Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Cost of life in Coast area, Kenya: is my friend being used??

My friend has met a Kenyan girl in August 2010 and fell in love with her.

Since August, he is sending her around 75000 KES a month.. She uses the money for paying rent, water, electricity, shopping, ... She has no other income.

The last 3 months she is telling my friend that she needs more money??

I'm worried about all this so i am asking the kenyans on this forum: how much money is needed to give a good and normal life at Coast area in Kenya??

Thank you for your opinions on this one!

A.M.
 Reply  Quote

Most Kenyans live on half that, have families and pay rent. If its just her, KES75,000 is a lot of money per month. But then, it depends on the lifestyle she is living. Maybe she is high maintenance smiling smiley
 Reply  Quote

But why on earth is she sending her any money?? Tell him to wake up otherwise the girl will leave him high and dry. Have they even met??
 Reply  Quote

I wouldn't just send money...

Reply  Quote

Welcome to the club.. hot smiley;

What will be happend, if he reject the next time:
* the Grandma will die ... -the 3. time this year;
* the Mother will be beaten by... (whatever);
* Uncle/Nice (whatever) need to go in Hospital, for an (of course *SUPRISING*) very expensive Operation.. smileys with beer.

Lesson, with €750 she can have a very comfortable Life there...., than she will start "Businesses", such like Saloon, Car (Hire/Taxi; Matatu).. *ohhhh, buy land, build me a House..!??! =There are thousands of those Storys "on the Market"
On the End (majorly..!!) she have his local Friend /Husband, what will be feeded from the Mzungu (white Man!) too... confused smiley

Me, I don't understand why a Community is acting sooo badly like this... AND!? If you want to see "my" >>>black<<< Son, go on!
There are realy Actors, without any Heart! YES I love this country, but will I ever trust somebody again there: ???

You will heare now, from your Friend: NOooooo, myone is different...; and there is NOTHING! you can do. Even if he don't sent Money for 2-3 Month, there will be completly Quietness.. AND! after this he pay twice & trice drinking smiley.

Unfortunately even "to see the Parents" isn't a safe way for him...; I saw the Mother of myone several Times (and know about a hard Discussion there!); BUT!? What you will do if the Daughter is to stupid for understanding her Chance..!??!?
We could make now a Minimum of KES200000/Month Profit, with aprox. 20 Employees imagine! 20 Familys there could live a better Life.... BUT NO, NO Employees, a big whole in Budget, a Car what NOT drive anymore... AND >She< is back to the Beach for Massage..... the finger smiley (after 2 Saloons; a Farm and so on and son on!)

Probably this open his eyes, but even I wouldn't believe it.

All the best!
 Reply  Quote

75. 000 Shillings is a lot of money, however it does depend on someones life style.
On coast life is not as expensive as in Nairobi.

A two-bedroomed unfurnished apartment will cost around 18.000 to 30.000 shilling - the last option with air-conditioning.
Water is mostly included in the rent and for electricity - count 1000 shilling for one person per month max.

Life is not only about a place to live and eating.
There will always be wishes like an internet connection at home, a laptop, transportation, language courses, outings, and it depends how far your friend wands to contribute for his partner for those items.

Your friend choose a partner who is presently not having income herself.
An average low-paid job will raise 7 - to 10 thousand shillings, though these jobs only do not provide for life-support, thus other recourses are needed even for full-time workers to make ends meet.

Off course people, incomes and choices are different.
75.000 shilling for one person is a lot of money from my point of view.

Mtwapa Info [www.mtwapa.info]
Mtwapa Forums [www.mtwapa.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 04:32PM by Mtwapafan.
 Reply  Quote

Mtwapafan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A two-bedroomed unfurnished apartment will cost
> around 18.000 to 30.000 shilling - the last option
> with air-conditioning.

But this is not what the local people live like..! My Ex paid 2-2,5K p.Month!

> Water is mostly included in the rent and for
> electricity - count 1000 shilling for one person
> per month max.

