Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Camping on the beach in Mozambique

Camping on the beach in Mozambique
September 22, 2004 04:31AM
Anonymous User
Hi there people!

A bunch of varsity mates (10 - 20 maybe) and I are very keen to camp in Mozambique during December, but need some advice. We want to camp on the beach in an isolated area and really rough it for approximately a week before Christmas.

We have 4x4's at our disposal, and are also hopefully gonna be taking some motorbikes and jetski's.

How much water does an average person consume in 1 day (so we know how much to take). Also, is it worthwhile to take all our water with us in bottles and tanks, or can we easily and safely purify river water?

What kind of weather can we expect during that time of year on the coast? Can we rely only on tents, or must we bring some sort of reinforcements for them, or make an alternative plan for accomodation? I expect winds to be high on the beach - will normal tent stakes keep the tents secure?

What kind of protection will we need against mosquitos (and, implicitly, malaria)? Taking tablets be enough, or must we coat ourselves in Tabard for the duration?

Safety-wise, are we likely to encounter any problems during our stay, considering that we will probably choose a very isolated area to stay in? Can you recommend any parts of the coast that are not very frequently visited?

Anything else that we should plan for? Will normal beachwear (boardshorts, couple of t-shirts maybe, slops, and maybe a warm outfit(including waterproof stuff)) be sufficient, or must we pack other kinds of clothes too?

What I know about camping is dangerous, which is why all of these questions may sound dumb! Fortunately, most of the rest of the group have done the African experience a few times, so they have a clue!

Any response, comments, useful tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

Many thanks
Colin.

PS> Please use the "SEND ME AN EMAIL" link if you want to make contact with us, or simply post a reply on the forum - I will be checking it regularly. Shot!
 Reply  Quote

camping mozambique
April 11, 2005 07:52PM
By bennie
Hi
Im planning to travel up mozambique and kenia and backfrom south africa in Feb 2006. Camping in tents. Is there any news from any one who done it before. Is it safe to camp outside. is there any laws and regulations against camping on remote areas.
What is the sutiation in mozambique, and is there any tips.
Have my own 4x4 is there any beach and fishing laws.
Thank you
Bennie
 Reply  Quote

Sounds great but...
November 23, 2005 09:31AM
the days of 'free-camping' in Moz are long over and if you do just pitch camp on a nice remote beach, you are likely to be greeted by someone asking you to pay a hefty fine. In the south you could consider the Maputo Elephant Reserve, or otherwise you will have to go way north of the Zambezi river. Look at a good website for most of the answers.

Mike www.@#$%&.com
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map