Africa Guide
recommended trip :

cost of living in Dar-es-salaam

November 13, 2004 03:42PM
Anonymous User
hi
My husband has got a job in Dar-es-salaam.He has been informed that a furnished house will be provided & the living expenses incl. water , electricity & school fees for 2 children will be about 600$.is this correct??
Pls let me know asap.
 Reply  Quote

this is the situation
November 17, 2004 11:41AM
Anonymous User
it depends on what class of school you want your children to go,if high quality up to 1000$ per annum per,if small ones they can do with that amount they have told you, tell me in which class are your kids, and which type of sylabus tanzanian or international one?call me back
nasibun@uccmail.co.tz or mobile +255744800185/+255748500185
 Reply  Quote

cost of living in Dar
November 18, 2004 09:20AM
By Nicolet
Hi,
Electricity is really expensive: about 1.5$/airconditioner/night, which means that if you run three aircons at night (in 3 different rooms), electricity bills will easily run into 200$ per month. Water is not very expensive (about 40$ per month), unless your house is in Msasani, in which case it has to be brought by truck, and then it's more like 150-200$ per months.
Schools: it really depends where you send your kids. The IST (Int. School of Tanganyika, best school in Dar) costs about 1,000$/month/kid if I'm right.
There are many shcools of course, but educational standards tend to be very low in Tanzania.
There is another fairly good "international school" called the Heaven of Peace, but it's a religious shool and it is located outside of the city center (about 1/2 hour drive, on the way to Bagamoyo).
Leaving on 600$ a month may be possible for a family, but I don't think it's going to be easy.
Hope this helps,
Gilles
 Reply  Quote

cost of living
December 31, 2004 03:23AM
Anonymous User
Dear Mr Enock
Thx for your reply .My kids are 13 yrs & 10 yrs old.I am looking for a british or indian syllabus school.International school fees are way too expensive.
regards
sunil nair
 Reply  Quote

cost of livinng
December 31, 2004 03:26AM
Anonymous User
Dear giles
Thx for your reply.I am being offered a company furnished accomodation & company maintained car.I need to spend on kids fees,electricity , food & entertainment.Would 600$ per mth be enough for this?? could you reply to my mail id??
regards
sunil
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living in Tanzania
March 08, 2005 05:38PM
By Tertia
Jambo
My husband is considering taking a job based in Dar - we will be responsible for our accommodation, electricity, water, food, nanny / domestic and DSTV. what kind of costs will these expenses incur? what costs are we looking at for a 3 bedroom house in the Peninsula. what are the security issues (if any) that we need to consider with the house. Besides my husband and I there is also my nine month old son.we urgently need to make a decision by lunch time on Wednesday 9 March so any feedback to my e-mail address would be greatly appreciated. warm regards
 Reply  Quote

March 30, 2005 05:22PM
By deepu
Hi!!

Was surfing the net for pretty much the same reason. Are you now based in Dar-es-salaam. Need to know about the schooling available, my daughter is 5yrs. What about the living expenses?

Appreciate your advise.

Thanks and Regards
Deepu
 Reply  Quote

Cost of Living
March 30, 2005 05:29PM
By deepu
Dear Sunil,

I am presuming you are there already. We have got an opportunity to be in Dar-es-salaam on these terms,

- housing and car will be provided by the company
- schooling and living expenses,recreation will have to be borne by us

Please advise what would be schooling in an Indian/English school. My child is 5 years old.

Looking forward to your inputs

Regards
Deepu
 Reply  Quote

moving to Tanzania
September 05, 2005 01:11AM
By kumarn
Hi,

My family and I are moving to Tanzania soon. We are unable to find much information on the net and had a few queries. Hope you are able to help me with these.

Firstly, I need to know what the school fees are, both for Indian as well as international schools. My daughter is six years old and would be attending primary school.

Second, what are the good areas to live. Are there seperate expat compounds. Which are the greener areas, which would be secure as well.