WITH electricity but without Water
>
> There will always be wishes like an internet
> connection at home, a laptop, transportation,

Hey, you mix-up Foreigner and local "Ways of stay"! I don't know anybody (from hundrets, who has Landline with internet at Home!!

Reply  Quote

PT_Kaloleni Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But this is not what the local people live like..!
> My Ex paid 2-2,5K p.Month!

It depends, we have poor, middle class and rich people.
You can even get a room for 1.5K, would you come over and sleep at your wifes place?

> Hey, you mix-up Foreigner and local "Ways of
> stay"! I don't know anybody (from hundrets, who
> has Landline with internet at Home!!

Kenyans are not supposed to stay at foreigner ways of stay, how hypocrite.
I live in a comfortable apartment (without foreigners) have internet connection, a few laptops and so does my (Kenyan) partner.

People are different, relationships are different, decisions and standards of living are different too.

Mtwapa Info [www.mtwapa.info]
Mtwapa Forums [www.mtwapa.info]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 09:03AM by Mtwapafan.
 Reply  Quote

@Kaloleni PT guess depends on the category of people you interact with(no offence meant). But to make a generalization is completely wrong. What makes you think only foreigners can afford a certain lifestyle? You need to move and expand your horizons, all my friends have internet at home, pay not less than 60,000 for rent.And they are all locals.

But they work hard too to make the money, i completely disapprove of someone sitting in the house expecting someone to send them 75k every month

As mtwapafan says, It depends, we have poor, middle class and rich people regardless of country of origin. People are different, relationships are different, decisions and standards of living are different too.
 Reply  Quote

It would be safer for this guy to come over meet this girl and if the love still blossoms, marry her and they manage their finances together. No money is enough for anyone and soon your buddy will be working himself away just to sustain a person all out of love..........ouch!!!!!!!!!!!the things people do for love.....................all the best to you and to him as you advise him...........
 Reply  Quote

If i had that kind of expenditure alone!!!! well i would have to work for it and enjoy it. But staying home idle and have someone send me 75k that is exploitation and extravagance.

But why are you complaining on behalf of your friend, does he have issues with the same?
 Reply  Quote

KALOLENI HMMM WHO TELLS YOU EVERYONE IN AFRICA IS POOR MY MONTHLY BUDGET IS DOUBLE WHAT HAS BEEN STATED AND YES I AM KENYAN. DO NOT GENERALIZE.....MTWAPA IS A SHODDY PLACE WITH BARS AND STUFF BUT TO GET DECENT ACCOMODATION IS EXPENDIVE UNLESS YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A CHEAP MUD SWAHILI HOUSE WITH NO ELECTRICITY. A DECENT PERSON WILL WANT TO LIVE IN A DECENT NEIGHBORHOOD. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT GOES ON IN MTWAPA BUT IM NOT GENERALIZING... DON'T MESS UP A RELATIONSHIP THAT MIGHT JUST BE WHAT YOUR FRIEND NEEDS smiling smiley
 Reply  Quote

If U guys mean that the Salary of an Poolboy /Waiter with aprox 6K work 2gether with U a Accom expetations =fine! -it's up to you..!!

I see People like this, even some there earn 200/day as Slaves of yours!!! hot smiley And this I can NOT accept!

How does it works tht some pay just 2,5K or less, due the Park-fee is US$60-80, the Marinepark-fee is 1 - 1,5K AND! I can pay in Nairoby Trattoria the whole Salary of an hard worker (for just half an evening..!), due others earn Millions...!? angry smiley

Just ask yourself: Why I can NOT; could NOT; don't need to pay this high ammounts, while living in an well established, civilized City, with very good Infrastructure !?

And now comming to Kenya... and pay double and tripple..!?!? -Thts foolish!

But fine, everybody who likes to advise me for an well paid Job like this, will be VERY! Welcome the finger smiley. (As I wouldn't know, that everybody ran fastest away now..! moody smiley )

Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map