opportunity to do a round on them. Lived in Kenya for 6months got up to date with the culture, language and food. Basically I feel more at home in Kenya than anywhere else because I have good friends and team with me - that's what that matters.

Anyway, this organization I was working for covered all my day to day living, food, water, electricity and trips with tours were part of the company expenses, so I did not spend a lot because they understood I was a volunteer. And that's what you need.

Anyway, if you want to get in touch with the program's director/manager, his email is: oxford510@yahoo.com and tel: +254 724 241 230, am sure he will be more than glad to give you a run down of what they do.

Have a great time in Kenya.

Jenny
 Reply  Quote

April 14, 2010 09:41AM
oh, sorry and yes, they have enough accommodation facilities that can accommodate you and your bf anytime. When I left that's a month ago, they had three self contained rooms available so if you can get in touch with them am sure you will sort something out.

jenny
 Reply  Quote

April 15, 2010 05:12AM
Hi Volunteer, First and foremost is to thank you for the courage to come and socialize with Kenyan people.
Am simon from Book Aid Charitable Trust and in that case a social worker.
Our mother organization RCDA is our project co-coordinator with offices in Meru, MT. kenya region.
They can offer you volunteer work in their project and later you can sort yourselves out.
Sometimes they provide accommodation but with reasonable rates .
If interested please email bkaidcharitabletrust@yahoo.com
simon.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map