Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Malariaprophylaxe

Malariaprophylaxe
July 20, 2005 07:17AM
By wickie
My wife an i are planning a guided camping trip to the north of botswana (okavango, chobe and vic fall)in october 2005. All german doctors and vaccine institutes are recommending a malaria prophylaxe with malarone or lariam. We would appreciate if someone could answer some questions to us.

Are there really much moskitos in the dry season in this area ?
How high is really the risk of an malaria infection ?
How do safari guides and inhabitants protect themselves or are they all already infected?
Is there another medecine we can use ?
Is it enough to use a standby prophylaxe ?

We appreciate every response and hope for answers soon.
 Reply  Quote

Mosquitoes
July 20, 2005 07:29PM
LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-05 AT 03:46 AM (GMT)

After living in Botswana for many years I can tell you
-The mosquitoes can get very bad, especially after the rainy season or around the Okavango swamps
-People who live here don't get vaccines. Is there a chance of malaria? Yes but very small. I think I can recall 1 person who got malaria in my 18 odd years of living here
-So it is up to you what you want to take. There are many things for it. I would recommend bringing something just as a standby...or if the vaccine has little reaction and is in the budget get that. Better safe than sorry
 Reply  Quote

re
July 21, 2005 09:07AM
Anonymous User
I have travelled in these areas in the dry season without any prophylaxes or incidence of Malaria.

If you choose to take it or not is up to you, but I always sleep in a mosquito net (even in so called mosquito proof hotel rooms), always have thin material but baggy long trousers and a long sleave shirt, both are usually on by the time the day starts to get dimmer and the sun is starting to set (thats when mozzies are most active) and kept on all evening, and I always have plenty of mozzy repellant and splash it on all exposed parts. And for a few pounds you can buy a head net for when they come and bother your face and neck.

I rarely get bitten, its the best defense...

Phil J
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map