Africa Guide
recommended trip :

life in Mauritius

life in Mauritius
January 13, 2007 07:09AM
By Penny
Hello there,

We are a family with 2 kids - 6 and 3 from France. There is a job opportunity in Mauritius for us and we are trying to decide. I have been trying to gather facts about living in mauritius and finding it difficult to know a lot about mauritius through internet. If anybody can help me answer a few questions I will be grateful.

What is the average cost of living for a family with 2 kids, nothing luxurious but comfortable?

Is there any school that offers french education system or equivalent? How high is the fee?

the office will be in the east coast of Mauritius, where is the most convenient place to reside, that is close to school and office?

Will we be needing car or can we rely on public transportation?

How much should we expect for a house with 3/4 rooms, yard with/without pool?

I'm planning to take up courses while in Mauritius, is there any place that offers courses for adult eg. languages, art, degree courses etc.?

Is it possible to get domestic help from time to time?

Many thanks,
Cheers.
 Reply  Quote

"life in Mauritius"
January 13, 2007 11:08AM
I don't really know about costs of living and so won't even attempt to answer that.

There are two schools that I know of which follow the French education system and they are Ecole du Nord in the north and Lycee Labourdonnais in Curepipe (Central) and they offer the bac.

As far as where you stay is concerned, this is a bit more tricky as it ties in with your other question. I would strongly recommend you get a car rather than relying on public transport.

If say you lived in Curepipe, then your children would be able to go to Lycee Labournnais easily and it's fairly easy to get to the East Coast by bus. But that would mean that getting to the beach during the weekend might be more hassle.

Finally regarding evening/weekend courses are not really catered for in Mauritius but you can always try and find someone for private tuitions who would cater for your needs.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map