Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Car Hire in SA

Car Hire and safety
September 06, 2002 11:14PM
By steve
Hi All,

We plan to visit SA in late November through early December from the UK. Naturally whilst doing our research through the excellent information available on-line we come across the well discussed subject of crime, car-jackings etc.

We intend to pretty much keep to the "tourist routes" and away from the major trouble spots. I am curious to know if a hire car can be spotted easily by it's Licence/Registration plate number?

This was the case apparently in Florida where criminals would target hire cars assuming them to have tourist occupants. If the cars got Avis, Budget etc plastered all over it there is not much one can do I suppose.

Anyone know if this is the case with Licence plates in South Africa?

Thanks in advance

Steve
 Reply  Quote

Plates
September 07, 2002 05:23PM
Anonymous User
We travelled through the north of SA last November with no trouble. We were in a Malawian vehicle, very obvious. I would say that its not a problem, after all locals hire cars too. The trouble spots in SA are usually the large cities, we were warned about J`burg and Durban, we didn`t go to either as they weren`t on our route, but we went to quite a few other smaller towns and never had any problems. Of course it does happen but not to everybody.

As you say keep to the tourist routes and ask the locals when you get there for opinions on areas, they know best.

Perhaps Avis can let you know of any special plates or markings on their cars in SA.

Phil J
 Reply  Quote

Car Hire in SA
October 11, 2002 06:26PM
By exken
Try www.#####.co.za
Very informative
Good luck
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map