Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Botswana Help

Botswana Help
May 27, 2011 01:07AM
Hi I'm a university student in Canada, my boyfriend is from Hukuntsi Botswana, and I want to learn some recipes to make him for our 2nd year of dating (it will be July 13th). I'm also wanting to learn Setswana because next summer I'm supposed to meet his parents and they don't speak English... sadly, my mogatsaka won't teach me other than some words that I would not dare ever say to someone's parents lol. Another thing I'm worried about is doing something to unintentionally insult them, and I'm worried about how my looks will make them feel. I'm generally a very nice and respectable person, I'm always polite and helpful and terribly artsy; but people usuallly just judge me on how I look: blue hair (sometimes pink or fire engine red), unique outfits.... ect.... and now my boo has got his ears peirced (he wanted them done since I met him so I told him to do so on his birthday) and I'm afraid that his parents will blame me for "corrupting" their youngest son. I honestly wouldn't blame them as I do have unique fashion and hair and I keep my hair short, so I do go against most norms, but I only encouraged him to do what he wanted: dreds and earrings... anyone think they can help me out? I want to give them a good impression... I think I should mention that he hasn't told them I'm white (technically I'm mixed: French Métis)... do you think they will like me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2011 08:59PM by Tsholofelo.
 Reply  Quote

Re: Botswana Help
June 30, 2011 01:18AM
Hi there. I can suggest to you this simple but tasty dish of vegetable stew. This is a main dish. I can also suggest you check out some internet discussions about their customs and traditions. Just be positive. Good luck.

Ingredients:
5-6 medium potatoes
1 medium butternut squash
5 large carrots
2 ears of corn
1 small turnip or rutabaga
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup oil
2-3 onions
4-6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup vegetable stock

Directions
Wash the vegetables and cut into chunks. You can use any other hard winter vegetables that you like. Heat the cast-iron pot, (size 3) over coals until a little bit warm, add oil. When oil is hot, lightly cook onions and garlic. Arrange vegetables in layers on top of onion and garlic mixture. The ones with the longest cooking times go on the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle on the seasonings and herbs. Pour stock over the final layer. Cover the pot with its lid and simmer over campfire coals for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Leave the lid on until the cooking time is finished.

Free internet monitor
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map