Africa Guide
recommended trip :

re:

Overland Travel is Southern Africa
September 13, 2004 10:52AM
By Matthew
I'm considering a 24-day overland tour of which would take me through South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique and back to South Africa.

After consulting the Australian government website I was surprised to learn of the danger that they state in these areas. For example the website http://www.smartraveller.gov.au states that in Zambia "Landmines are still a danger along the borders with Angola, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mozambique and Zimbabwe" and of common "armed hold-ups, armed car hijackings, muggings and house break-ins. Car doors should be locked and car windows closed at all times."

For Malawi the offer the warning of " Walking in the capital, Lilongwe, is dangerous, particularly from the Old Town (shops and craft stalls) to the nearby new Capital City (nature sanctuary and embassies) with harassment, muggings and bag snatching being common" They site states similar facts for the other countries listed above

I'm after an exciting adventure but want to get back home in one piece. So, for anyone who has been on an overland trip and have a first hand experience did you encounter any difficulties on the roads or in the cities/towns/villages? Did you encounter anything listed above, or is the Australia government being over precautious?

Regards

Matthew Millsom.
Australia
 Reply  Quote

Foreign Office / Government Warnings
September 13, 2004 11:50AM
Matthew

Certainly here in England I feel that our Foreign Office travel warnings are always over cautious - to be point of scaring travellers away. I generally ignore them as 1000's of people travel to Africa each day and those that survive without a mishap don't make "news headlines"

They have to be over cautious - otherwise they may get sued - especially after events such as Bali bombing.

However, their warnings are correct but it's how much you read into them

** "Car doors should be locked and car windows closed at all times."

I assume they mean when not travelling - would this not apply in your country in a bit city...

"Landmines are still a danger along the borders with Angola, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mozambique and Zimbabwe"

Yes they are but I am sure the Overland companies know the places to avoid.

"and of common "armed hold-ups, armed car hijackings, muggings and house break-ins."

Quite frightening - might have happened several times in the last few years to a tourist - again you are travelling with a guide and group - so you are well protected.

"Walking in the capital, Lilongwe, is dangerous, particularly from the Old Town (shops and craft stalls) to the nearby new Capital City (nature sanctuary and embassies) with harassment, muggings and bag snatching being common"

I actually visit Malawi often: "harassment" - I get are the street hawkers constantly trying to sell you their wares...
""muggings and bag snatching being common" - don't carry a bag or in fact have many belongings on display - this happens in any big city
"muggings"

Besides the above Overland companies are travelling through all these countries on a daily basis and would not put their passengers lives in danger - they wouldn't stay in business long if they did.

I did this same route 2 years ago with a friend in our own vehicle and we did not once feel that our lives were threatened in any way.... although things did not go smoothly all the time - it was an exciting and memorable adventure.
 Reply  Quote

Foreign Office / Government Warnings
September 14, 2004 01:08AM
By Matthew
Thanks Wanderer for you quick and informative response. I guess if I let government warnings control my activities I will never go outside of Australia. It's good to know that you have done that overland trip in your own vehicle without encountering anything like what is warned in those countries.

Just one more question if I may, which is the best time of year to travel overland in Southern Africa, particularly in those countries mentioned above?

Thanks again,

Matthew.
 Reply  Quote

Best time
September 14, 2004 09:42AM
I am not sure how to quantify best time!!!

I travelled through that region in October/November and it was hot - very hot in Etosha and Mozambique, but I love the heat. It does depend on how you take to heat. I feel that the Etosha Game Park is fantastic in the hot/dry season - all the animals congregate at the waterholes and they are easy to spot.

Victoria Falls was in low flow - although I found it still to be a spectacular sight - many people said it should be visited in full flow.

South of South Africa winter time is in June / July and the Cape region can get fairly cold.

Jan/Feb is the raining season in Malawi and Mozambique - and although it doesn't rain all the time it can make some of the roads difficult and may not be ideal when camping.

Dec: is school holidays and the "highlights" get very busy in South Africa.

just some things to be taken into account - people do this route all year round... so I am sure you will have a great time whenever you travel.
 Reply  Quote

Zimbabwe
November 25, 2004 03:44PM
By lisa
Hello Matthew

I thought I could help you out, on Zimbabwe what would you like to know about the country and what are you interested in seeing , let me know as I think I could really help you out. Any thing else please let me know
 Reply  Quote

Zimbabwe
November 27, 2004 05:22AM
By Matthew
Hi Lisa,

I'll be travelling to Zimbabwe as part of an overland tour from Nairobi to Vic falls. I will be visiting Harare, Gweru, Bulawayo, and Vic falls. A lot of my friends have had shocked looks on their faces when I've told them that I will be travelling through Zimbabwe and said that I’m very brave. Is this reaction justified?

Matthew
 Reply  Quote

re:
November 27, 2004 09:50AM
By bob
Zimbabwe is safe enough for tourists and travellers, the local people are real friendly and everything is available in the shops if you have cash. I travelled through in 2001 and I was fine. Have fun.
 Reply  Quote

Zim
November 28, 2004 11:06AM
By lisa
Hi Matthew

Well for starters I have to say that Zim is not as bad as people make it out to be, they make it sound like if you go to Zim you are surely going to be mugged or hi jacked. All I can tell you is that Zim is just like every country, if you go anywhere near the (rural area) just make sure you are careful, wind up windows and lock doors (this is basically for precaution). Harare is fine lived there most of my life, but if you go into the centre of Harare, just make sure you watch valuables, cameras, ,money etc. if you want any other info please let me know would be glad to help, Vic falls is amazing and you should definately try making it during the raining season as its incredible but thats if there is no drought
lisa
 Reply  Quote

Zim
November 30, 2004 10:41PM
By Matthew
Hi Lisa

I thought so; if you listen to people who tell you that sort of off putting information you will never travel anywhere. I’ll be travelling with an overland group so I guess my safety will be increased rather than going alone. I’ve always wanted to visit Zimbabwe among other African countries and am really excited to be going there. I will be arriving at Vic falls at the end of January 2005, which will probably still be the raining season?
Matthew.
 Reply  Quote

Zim
December 01, 2004 12:36PM
By lisa
Yar sure will be the raining season and you are definately right ' if you always listen to what people say then you won't go anywhere'
When travelling with a group you will definately be safe no problem.
If you want to have a look at another amazing place in Zim there's Mana pools, which is around Vic falls and Kariba lake.
Would love to hear how your trip goes as am planing on taking my friend to Vic falls
Lisa V
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map