Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Visiting Luwingu and hello

luwingu secondary school
May 15, 2004 07:39AM
By edpiper
In July I will be visiting Lusaka for business.
In the late 1960s I worked as a teacher at Luwingu secondary school in northern province.
I am seeking information about the school and any students or staff who were there between 1967-70. The head teacher then was Mr Symposia .
My husband Brian piper was also a teacher there. and there and I would also like to know if the school is still there and what is happening at the present time.
If I had time to visit northern provice what transport is possible between Lusaka and Kasama/ Luwingu?.
If you have any information i would be grateful to receive it.
Dorothy Piper.
 Reply  Quote

Visiting Luwingu and hello
April 05, 2008 01:47PM
By EddieC
Hello Edith
Jane and I are looking to visit Zambia in August / September this year and whilst looking on the web she came across your message. Did you get to Luwingu and if you did have you any advice - accommodation etc? Did you find the school?

Other than that how are you and Brian. We live in Salford and are both retired - enjoying travelling when we can.

We had one Email from Mike Reid a year ago but have not heard from him since - are you in contact with mutual friends?
Regards
Eddie
 Reply  Quote

Re: Visiting Luwingu and hello
July 28, 2019 07:08PM
Hi, Eddie

You’ve probably forgotten me......I taught at the school from 1968>71 , under the headship of Mr Symposia. You were the Deputy HM at that time. You may recall that I was married in the Boma and later at the Church run by the White Fathers. I look back with mixed feelings concerning my time spent at Luwingu. On balance I will always look back with pleasure and also with regret...the weather was always wonderful, but the administration at that time was dreadful, as you will recall. “One Zambia, One Nation: One Zambia, One Frustration!” used to be the constant saying. Do you recall sitting around a camp fire on the staff compound listening to the Moon Landing?Thus it was with mixed feelings that I left Luwingu, to travel back to the UK by passenger liner from Cape Town. Since then, I have two fine sons, now aged 45 and 47 respectively, and I turned 80 this last February. Sadly my marriage lasted only 17 years, and after living in Starcross, near Exeter for 16 years, decided to move permanently to France, to a small village not far from the ferry port of Roscoff. It’s name is Henvic. I moved here in 2002, and have not regretted the move. Fortunately, my French is pretty good, and I had a hand in founding the Twinning Association between our two villages. I did manage to contact Edith Piper while I lived in Starcross, but haven’t heard from her since, nor from any other of the staff who were contemporaries, with the exception of one, George John, who kept notes about his time spent in Zambia. He later moved to Canada, but I don’t have his email address. I was mentioned in his Notes, to my astonishment, including my wedding. What a small world! If you ever get this email, by all means send me a reply, plus the email addresses of any staff members who were contemporaries. So all the best, and if you have any news of these in particular Mick Reid, Watson, Bew, Krishnamurthi, Proctor, Block, Piper, and any others I’d love to get in touch with them. So all the best if you get this, and send any email to me Richard.Longridge@sfr.fr. Or by post to 22 bis, rue Croasmen, Henvic 29670, Finistère, France.
 Reply  Quote

Luwingu and Monze Secondary Schools
September 01, 2008 04:42AM
Itaught at Luwingu 1972-74 and Monze 1974-1978. I would like to hear from any friends from there.
Mike McGlothlen
 Reply  Quote

Lusaka Luwingu
October 19, 2008 04:54PM
By Newtons
Hello,

The school is still there. I am Zambian never worked in Luwingu but just wanted to let ou know that the road network has improved treamendously from Lusaka to all the provinces. there is a perfect tarred road into Kasama.

If you nedd any info dont hesistate to get in touch.
Newtons
 Reply  Quote

luwingu secondary school
October 22, 2008 06:42AM
By edpiper

Dear Newtons
Thanks for the message, A perfect tar road to Kasama sounds wonderful. I have many scary memories of the old road -either sliding around in the rains or blinded by dust in the dry season.
When I was working in Zambia, in Lusaka, in 2004 I only had 2 weeks and not enough spare time to travel.
The Ministry of Education had very little information about Northern Province.
After meeting some teachers from Northern Province I learned about some issues concerning mental health that I might help with and I hoped to raise some funds for some work in the schools in Northern Province but that has not been successful so far. My work in UK has been about emotional health in young people and maybe I could be of some use in helping teachers to consider the issues as they apply locally.
I was only thinking yesterday that I need to put more effort into raising the issue and the funding.
Meanwhile I will continue to dream of a holiday and save my money.
All best wishes to you.
Many thanks

Dorothy Eddi Piper
 Reply  Quote

Re: luwingu secondary school
January 20, 2010 10:17PM
By JimH
I stumbled across this by accident. How fantastic to find two dear friends who shared the joys of Luwingu Secondary School, purity patrols, and a hairy car-ride up to Mombassa and back. Averil and I would love to get in touch!

Jim
 Reply  Quote

August 05, 2010 11:17PM
I stumbled on this site by pure accident. How refreshing. I attended Luwingu sec. sch. as a student from 1973 to 1976 when I tranfered to Kansenshi sec. sch. in Ndola. I later returned to Luwingu sec. sch. as a teacher from 1980 to 1990. I'm married with two children and have taken residence in the U.S. since 1998.

