Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Moving to Cairo from UK, please help......

Hi,

I am moving to Cairo to be with my Egyptian girlfriend. I have some questions if anyone can help I would be grateful.

I want to ship my car to Alexandria and collect.
Is it easy to get car through customs and would I have to pay to keep it in country?

Can I get anything longer than a one month tourist visa, and if so can I extend in Egypt? I will be marrying eventually, but would like to get a job first. My background is interior design, and teaching art, I have a BA(hons) Textiles, but am willing to teach English.

Many thanks,
Barry UK
 Reply  Quote

car easy and visa too
July 26, 2007 10:41AM
Hi Barry,

Egyptian customs are pretty high but you can manage with some bribe, they call it undertable. It depends on the engine power of your car, it could be anywhere from 40% and up for more than 1000cc.

As far as visa is concern, tourist visa is for max 3 months, although they issue initially for just 1 months any visa type. If you took business visa, you can get upto 6 months stay and for more than that you will need to pay around EGP150 for extension, until then its free. But every month or two you need to extend.

Please remember, the movement you land, register in nearest passport office that you arrived within 7 days to avoid fine. Then after couple of days apply for extension, don't wait till end of your term as Egyptian government don't have computers in offices so every thing manual as it will take anywhere between 3 to 6 weeks for police varification. As per law you will get 15 days after the validity of visa, in that time you can go out of Egypt.

As for job, your both subjects not well taken, so difficult to get job. Remember most Egyptian still don't know English. Dont take any job unless its well documented by law or they will not pay you salary or kick you out any time as they like.

As for wedding, as caution, Egyptian girls are very short tempered and don't keep faith on their husbands. Initially during courtship, people not feel this but eventfully this have to be faced. Weddings are 2 types, one is just like signing an affidavit in front of advocate, which is legal in public but not in government and one needed to be sign in front of magistrate, that is legal in law.

you can contact me via my profile, for any egypt legal details.
 Reply  Quote

getting my car into egypt
February 23, 2008 02:16PM
hi there
anyone has any idea how can i get my car into egypt from the uk.we bought a house in sharm el sheikh and i wiould like to keep my car in sharm.please help me maybe a site which deals with that or some infos about the subject.thanks a lot
 Reply  Quote

Moving to Cairo
January 22, 2009 07:18AM
Dear friend,

Shipping your vehicle to Cairo is subject to the regulations of the Egyptians customs department. You "as a tourist" is permitted to bring your vehicle into Egypt for an initial period of three months for a EGP500.00, then extend the duration for another three months for EGP1000. Under no circumstances you are permitted to keep your vehicle beyond this six months period. You are required to either take the vehicle out of the country for an equivalent period that it stayed in the country, or place the vehicle in a registered customs warehouse for the same period it stayed in the country, after which time you can pay similar fees for 3 + 3 months, and so on. The law allows for bringing your vehicle into Egypt permanently but at prohibiting customs fees. For example, my vehicle is Toyota Fortuner 2006 3200CC, the customs for bringing it into Egypt permanently is EGP550,000, the vehicle's price as new is only EGP200,000, hence the total vehicle price would then be EGP750,000. Hope this helps.

Yours,

Ibrahim
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map