The Udzungwa Mountains are part of the Eastern Arc Mountains, the arc which begins in Taita Hills in Kenya, and in Tanzania runs through the North and South Pare, the East and West Usambara, and the Nguu, Nguru, Ukaguru, Rubeho and Uluguru mountains and Udzungwa. The Udzungwa mountains are situation between the towns of Morogoro and Iringa.
The Udzungwas are 10,000 sq mtrs in total covered in wet humid climate providing water for Kilombero valley. The Great Ruaha provides electricity for much of the country. Rainfall in the southeast of the mountains amounts to 2,000 mm per year and on the Northwest rain shadow area it decreases to 600 mm. Temperatures range from 21-27 centigrade on average.
There are hundreds of different species of trees, shrubs, climbers and herbs of which 50 are restricted to the area. 200 species have medicinal properties. Also restricted to the mountains is the Iringa red colobus monkey(uhehe) and the Sanje crested mangabey
0n your arrival at Dar es Salaam International Airport you will be met and transferred to the hotel in town for Dinner and overnight.
Day 1: Dar es Salaam - Udzungwa
Depart from Dar Es Salaam, drive Man'gula camp at Twiga Hotel for your dinner and over night.
Day 2: Sanje Waterfalls
After breakfast, set off on five hour hike further into the mountains along a rural road/path. Arrive at Sanje waterfall set up camp, and then have the lunch after lunch explore surrounding area, swim in either of the two pools of the waterfalls. Dinner and overnight at the Campsite in Sanje Waterfall
Day 3: Udzungwa - Dar es Salaam
Wake up, breakfast, pack up camp, and descend to base of Waterfall. One hour hike to Sanje village, depart for Dar Es Salaam.
First night camp is at Twiga Hotel just outside the park - it is a local hotel, very clean, with a bar and local cuisine. Second night camp is at Sanje waterfall.
discount is available for a group of 4 persons and above
- Transport on a 4wd vehicle
- Camping fees and park fees for one night in the park
- Accommodation on safari based on three meals a day
- Use of cooking and eating utensils
- Drinking water for the hikes
- Use of sleeping-tents and cubicle-washing-tent
- Porters to carry tents, camp equipment and utensils, water and food. However, hikers will carry their own sleeping bag and personal belongings.
- Service of Professional English Speaking driver guide
- Locally based guard for security of hikers and their belongings
- Activities as per itinerary above
- Accommodation on the first night upon your arrival in Dar es Salaam before safari (Book with us)
- Accommodation on the last night (Day 3) after safari (Book with us)
- Airport transfers (Book with us)
- Passport and Visas
- Items of personal nature/use
- Tip(s) to the driver guide and cook
- And all not mentioned on the itinerary
-You should bring the following items with you. If you don't have them, we may be able to rent some of these items to you on request.
-Rucksack for carrying personal belongings
-Shoes and clothes suitable for hiking, and rain coat.
-Change of clothes in case they get wet, change of shoes or flip flops and at least one sweater/cardigan
-Swimsuit for taking dip in river
-Toiletries including soap/washing gel etc
-Optional refreshments on journey to and from Udzungwa
-Any other extras