Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Travelling to Malawi

trip to malawi
May 17, 2003 12:46PM
Anonymous User
Hi,

I'm travelling solo to Malawi in June and was after any recommendations for places to visit / avoid (and not just lakeside resorts).

Also, how easy is it to travel around by local transport and are places to stay easy to find (Should I take a lightweight tent or is this a bit OTT?)

Let me know!!

Thanks

John
 Reply  Quote

Trip to Malawi
May 29, 2003 01:54PM
Anonymous User
Visit Mulanje mountain,downmountain you will view probably the most spectacular view of tea plantations. You take a bus or mini bus from Blantyre to Mulanje/Mozambique Border, drop at Chitakale (There is a road junction for Phalombe. From there you hitch-hike up to Likhubula.

It is from there you will get guiders to the mountain up to 3002 metres.

All the best.

Maya
 Reply  Quote

re
May 29, 2003 04:29PM
Anonymous User
If you are near Zomba then Zomba plateau is well worth a few days, there is a campsite at the top near the lodge, good walks and great scenery.

Phil J
mod
 Reply  Quote

security
October 09, 2003 05:23AM
Anonymous User
so you all seem to know malawi very well and you john have been there in june.
what do you think is the situation in malawi in terms of security ( compared to european standards)?
did you feel secure when you've been there. do you have recommendations for us.
us is me, birgit an my boyfriend franz. we want to go to malawi in november and travel there by bike.
what, john, was your experience according to the tent?
and do you have even more recommendations, what we should see?

thanks a lot
birgit
 Reply  Quote

biking in Malawi
April 20, 2004 03:18AM
Anonymous User
Hi,

I'm currently trying to put together a bike tour in Malawi and possibly Tanzania and Kenya this June and July. I'd love to hear about your trip and get any info/suggestions from you.

Hope to hear from you.

Mike
 Reply  Quote

Trip to Malawi
May 07, 2004 11:39AM
By nic
So many things you should do...
...surely a 'must' is a trip to the lake. Rise early and watch the fishermen in their dug-outs. Defintely need to try Chambo - the local fish. It's delicious! (don't get it confused with Chamba!!!!)

Livingstonia - another must!

Lilongwe - give it a miss! Too many pizza restaurants and supermarkets.

Local transport is the best way to see Malawi, although prepared to be persuaded by the local into buying their products (but better they get your money than Shoprite!). Wooden carvings are everywhere!

Get yourself and guidebook and enjoy...!

If you want to know more I'll happily oblige...let me know.
 Reply  Quote

Travelling to Malawi
May 27, 2004 03:16PM
Anonymous User
Hi john,
have you ever travelled in Africa?
If you havent it okey. I am from malawi visiting th e US, I am planing to go back there in june also and I could help you with a lot of info about what to do and avoid email me @ slinas03@hotmail.com
Thanks,
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map