Look forward to your quick response
Regards
 Reply  Quote

Dar cost of living
September 05, 2005 01:14AM
By kumarn
Hi,

What are the good schools at Dar and what are the good areas to live in. Would appreciate your inputs from the research you have undertaken.

regards
kumarn
 Reply  Quote

Living expense in Tanzania
September 22, 2005 03:43PM
Hi
I have been offered a job in Tanzania ( Dar Es salaam), with monthly salary of 3340 USD + house + car + yearly travel allowance. Is this good enough for a comfortable living and some saving? I was working in a good position in India and obviously I am nervous for such a major change. my daughter is 6 years old. what kind of school is available there? How much can I pay for school fees out of the salary I mentioned above?
i will be greatful to get as much detail as possible.
 Reply  Quote

Hi
I have been offered a job in Tanzania ( Dar Es salaam), with monthly salary of 2500 USD + house + car + yearly travel allowance. Is this good enough for a comfortable living and some saving? my daughters are 5 years & 5 months old. what kind of school is available there ? How much can I pay for school fees out of the salary I mentioned above? what are the standards of market areas & facilities for a family to consider settling in there.
i will be greatful for your information
 Reply  Quote

Information/Feedback required.
September 06, 2006 09:39AM
Hii,
I am an engineer presently working in the middleeast.I have a job offer in Dar as saalam and the negotiation for the CTC is on process.In the same context,would appreciate if you can give me a feedback in conjunction with the details below...
Company : Quality Group
CTC:monthly salary $2100+House rent allowance $ 600+vehicle allowance $450+other benifits.
Well,my real worry is that will the above mentioned be sufficent to have a decent class of living.My family consists of 3members.
Look ahead for a reply ASAP.
 Reply  Quote

October 03, 2006 11:39AM
By tzguide
Hi Dinesh
Your Salary is not structured, i assume you are an expat.
Please give full break up.
Overseas Savings
Local Salary
Housing provided / Allowance
Car Provided / Allowance / Loan
Medical
Passage whether yearly or what?
Tax taken care or not.

Please reply
 Reply  Quote

working in tanzania
October 14, 2006 06:09AM
By pandit
Tanzania is very expensive palce. costs compared to India are about 3 to 7 times. be careful while accepting offers. also be careful with yur contracts. make sure the company does not keep your passport as they literally treat you like slave after that. they can cut your money at will for any reason and accord it to company policies. as you do not have your passport, you can only take the shit. if you want to go on leave, these companies want you to deposit 3 months salary with it. thus you are completely bound. it can turn into a nightmare. also if these companies fire you, they do not give any notice pay...they can ask you to exit within two days and not pay you at all. sometimes they even refuse to give tickets for you and your family. if you do not have your passport with you, you have to take it lying low. also good schools are very few and they cost USD 1000 a month besides deposits, admission fee of USD 5000 etc. Indian school is extremely bad. housewives make for teachers. be careful while accepting any offer
 Reply  Quote

Information schooling and security
October 21, 2006 06:27AM
By tvsk
Dear Mr. Pandit,

I have got an offer in Dar Es Salaam with Basic salary of US $5000 + $1000 living expenses and Fully furnished apartment + Company car. They agreed for a eduction expenses for my son. I just want to know which school is better in Dar Es salaam. My son is in Class 1 in UAE. Is international schools admit with back ground from Indian based curriculam? Secondly, how about in general security in Dar Es salaam? Is it moderately safe? I appriciate response.
 Reply  Quote

Job Offer in Dar Es Salaam
December 01, 2006 08:13AM
By ravi
Dear Mr.Sunil,

This has reference the mail sent by wife.

I have an offer from Hasham Jamal Group. Please update me about the group.

The offer is 350 USD for Local (Net of Taxes) + Housing + Electricity + Medical + Water + any other benefit and USD 900 (Net of tax) to my India account.

We are 2 members only. Is the salary offered sufficient?

Thanx

Ravi
 Reply  Quote

Living in Tanzania
December 15, 2006 09:34AM
Hi,
I have received this offer from one company in Dar. Is it worth going there with following facilities?

Salary - US$ 650.00 per month, for an initial period of two years.
Annual paid leave 28 days per annum. Return fare to India provided once every two years.
Accommodation - bachelor status shared accommodation provided by us.
Transport - Free transport to and from place of work provided by us.

kindly reply

Regards,

Yogesh
 Reply  Quote

Dear Mr. Ravi,

I am being offered a job in Tanzania, where they are offering me 700 USD/month and Furnished 3 Bed Room accommodation with electricity & water paid by employer, company-maintained car. These things are mentioned in my contract.

Besides the above, they are giving me in writing ---- but not mentioning in the contract---that they would be remitting an agreed amount into my Indian account.

Kindly confirm how safe is this arrangement, namely, they are not
mentioning the Indian amount in the contract.?

Thanks and regards

Bush..Mumbai..6 JAN 2007
India
 Reply  Quote

Dear Mr.Pandit,

I am being offered a job in Tanzania, where they are offering me 700 USD/month and Furnished 3 Bed Room accommodation with electricity & water paid by employer, company-maintained car. These things are mentioned in my contract.

