Africa Guide
recommended trip :

The best way to do it?

The best way to do it?
September 27, 2002 09:57PM
Anonymous User
Hi,

Was just wondering if people who have travelled in Africa could give me an opinion on the best way to travel in Africa. I will be volunteering in Malawi for four months starting in January and want to travel round East/South Africa afterwards to two to three months. I'm eighteen and wouldn't be hiring a car, have travelled on an expedition in South America before and am wondering whether it would be possible to travel on my own, or if not having a car would make it difficult to visit places like national parks, or if my age might prove a problem. I'm basically trying to decide whether to go for it solo, and cross my fingers that after 4 months I will have enough knowledge of the area to do this or whether to join an overland truck trip. Any feedback would be a great help and much appreciated.

TIA,

Chlo Squires
 Reply  Quote

i can help
November 15, 2002 09:55AM
Anonymous User
hi.i am a kenyan living in the capital nairobi.
just get in touch and i can give more information about the east african region.
 Reply  Quote

hi i can help in south africa
December 21, 2002 04:24PM
By Tim
there is a bus service aimed mainly at the young international backpackers which travels just about all over south africa check out their web site on www.bazbus.co.za
other than that i have to admit the best way to get around south africa is by car because unfortunatly the public transport system is a joke.
if you would like any other info on s.a. please don't hesitate to contact me i'll try and help you out as best i can.

Tim.
 Reply  Quote

railways
December 23, 2002 06:28AM
Anonymous User
Is Chlo a male or a female name/alias? If you are a male I would actually suggest that you at least do parts of your travelling by train. Train travelling is really a way of meeting locals and of seeing parts of Africa that has no other connections to the rest of the world but the railway. When I travelled by train in South Africa, Mozambique, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and Kenya by train in 2001 I was the only "muzunga" ("white man"winking smiley on the trains Komatipoort-Maputo-Komatipoort, Livingstone-Kapiri Mposhi and Dar es Salaam-Mwanza respectively.
If you are female however I would not recommend you to travel alone at all.
 Reply  Quote

If you want company
January 20, 2003 11:59PM
Anonymous User
I will be travelling around Tanzania and the surrounding areas March, April and May. If you are interested in travelling with another person, please let me know.

thanks, christa
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map