Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Biking

Mountain Biking Mt Kenya!
March 13, 2005 10:49PM
Hello,

does anyone know if it is possible to mountain bike up (and down!) mt kenya - I have heard of the 10 to 4 race on the mountain but that only goes up 10k ft - how far up the mountain is it possible to go on a bike?

Any feedback would be welcomed either as a post to this message or please email me at stephen.heylings@gmail.com

Many thanks
 Reply  Quote

Biking
March 15, 2005 05:10AM
By Dink
Hey Stephen:

You won't be able to ride the whole way up. There's two peaks: one requires technical climbing skills/gear (Batian), and the other is climb-able (Lanana). I hiked up Lanana (16,000+ ft) in 1997. Once you begin approaching the final overnight point (The Austria Hut), you are working on steep scree slopes and very steep cut-backs. This is not able to be biked. But you could ride a good portion of the way up, and perhaps lock your bike for 1 day as you hike the last portion before you sleep and summit on the next morning. We descended the entire mountian the day we reached the summit (on foot, of course). There's numerous trails up; I can only advise you on the route we took (I forget the name of it). Hope this helps.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map