From my student days at Luwingu I remember Mr. M.McGlothlen (who posted an article above). He was my R.E. teacher for a brief stint in my 9th grade. His wife was my English teacher and very briefly, French teacher. Mr. McGlothen will recall other members on his staff team like Mr. Yardley, Mr. and Mrs. Masterson, Vasilenko, the Williamses (from Canada), Mr. Young, Proctor, Fairful, Kappor, D.C. Samuels (the H.M.) etc.

I've also been wanting to get in touch with my former neighbor at Luwingu, Mr. and Mrs. Ken (and Janice) Boyd, from the U.K. and Mr. S. Hasham from France.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 02:28AM by lawrence banda.
 Reply  Quote

September 12, 2014 09:17AM
Hi Lawrence. I was curious to see how Luwingu may have developed and came across your message. great to be remembered. I am 67 and retired but enjoying a fairly active life. I cycle regularly.
fantastic days in the 70's with many great characters.
I was saddened to learn that Harold Masterson appears to have died some years back at only 58.
We (my wife Ann and I), briefly thought about visiting Luwingu but decided that it was people rather than the place we wished to see/meet up with again. It would have been hugely expensive. Our eldest son Richard was born in Kasama.
I see you moved to USA -the world is small! What are you doing there.
I remember Ellings Chomba - I think I have the name correct but it was many years ago! He and I would chat like two old cronies.
It appears that the Sec School is huge but has had major water problems? I remember those!
I hope you get this and would enjoy hearing from you.
Best wishes,Ian Young
 Reply  Quote

February 13, 2015 06:44PM
Hello Ian! Glad to see that like all sensible people you have retired. You and Ann knew me as Fionnuala Masterson but I have been Fionnuala Griffiths for many many years. Ciara who was looked after by Ann is now a lecturer at Leeds University with three children of her own. She is married to Ben who spent his early childhood in the Copperbelt! . We have two more treasures as well. We live in Derry although my husband is Welsh.

Luwingu news. Mike McGlothlen - the 'black' American married to Valerie died just before Christmas. He had changed his name to Mike Nassau and had been married 8 times! A very varied life. Glen and Marjorie divorced and she is a high flying academic. Glen remarried and has 2 daughters. Jill and Richard are both retired in Australia. Glen has put some photos on which were amazing to share with my younger children - apparently I was cool. The photos are amazing if you have time to look them up. Maybe you knew all this!

I saw that you were aware Harold had died. His only brother predeceased him and the little cottage in Fermanagh is abandoned and forlorn. He died just after Ciara had her first child so he did not get to meet him.

Luwingu was an amazing place to spend time and learn some hard lessons but my husband occasionally comments that I drive as if I was still there!

My email address is very original fionnualagriffiths@hotmail.com. It would be good to hear from you but I hope you have not been married 8 times

Fionnuala
 Reply  Quote

March 18, 2017 07:32PM
Hi Mrs. Griffiths. Good to see your 'footprint' on this forum. You may not remember me but you used to be my teacher of English at Luwingu Secondary School when I was in Form 1 in 1973. That was Form 1F, to be precise. Sorry to learn of your husband's passing. I taught at the same school from 1980 thru' 1990. I then moved to the Copperbelt before finally relocating to the U.S. where my wife and I and our two kids have lived since 1998. I hope you get this message and would love to hear from you.
Regards,
Lawrence Banda.
 Reply  Quote

March 18, 2017 03:36PM
Good Lord; What a surprise! Thanks a lot for your response. I am so sorry I never saw your response because I haven't visited this site since 2010. How are you doing sir? The last time I saw Ellings Chomba was probably in 1994. He was teaching at Mpelembe High School in Kitwe (on the Copperbelt). I still remember riding in your VW in 1973 on our way to Kasama for our JETS Fair. I was in Form 1 and my project was a pin-hole camera. Back then I went by Lawrence Mbao. You'd probably remember Christopher Chila as well. He was in Form 3 at the time, I think. I'd love to stay in touch with you, if that's okay with you. My email address is: beitlaurel77@yahoo.com. You can also send me a friend request on Facebook by searching for Lawrence M. Banda. I hope you're on Facebook. I don't wanna be 'getting into it' on this public space.
Best wishes,
Lawrence.
 Reply  Quote

March 27, 2017 02:29PM
Hi Ian. Thanks a lot for your response. I am so sorry I never saw your response because I haven't visited this site since 2010. How are you doing sir? The last time I saw Ellings Chomba was probably in 1994. He was teaching at Mpelembe High School in Kitwe (on the Copperbelt). I still remember riding in your VW in 1973 on our way to Kasama for our JETS Fair. I was in Form 1 and my project was a pin-hole camera. Back then I went by Lawrence Mbao. You'd probably remember Christopher Chila as well. He was in Form 3 at the time, I think. I'd love to stay in touch with you, if that's okay with you. My email address is: beitlaurel77@yahoo.com. You can also send me a friend request on Facebook by searching for Lawrence M. Banda. I hope you're on Facebook. I don't wanna be 'getting into it' on this public space.
Best wishes,
Lawrence.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map