Africa Guide
recommended trip :

wormz

Recipes
September 24, 2001 07:36PM
Anonymous User
While travelling in Botswana in 1999, we had a dish called Seswaa, a cooked shredded beef served with maize meal and cooked cabbage. It was very good! The maize meal was very similar (the same?) as a dish called Ugali (Ugari) in Kenya. Try searching for them on the web.

As far as traditional dress, I cannot be much help, as most Batswana (people of Botswana) we encountered wore pants and t-shirts as we do in the States.

The predominant group of people there are the Tswana, of which there are several tribes. Other groups are the Bakalanga, Bayei, Hambukushu, Herero, and San (bushmen). Perhaps a search on their traditions will be a help.

Best of luck to you!
 Reply  Quote

Recipes in Botswana
April 05, 2002 11:22PM
By JB
Botswana people eat a lot of stuff with vegetables like soups and other stuff. They also eat meat that they got from hunting. I don't know any recipes because I couldn't find any myself but I found Botswana Cuisine and that's like there diet there and that was good enough for me. I forget where i got it, but if you go to Google.com and type in Botswana Food you might find something good to help you.
Good Luck Dude
 Reply  Quote

NO TOGAS!
April 13, 2002 05:39PM
By Sharon
Batswana do NOT wear togas! Traditionally Batswana wore skins(mostly from cows but also from other animals). Men would wear a loin cloth and women would wear a skirt of some sort. Usually women went topless, unless they were married and then they would put a shawl on over themselves. For an example of how the BaYei tribe dressed, check out Sankuyo's website:
www.duke.edu/~sas21/sankuyo.html

However, if you go to school and can't find skins then really colorful western clothing should be fine. Nowadays Batswana wear many of the same things you and I wear and that would be a much more realistic description of their life.

As for food....they eat fish, seswaa, the ugali stuff described, rice, goat, meat (lots and lots of meat), yams, cabbage, beats and other things.
 Reply  Quote

HELP!!
May 02, 2003 12:20AM
By jon
I'm doing a project on the Batswana tribe. any info?
 Reply  Quote

i need some to!
May 13, 2003 03:02PM
Anonymous User
do you think that you could help me if you find any recipes? it would be really great if you do. I'm in grade 5 and i have to do a world project! botswana is really quite interesting!
 Reply  Quote

botswana
May 29, 2003 11:53AM
By jayne
hey josh! im an eighth grader doing the same thing! only we have to invent our charcter from Botswana. anyways...if you email me i can give you some websites that helped me with my project. also...if you find any good recipes let me know, im stuck on that one! email me! later
 Reply  Quote

here jon!
May 29, 2003 11:59AM
By jayne
i got a tons of info, so email me and i'll give you the sites. what do you need, pictures? text? let me know.
 Reply  Quote

Botswana Recipe
September 02, 2003 07:18AM
By Jeff
Hi Josh

I have been to Botswana around 15 or so times. I read some of the replies and they are accurate to a point. The majority of the population wear regular clothes but as you travel further to the north the traditional tribes do sometimes wear goat skins on occasion. They used to wear cow skins but due to the value of cattle in this part of the world they are much rarer now.

As for a recipe, you might want to try something exotic and get hold of Mopani worms. They sell Mopani worms in bowls right in the middle of Gaberone. These worms are sold dried. Fry some onions in a little oil. Add the worms ad a tin of tomotoes. Add salt and pepper a simmer for around 20 mins. In the bush you would normally eat mopani worms whilst they are still alive and fresh.

For someting a little more mundane, try goat meat stew. Its the same as normal stew but uses quite a lot of garlic and of course goat. You could also send a mail to the "Train" restaurant in Joburg to get a recipe. Their URL is: enquiries@iface.co.za. The train specilaizes in mopani worms, crocodile steaks, buffalo, giraffe etc.

Good luck.
 Reply  Quote

yo!i need help!
November 05, 2003 07:51PM
Anonymous User
>Hi Josh
>I have been to Botswana around 15
>or so times. I read
>some of the replies and they
>are accurate to a point.
>The majority of the population wear
>regular clothes but as you travel
>further to the north the traditional
>tribes do sometimes wear goat skins
>on occasion. They used to
>wear cow skins but due to
>the value of cattle in this
>part of the world they are
>much rarer now.
>As for a recipe, you might want
>to try something exotic and
>get hold of Mopani worms.
>They sell Mopani worms in bowls
>right in the middle of Gaberone.
> These worms are sold dried.
> Fry some onions in a
>little oil. Add the worms
>ad a tin of tomotoes.
>Add salt and pepper a simmer
>for around 20 mins. In
>the bush you would normally eat
>mopani worms whilst they are still
>alive and fresh.
>For someting a little more mundane, try
>goat meat stew. Its the
>same as normal stew but uses
>quite a lot of garlic and
>of course goat. You could
>also send a mail to the
>"Train" restaurant in Joburg to get
>a recipe. Their URL is:
>enquiries@iface.co.za. The train specilaizes in
>mopani worms, crocodile steaks, buffalo, giraffe
>etc.
>Good luck.
i need food
 Reply  Quote

HELP!
March 13, 2004 06:00PM
By Chelsea
I need a recipe for botswana too! I'm in 7th grade though!! Hurry and please respond!
 Reply  Quote

me 2
March 25, 2004 11:33PM
By matt
im in 7th grade too and i need a simple recipe from botswana for tomorrow and the people wear dull colors in the safari (for the people with the cloths)

And the two major tribes are the Tswana and the Kalagana for the person who needs the tribes
 Reply  Quote

Traditional dish from Botswana
March 26, 2004 05:32AM
Anonymous User
SESWAA (POUNDED MEAT)

1 kg (2½ lb) brisket

water

1 large onion, chopped

salt to taste

pepper to taste

Place the brisket, the onion and seasoning in a saucepan. Cover with water and cook about 2½ hours until soft.