Besides the above, they are giving me in writing ---- but not mentioning in the contract---that they would be remitting an agreed amount into my Indian account.

Kindly confirm how safe is this arrangement, namely, they are not
mentioning the Indian amount in the contract.?

Thanks and regards

Bush....6 JAN 2007
India
 Reply  Quote

living expanses in Tanzania
October 18, 2007 02:24PM
Hi,
I have been offered a 6 months contract in Tanzania.... I just want to know how much will be my living expanse(if i live in medicore hotel or in good hotel), food expanse and travel expanse. Also please tell me that whether travelling in Tanzania by Taxi is safe for the foreigners or not.

Please email me the answers.Will wait for the prompt respone.. Thanks...my email add is immi_000@hotmail.com.

BR
Imran
 Reply  Quote

hello
October 29, 2007 10:09AM
hello, cost of living in dar is @ Rs.5000/- excluding ur accomodation for a bachalor. if u r getting acco fascility then it's ok.
 Reply  Quote

Employment in Dar es Salaam
February 25, 2008 08:19AM
Hi,

my family and I am considering relocating to Dar es Salaam. We have been there and fell in love with the people as well as the area. I came across a post on this forum regarding cost of living in Dar es Salaam and thought this might be good place to enquire about employment. I have been looking at employment in Dar, but cant seem to find any listings etc. on the internet, and the ones where I thought might be possibilities never came back to me, it seems that people moving there are mostly offered positions from within there own companies etc. I am currently in the IT industry, but am even considering other areas or starting my own business. I would appreciate some feedback regarding this...

Regards,
Bertus
 Reply  Quote

Salary to be asked
December 04, 2008 02:46PM
By Manu
I got a job in a IT distribution co at dar es salam their offer
No of people: 2
Salary: 150,000 tanzania'n shillings
Med: would be provided
House: in a India locality please ref how much it costs
Pls ref is it OK how would be the right salary to ask
Thanks & Regards
Manu
 Reply  Quote

Cost of Living in Dar es Salaam
December 16, 2008 01:16PM
By game

Expats in Dar
December 30, 2008 06:08AM
Well, I am just against the idea of expats comming to Dar for work.

We just have too many of them around, so please stop comming over here.
 Reply  Quote

Hi I an planning to Dar If u r threr please let me know how safe is dar to relocate with famaly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 02:48PM by Dipakhaldar.
 Reply  Quote

Hello,

What do u mean 600 usd per term/month or what exactly,,they must be joking,,,schools, i mean good schools are much more expensive, but depending on what u ment exactly!!!
 Reply  Quote

Re: cost of living in Dar-es-salaam
December 18, 2010 05:46AM
Hi, i am offered a job in Dar es Salaam paying 800 US with Accommodation but it starts in February.I am from the Caribbean.Can i survive on that.i am single.

Jin
 Reply  Quote

December 18, 2010 05:47AM
However, i have to provide food
 Reply  Quote

Hai friends

I have an offer from Estim construction co. Tanzania (Dar-es-salaam). They offered 2100$ salary and local allowance is 8, 00,000 Shilling + family accommodation +yearly return ticket and company provided car. Can you please advise me that the local allowance is enough to live with my wife and one daughter the one who is studying in 5Th std. and please let me know the school expanses and living expenses?
I really thanks for your co operation in this matter
Raj
 Reply  Quote

July 28, 2013 11:20AM
By cowboy
Hi!Can one buy residential property in tanzania or even buy agricultural land?
 Reply  Quote

May be for you it is expensive to live there - Generally due to the huge influx of UN people personal in recently years. House rent will be specially costly although May be you have to pay $600 - $1000 per month on anywhere with high-quality facilities and security. For your children international schools there but too expensive.
 Reply  Quote

Hi,
i am offered a job in Dar es Salaam paying 960000 tanzania'n shillings+1000$ + Accommodation .I am from the india.i am single.should i able to survive in dar es salaam plz help.
 Reply  Quote

Hi friends,

I have been offered job in Dar es salaam, planning to relocate along with family of 3 adults & 1 kid. Though company is providing with accomodation + car. all websites are showcasing that cost of living is higher here when compared to Mumbai . What would be monthly expenses in terms of USD for a middle class family ( grocery,clothing,restaurant once/twice in a week, generic medicines, electricity, water...). I need to take a call on 2nd March.

Awaiting for your response.

thnx , have a great a week a ahead.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map