Africa Guide
recommended trip :

SA

Trip to Cape Town/Port Elizabeth
November 08, 2000 03:46PM
By Peter
We are traveling to SA in Feb 2001 for the first time.Any recomendations,things must see,restuarants,feedback about the area neg/pos would be appreciated.Thanks
 Reply  Quote

Peter traveling to Cape Town in Feb. 2001
January 05, 2001 11:45AM
Anonymous User
I went to Cape Town in 1994 (soon after Mandela took office). It was the best trip of my life. Before I went, I wrote to the South African Embassy (in New York, I think), and requested any info they could send. They sent me a ton of very helpful brochures, booklets and maps.

Make sure you do some of the following things:

Get a hotel (like the Cape Sun) with a room facing Table Mountain. Spectacular view and the staff at the hotel was wonderful.

Go to Green Market Square - excellent Flea Market and bargains galore - the exchange rate was 3.64 when I went - now it is over 7.00!

Take the cable car to Table Mountain. Breathtaking views.

Take one of the all day tours offered by the hotels that will travel down to very tip of the Cape. Excellent wildlife (although not a full safari), and the tour guides were friendly and informative. The tour I took also went along the coastal towns and to the Stellenbosch winery.

Take tons of pictures - and make sure you get them developed before you leave. That way you have a chance to go back and try and get the photos again if they didn't turn out.

So much to do and see: go to the beaches, parks, V&A Waterfront, and above all - talk to the people. They are all very friendly, and are great sources of info. I am still friends with people that I met in SA in 1994. However, don't get the wrong impression - all is not rosy in South Africa - it has one of (if not the) highest rape rates in the world, and carjackings are commonplace. So, use precautions you would use when traveling in any country (don't flaunt money, expensive jewelry, expensive cameras) and have a great time!
 Reply  Quote

Cape Town & the Garden Route
January 24, 2001 07:17PM
By judith
Phone Legend Tours and book places on their tour - it's fantastic and will give you a real insight into Cape Town Past and present.

If you are not going to hire a car, take their tour to the Cape Peninsula, too. Don't miss the penguins at Boulders Bay and sundowners and sea food at Hout Bay at sunset.

along the Garden Route, hike at Tsitsikamma Forest.

And don't stop at PE - go into the Eastern Cape!

You'll have a great time.

Best wishes
 Reply  Quote

SA
January 30, 2001 09:13AM
Anonymous User
My sister went to SA to teach in Tzaneen for 6 months and then she went travelling around SA.
Her email address is : S.L.Willson@exeter.ac.uk
She will tell you all about it if you email her.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map