Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Is it really worth it

Is it really worth it
February 26, 2009 03:39AM
To all my fellow South African's I ask...Is it really worth it?...

Like alot of you on this forum, I have been blessed with the opportunity to work overseas where I have been travelling alot through work. THus far Australia is the 6th country I have lived and worked in since 2000. Currently in Australia I have done the London thing, lived in Dubai etc.
Similar to all of you I too yearn for a glimmer of hope that it would be possible to retunr back to South Africa to raise kids and start a family etc etc.
I have to ask though is it or can it ever be worth it to move back? Don't get me wrong every country has issues including Australia. Hell 2 people got car jacked up the road from where I live in Perth about a month ago and there are frequent bashings of people in the night club districts too.
Is the major difference down to good governance by our country's leaders?
2 Years ago I was stopped at a road block in Sandton after a big night at Monty. Quite understanding that I was in the wrong I was happy to be processed like any other drunked behind the wheel. You know that I escaped with a R100 bribe? It reminded me so much of being in Nigeria where Lawlessness carries on unabated while the fat cats line their pockets by embezzeling tax money.
So aside from the crime aspect, do you ever think the South African government will get thier act together really start create opportunities for business to flourish, create employment allow business to function without corrupt intervention?
Call me sceptical, call me sheepish, call me dispondant or whatever you will. But I can't see it heading that way, particularly under a JZ leadership.
 Reply  Quote

December 14, 2013 08:16PM
AusieBakkies,

I am an American (Living in America) and I have been reading some not too encouraging rumors about the economic and geo-political conditions in South Africa. I am not one to liable anyone without substantiation, so I won't list the horrible conditions that I have read about, but you having already lived in SA surly must have some trusted sources. I, for one, would not recommend anyone moving there without researching your individual options and risks thoroughly.

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you. ~Pericles 460 B.C.
 Reply  Quote

November 16, 2015 10:49AM
I am a South African Live In south Africa in a beautiful city as Africa is a beautiful country but to be honest it is not worth living here if I had the opportunity to pack up and leave now I would do it the crime rate is very high no employment our tax money spent on unnecessary things education is getting worse our pass rate for matric is 36 percent that is a fail but not in SA education is poor we are over worked and under paid but there is nothing we can do because you need the job crime is some much even the police don't do much help sometime you think its a bad dream but no its not I have been robbed in a very busy public place everybody looked away like they don't see any thing that is south Africa for you
 Reply  Quote

July 15, 2016 11:21AM
This is a great way to let people know about Africa that its worth it or not. thanks!
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map