This cultural tour gives you the chance to explore the real Africa and learn about the fascinating culture of the tribes in Uganda. Besides an introduction with the capital you will visit the Source of the Nile and the fabled Mountains of the Moon. The highlight of your tour will be at Nshenyi Village, a true immersion in the Ugandan culture!
Day 1 : Arrival
You will be welcomed by a representative of our company who will transfer you to your hotel in Kampala. Dinner and overnight at New Madagascar hotel
Day 2 : Kampala city tour
After breakfast you will be taken on a tour within the greenest city in Africa. Some of the highlights are:
• The Kasubi tombs; the largest mausoleum in Africa, a special burial place for Buganda kings. Our guide will be pleased to give you a brief and interesting history.
• The Ugandan Museum; a historical feature with lots of colonial, cultural and traditional collections.
• Namugongo Shrines; the place where the first Ugandan Christians were murdered at the orders of a Buganda king.
• Makerere University; visit the first and the oldest university in East Africa.
• Kabakas Lake; visit the biggest man made lake in East Africa. It was made under the instruction of the Kabaka of Buganda.
• Namirembe Cathedral - the first and oldest religious feature that was constructed by the European missionaries.
• Bahai temple; visit the biggest and only religious temple building of its kind in Africa.
• The craft village; place to buy African art, carvings, masks of your desire.
You can make a choice out of these sites or visit them all if time allows. Late in the afternoon retire to your hotel. Dinner and overnight at New Madagascar hotel
Day 3 : Kampala – Jinja city tour
A visit to the lovely town of Jinja. The highlights of the tour are:
• Mabira Forest; a walk in the lush green forest, which is one of the biggest forests in East Africa and hosts a variety of bird species and monkeys.
• Sezibwa Falls; a traditional site known for its spectacular falls that subsides into two small rivers that smartly split. One heads northeast to lake Kyoga and the other heads northwest to the Nile. Not surprisingly they are called the Twin Rivers.
• Bujagali Falls; spectacular falls on the Nile, a grade five rapid for the rafters. Most likely you will be seeing a man daringly sail through the rapids with the aid of only a plastic jerrycan.
• Source of the Nile; see how the longest river of the world starts its journey through Africa.
Check in for dinner and overnight at Adrift Nile High Camp and relax while you enjoy the beautiful sunset over the Nile.
Day 4 : Jinja
Ready for a full day of adventure? Then start rafting at the source of the Nile. Enjoy the beautiful scenery and thundering rapids of the White Nile. Don’t forget to watch the incredible birdlife as you drift quietly between the rapids of the river.
Those who prefer a more peaceful experience of the Nile can also decide to go for a wonderful river journey for the whole family. Instead of choosing the wildest rapids, we drift swiftly between beautiful forested islands, bounce down smaller rapids and explore the least known channels. Dinner and overnight at Adrift Nile High Camp.
Day 5 : Jinja – Fort Portal (6 hrs)
Early breakfast and then transfer to Fort Portal through the verdant countryside as you pass traditional homesteads and farms. Fort Portal rests in the shadow of the fabled Mountains of the Moon and is famous for the large tea plantations. Dinner and overnight at overnight at Rwenzori View Guesthouse.
Day 6 : Crater Lakes
Today we will explore the region of the crater lakes. Enjoy the beauty of the numerous small lakes, surrounded by gentle hills, and the stunning views. Take a hike at Lake Nkuruba to encounter different species of primates and birds, and visit the Mahoma Falls. Meet the local people as you walk through their villages, learn about the customs of the Batoro tribe and enjoy the panoramic views. You can also visit the Rubingo Abeteraine Women’s Group and see how they earn their money by weaving baskets. Dinner and overnight at Rwenzori View Guesthouse.
Day 7 : Fort Portal – Nshenyi Village (5 hrs)
Departure for Mbarara where you will have lunch before continuing to Nshenyi Village. A beautiful route will take you to this hidden, rural farm, where you can experience the traditional way of living. Enjoy the rolling countryside of the Ankole Kingdom, relax in the raw comforts of nature and listen to the silence. Dinner and overnight at the farm Nshenyi Village.
Day 8 : Nshenyi Village
The morning starts early as you will go to the field to milk the long horned Ankole cows. Beat the early morning mist as you squat to a lifetime memory of milking with your bare hands. Return to the farm for breakfast, before we take a short walk to a Bahima village. Experience the lifestyle of this traditional tribe and learn more about where they live, what they eat and all their native habits. In the afternoon, after lunch, you may want to decide to go for a nature walk along the River Kagera, a natural border with Tanzania. The trail leads you through the undulating hills that overlook Nshenyi Village. Watch the unparalleled richness of bird species as you look right into Tanzania. In the evening you can enjoy traditional dancing and singing of a non-professional local group. Dinner and overnight at the farm Nshenyi Village.
Day 9 : Nshenyi Village
Another day of relaxing in the raw comforts of nature! You may join the pastors and spend some time in the field while grazing the cows. Or enjoy the process of turning milk into ghee while sitting within an enchanting traditional hut. You may also choose to visit a local school, have another nature walk or spend a day on an open market and see how Wall Street comes to life in rural Africa! Dinner and overnight at the farm Nshenyi Village.
Day 10 : Nshenyi Village – Kampala (6-7 hrs)
After breakfast we leave the surroundings of Nshenyi. Enjoy the magnificent view one more time as we head back to Mbarara. Continue to Kampala with lunch en route and the usual interesting stops like at the Ugandan Equator where you can shop for souvenirs and take photos. In the afternoon arrival in Kampala. Dinner and overnight at King's Holiday Inn.
Day 11 : Departure
Enriched with an experience of a lifetime and unforgettable memories you will say goodbye to the Pearl of Africa. Depending on the time of departure you will be transferred to the airport for your flight back home. We are looking forward to seeing you again!
Included in the price:
- Airport transfer
- Ground transport per comfortable 4WD safari vehicle
- English speaking driver/guide
- Accommodation in budget places mentioned in the itinerary, based on a double room
- Full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner) apart from your stay in Kampala (B&B)
- Bottled mineral water throughout the safari
- City tour Kampala
- City tour Jinja
- Cultural experience at Nshenyi Village
- Nature walks
- International flight
- Full day rafting in Jinja (USD $125 per person)
- Meals and drinks not mentioned above
- Laundry and tips
- Items of personal nature
If you wish to stay in luxury accommodation please notify so we can inform you about the upgrade fees. Please complete the enquiry form below for more details and tailor-made safaris in Uganda and Rwanda!