Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Moving Back to SA

Moving Back to SA
June 12, 2011 04:27AM
By southie
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I have been living in Australia for some time and will be moving back to South Africa in November.

I am a bit unsure about driving licences.

I have a full Australian drivers licence and will be obtaining a international licence before I move. Will I be able to obtain a SA licence without having to sit it? It was no problem in Australia, so I would expect it would be the same over there?

Also, does this apply to a motorbike licence? Can this just be transferred?

I will be moving to PE.

Thanks
Paul
 Reply  Quote

July 13, 2011 12:43PM
Paul

Im sure its all the same ...you exchange your Australian licence for a SA drivers licence. Has to be a card photo licence. I dont believe you have to re-sit a test. My mom came to Scotland and exchanged her SA drivers Licence for a UK licence, after two years in UK, she moved back to SA and said she just sent her UK drivers licence in and exchanged it for SA licence. Dont know what the fee is.Sure the Motorbike licence is all part of drivers licence.

Im facinated to read that you are leaving Australi for SA. Would you please write back and tell me why. ????
I thought everyone wanted to be in Australia. Although, I have heard of a lot of South Africans that have not felt at home in OZ and returned.

Im in the UK and miss SA alot, struggling to decide wether to move back to SA. My husband qualifies on the highly skilled migrant program to move to Australia, but I have never been too sure about that option. We have never been to Australia for a start, but know of South Africans that live there and are happy then also know of SA's that have gone to look (never lived there LSD holiday) and decided its not for them. I am Confused, wondered what made you decide to move back to SA?

Good luck with your move in Nov.
Cheers
Leanne
 Reply  Quote

July 25, 2011 09:50PM
By Dooley
Hi

Not sure about Driver's Lic conversion. I too moved to Sydney and have a firm plan in place to move back home to Jhb ! We have great jobs at Tier 1 global companies, live in a great neighbourhood and my son attends a private school here in Sydney.

But that said, the cost of living away from family network and support structure ( babysitting etc ), son growing up isolated from the wider family network, grandparents, cousins etc is quite hefty price to pay.

We miss the general South african buzz. With all that we have here, there is a definite feeling of being disconnected. There is definatly something to be said for South Africans and the south african vibe. ( And I'm not naive, I am fully aware of the problems, but I'm not sure that this has been the right answer, nit for us anyway. )

So, if there are others who are or have moved back to ZA from Aussie, I need to pick up on some of the practical experiences like shipping goods and fundstransfers etc.

Would be good to hear from a few people to some knowledge sharing.

Otherwise, best of luck to all of you.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map