Africa Guide
recommended trip :

visiting Tanzania

visiting Tanzania
November 09, 2004 04:58PM
By Claire
Hi,

I'm a postgraduate student who is comming to Tanzania for the first time in January. I will be based in Dar es Salaam for 3 months. I am coming to learn Kiswahili, and I would like to rent a room with a family in the city whilst I am there. Also I would like to know about the cost of living in Dar, how much would it cost to rent a room? How much should I allow for basic living costs - I don't want to live an extravagant life, but enough for an occasional beer etc, also I don't want to always shop in a supermarket as I think it would be better for my language learning if I shopped in the markets!
 Reply  Quote

CALL M BACK TO ME HAVE EMAILED YOU
November 15, 2004 11:03AM
By nasibun
IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF A HOUSE YOU NEED, YOU CAN GET FOR $200 UP TO $500, DEPENDING ON LOCATION AND SECURITY OF THE AREA IT SELF.WOULD YOU MIND TO STAY IN TOWN,
 Reply  Quote

dar es salaam
November 17, 2004 06:27PM
Anonymous User
Hi Claire,
I'm not sure about renting a room, I guess it all depends where -and with which family- you want to stay.
I'll try to ask around.
Life in dar is quite expensive, I imagine you could hardly do with less than 150 or 200,000 Tz Sh per months (about 150 to 200$). But that really is a minimum. A meal in a local restaurant will cost about 2$ to 3$, but if you want to eat western food it jumps to 10-15$.
Taxis are expensive (3 to 5$ a ride), bus dala-dala are not but not very practical.
Food in supermarkets is expensive (+30% compared to Europe), but relatively cheap in local markets.
Hope this helps,
Gilles
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map