Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Safest way to travel

Medical Elective - Uganda or Kenya
November 06, 2006 03:42AM
Hi, Im (almost) in my 2nd last year of medicine and am in the process of organising my elective and really want to go to africa ... I have so far organised to go to Kisiizi Hospital in Uganda and am wondering if anyone has any advice on the safety - am I going to be safe? What can I do to make sure I am? Am I better of trying to get an elective in Kenya, and if so any advice on how I can do this? (most of the email addresses I have tried seem not to work!)

Thank you!

Edwina
 Reply  Quote

Medical Elective
November 08, 2006 06:25AM
Anonymous User
Dear Edwina,

I trust yo will be perfectly safe in Uganda. Kisiizi Hospital is located in Western Uganda. I am sure you will enjoy the natural mountaneous scenery and get time for Safari in the National Parks of Queen Elizabeth and Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.Send me email for more details.
 Reply  Quote

Kisiizi
November 23, 2006 12:33AM
By metking

Hey Ediwna,

Kisiizi is a pretty good place to do your elective at. I have lived in Uganda, and Kenya, but i promise you it is much more safer in Kisiizi than anywhere in Nairobi. It is cheaper too.
All you will need is to get ready to adopt to the people there. It is not hard coz alot of people speak English, but what you will need most is live a simple life and make friends with the people there. You will love it i promise you.

Am traveling to both countries this December
Best of luck

Metking
California.
 Reply  Quote

Uganda
January 09, 2007 02:59AM
Thanks for the encouragement - have been doing a bit of research and am getting pretty excited about the adventure!
One other thing I seem to be having trouble finding answers for is what is the safest and best way to travel around Uganda?

Thanks again,

Edwina
 Reply  Quote

Safest way to travel
January 09, 2007 08:10AM
By bizguru
Dear Edwina,
The best and safest way to travel around Uganda is by road using bus, taxi or self drive car-rental services.

You will of course make your choice after comparing the costs. If you have not made prior arrangements with Kisizi Hospital, I can offer to help pick you from Entebbe Airport to Kampala where you can then plan your travel to Kisizi Hospital.Please send email to confirm.
 Reply  Quote

take mi ward
January 09, 2007 12:33PM
By fredal
you will be safe and the good transport to us is by road so you will have to use bus
as areday my sister told you
you
she is ritah,rhonah and am fred we hope you will not regret please edwin
 Reply  Quote

Thanks - I feel safe!
January 20, 2007 02:51AM
Hi everyone,

Just want to say thank you for all the assurance - I am quite confident that I will be safe and now have only excitement for next summer when I will be in Uganda! (I still have to convince my parents, but hopefully it wont be too hard with all of your messages to support me!)

One other question - clothing: do people generally wear what they like (t-shirts, shorts...) or is it conservative with covered ankles etc?

Thanks you!

Edwina
 Reply  Quote

Uganda is a secular state
January 22, 2007 06:03AM
By bizguru
Edwina,

Uganda is a secular state. Shorts, T-shirts or mini-skirts mix with Islamic hijab and african traditional wear in both urban and rural settings.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map