Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Mzilikazi

Mother Patrick
June 01, 2002 10:41PM
Anonymous User
I would like to know about her too. I think she was a Nun in South Africa - and there was a house named after her at Queen Elizabeth Girls' School,in Harare (when it was named Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia)
 Reply  Quote

mother patrick
June 07, 2002 06:15PM
By fcats
In three weeks time I will be in Harare and when I manage to learn about her I will come back to this forum. Do you know about other well known Zimbabweans as well, Helen? Their burielplaces and their lifestories?
 Reply  Quote

Mother Patrick
June 09, 2002 07:34AM
Anonymous User
No, I'm afraid not. I went to school there many decades ago but most of the history was about European settlers or traders or missionaries (Rhodes, Speke, Livingstone etc) The only big figure from the past of African origin that I remember was Lobengula - and I presume he was buried in Bulawayo. Enjoy your trip!
 Reply  Quote

mother patrick
June 10, 2002 10:00AM
Anonymous User
Hey fcats,

here's some info for you.

“There’s a fairly large Irish population in Zimbabwe, and we always had a day long celebration on St. Patrick’s Day. At six in the morning we would go to mass, which is a tradition in most countries. Then we would go to the pioneer cemetery and visit the grave of Mother Patrick, who was one of the first Irish settlers and started the first Irish Catholic school in Zimbabwe.”

found at:
http://www.macalester.edu/weekly/archive/99-03-15/other/backpage.htm

There is also a Mother Patrick's Mortuary in Harare if you fancy that..

Please do come back and tell us all any info on this or anything else on Zim you find out. These forums are all about sharing tips and knowledge, thanks.

Phil J
 Reply  Quote

Mzilikazi
July 27, 2002 07:53PM
By fcats
Just returned from a trip to Zimbabwe.No chance to visit the pioneer cemetary but we did visit chief Mzilikazi's grave in the Matopos hills near Bulawayo. Quite difficult to find but the landlady of the lodge where we stayed was willing to take us there. Very impressive and the spot is breathtakingly beautifull.
 Reply  Quote

mother Patrick
August 30, 2001 04:13AM
By fcats
Can anyone tell me who mother Patrick was? She is buried at the Pioneer cemetary in Harare.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map