Drain liquid and pound the meat until flaky. Remove the bones. Serve with porridge, Morogo and gravy.

Serves 6.

course : meat dish

source : Cooking from Cape to Cairo : A Taste of Africa / Dorah Sitole and True Love Magazine
 Reply  Quote

food
April 14, 2004 02:02AM
Anonymous User
can you tell me what site they have for botswana recipies?
 Reply  Quote

food
April 14, 2004 02:06AM
By Billy
can anyone give me a rscipe for botswana food. i am in 6 grade and i need lots of info.
 Reply  Quote

Recipe
April 22, 2004 10:22PM
Anonymous User
I need one to. live with it
 Reply  Quote

sike
April 22, 2004 10:34PM
Anonymous User
waz up,
i was just playin! well im in 7th grade and i need help with dis project dat is do. remember i have 2 eat dis and i dont like worms
 Reply  Quote

LAST EDITED ON May-01-04 AT 09:02 PM (GMT)

Hi, at our school we need to make a dessert from a country that we chose. i chose Botswana, but cant seem to find any deserts. can some one please help me. either give me a website, or the recipie, or the name of the dish. thanks
PS
I dont realy wanna eat any worms or bugs
 Reply  Quote

Sites
May 04, 2004 10:01PM
By anne
Hi, I know some cool recipe sites for Botswana and here they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- www.jumpfood.com
- www.netcooks.com
- www.africaguide.com
- www.ask.com (search)
- www.ajkids.com (another search)

So there you have it. Well I hope your reports turn out great. (along with mine!) Gotta Run, Bye! -Anne-
 Reply  Quote

botswana traditional food...gross.
September 19, 2004 11:42AM
Anonymous User
They ate mopane worms that were boiled in salt water and then deep fried. They drank a potent swill caled palm wine. This is from my ninth grade report on Botswana cultures.
 Reply  Quote

wormz
September 19, 2004 11:47AM
Anonymous User
MOPANI WORMS ARE GOOD....W/ LOTS OF STEWED CABBAGE.
 Reply  Quote

February 11, 2005 06:25PM
By Crystal
For starters you should learn how to spell botswana and secondly got to google and type in "Republic of Botswana" and it should work
 Reply  Quote

HELP!!!!!!!!!
May 17, 2005 01:18AM
LAST EDITED ON May-17-05 AT 02:49 AM (GMT)

I have to cook a small meals (one dish, a small burger, bite size) for 70 people do you have any ideas? thanks.
 Reply  Quote

Botswana Recipe
May 17, 2006 10:34PM
By mommy
I FOUND IT!!!! A BOTSWANA RECIPE!!!

Vegetable Stew - Main Course

Cooking Recipes Ingredients:
5-6 medium potatoes
1 medium butternut squash
5 large carrots
2 ears of corn
1 small turnip or rutabaga
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup oil
2-3 onions
4-6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup vegetable stock

Cooking Recipes Directions
Wash the vegetables and cut into chunks. You can use any other hard winter vegetables that you like. Heat the cast-iron pot, (size 3) over coals until a little bit warm, add oil. When oil is hot, lightly cook onions and garlic. Arrange vegetables in layers on top of onion and garlic mixture. The ones with the longest cooking times go on the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle on the seasonings and herbs. Pour stock over the final layer. Cover the pot with its lid and simmer over campfire coals for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Leave the lid on until the cooking time is finished.
 Reply  Quote

Botswana nation
March 09, 2007 07:46AM
By Koketso
>I'm doing a project on the Batswana
>tribe. any info?

Botswana is a nation with many tribes from the nguni(originally non Setswana speaking) to the Bantu tribes. Coming from the latter I can tell you we have a staple food in Mabele (sorghum meal), morogo from the beans, seswaa from meat that we get from our cattle, goat and other animals bothe domesticated and wild. We also have sour milk called Madila and plain milk. we also have relishes from the wild and domestic.

For more information see
http://www.botswana-tourism.gov.bw/culture_and_his/people.html
 Reply  Quote

Botswana Pr4oject for Josh
March 09, 2007 10:53PM
Hi! Josh! Hope you havent done your project yet and i would be able to help you. I am from Botswana and its beautiful there. The capital city is called, Gaborone and there are also several other cities and towns like; Francistown. Maun is a town which attracts a lot of tourists. People wear clothes like you do but they have traditional clothes that they wear for special occassions like weddings. Women would wear a scarf on their head, Skirts with tops or dresses. These are made from clothes with special patterns that are considered traditional.

A simple dish to make would be; magwinya (fat cakes) They are kinda like doughnuts but without the coating outside. You need to prepare dough (baking flour, yeast, sugar, salt, water) Mix dry ingredients together and add water and make into non- sticky dough. Then heat cooking oil until hot (kinda like if you are making fries. I think you will need an adult to help you!)
Then take a fist size piece of dough and roll it into a little ball. Then put it into the hot cooking oil. Do the same for all your dough. You can poke the cakes with a fork to find out if they are done.

Hope this helps! Bye!
 Reply  Quote

botswana recipe
February 13, 2000 07:05PM
Anonymous User
Please help! Need recipe for school project and I have to dress like they do. I'm in 2nd grade and would like information to help. Thank YOu.
 Reply  Quote

Botswana stuff
February 26, 2001 08:13PM
By michael
Josh, I think I can help you. I am doing a project on Botswana and will tell you that they would probably wear somewhat of a toga or something. I'm sorry, if I couldn't help, but that is what I think that the Batswana tribe werassmiling smiley
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map