Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Port Elizabeth a great place to live

Attn COLIN
February 15, 2005 12:45PM
By sean
Hi Colin, I have seen you mention a number of times you run a business and received help from the Eastern Cape Development Corp.

I would like to eventually start a business with my girlfriend in the PE area where she is from and would like to hear your experiences from setting up your business.
 Reply  Quote

Port Elizabeth a great place to live
February 23, 2005 03:19PM
By colin
Port Elizabeth is a great place to live, but a very difficult place to make a living.

I live there part time and am writing this from Changchun in China.

Getting the residents permit is painful but not impossible Colleen at the ECDC is a great help, you don’t need an agent who will just take your money.

We have a tour operator www.#####.com which we opened 6 years ago which improves every day but does not provide any wages, South Africa is quite an expensive place to visit and getting flights is difficult and expensive.

You need to be extremely careful if you want to start your own business. South African’s target daft foreigners with pounds to spend with great ideas that cost a fortune.

I bought the largest Township Tavern and lost all my money, it is a long story but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Getting finance is a nightmare, for any business finance you will need security of 1 ½ times what you borrow and even then the best interest rate you will get is 9.5%

I have just bought a building in Parliament St Central and have student accommodation and plan to open a bar a nightclub, getting the license will be the difficult bit.

If you don’t already look www.theherald.co.za gives you the news every day.

I don’t want to put you off but you need to be very careful.

It is a great place to live take no notice of anyone who says anything else, schools and hospitals (providing you pay) are great.
 Reply  Quote

try again
February 23, 2005 03:24PM
By colin
eastcape

tours
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map