Africa Guide
recommended trip :

crime

Security in East Africa
December 07, 2005 04:35PM
By jimbob
Hi/Jambo!

I've been offered a job that would involve travelling in East Africa (Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania) and some people have been warning me that it is often unsafe there.

I'm deciding whether to take the job at the moment, and I'll be living in Dar Es Salaam for 6 months next year, but travelling to Kampala and Nairobi. I'm very excited about seeing these countries, but a bit worried about violent crime. It would be great if anyone could tell me what it's really like.

Many thanks for any help!

James
 Reply  Quote

This countries are changing
December 08, 2005 12:12AM
By nebress
Hi james,
my name is reuben and i'm from dar, tanzania all i can tell you is you'll have great time being in africa and about safety you'll be fine life is changing even though time to time you hear people got into trouble as longer you are careful things will be fine. I can give my family home number just in case if you get stuck plus it's nicer to have the locals show you around.
We also have an accomodation in dar which you can get full servise plus it's safe. Rooms are available for next year. If you are interested I can send you some pics plus you'll be well looked after.
Take care and hope to hear from you.
 Reply  Quote

crime
December 15, 2005 06:47PM
By James
There IS crime but not to the extent of America of Britain, as I have had my last three friends killed there in the last year, SO I am in Africa (paradise) excuse the spelling.
It is safe here as into trouble yet ( police did take money from for going down way road) They had no receits) otherwise it is safe
James
 Reply  Quote

east africa is safe
December 25, 2005 01:15PM
By alen
come on. whats this bullshit, excuse the tone, about crime in east africa? i have personally had it with people who have no idea about how africans live waving travel advisories left right and centre from their boardrooms in europe and america with the guise of our countries being unsafe! please!!!!! this is the height of hypocisy and real falacy.

james, i am not saying that crime doesnt exist here. like someone said in the message board you guys out there are worse of than us. in dar es salaam i sit out in the open till the wee hours of the morning catching serious pints and not fearing that they'll slit my throat.

come on over and enjoy yourself boy. you only live once. and when your in town give me a shout and i'll buy you a beer....no several beers.

alen wekesa
a true believer in the freedoms of being AFRICAN
 Reply  Quote

safety in Dar
December 28, 2005 10:41PM
James,
I lived in the Mtwara region in Tanzania for more than 3 years. As most the others stated, the East African area is pretty safe. You just have to be alert, as you would be in any other city. When I was there I was mugged once (in Mtwara, not Dar) and had a friend who was car-jacked (in Dar). These things can happen anywhere, though. So know the areas not to go into and always be alert. Honestly, I felt more safe in Tanzania then in Los Angeles or San Francisco.

I wish I was going back. It is a wonderful place.
 Reply  Quote

nebress
July 27, 2006 11:46AM
By deen577
hello ther
you still have acomodations available?
i m romanian planing to move to tanzania
cornel577@yahoo.com
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map