Africa Guide
recommended trip :

thanks

present-day situation?
July 11, 2002 06:43PM
By Nick
we are going to tanzania and malawi in about 4 weeks. now we are a little bit worried because of reports about food shortage and increasing criminality in south african countries. is there anybody who can tell us about the situation of today in these countries? what things do we have to care about?
thanks a lot!
 Reply  Quote

Malawi Situation
July 13, 2002 06:12PM
Anonymous User
As far as I know from people living there the food shortages are most prominent in the South of the country and are mainly effecting the subsistence farming population (the majority) who's crops have failed for the second year running.

There is plenty of food in the markets, shops, restaurants, hotels, cafes, etc and tourists should not be effected but the local subsistence farmers and poor cannott afford it.

News reports tend to leave you feeling the whole country has no food at all, whilst it is a bad situation it should not put off tourists as your dollars can only help the countries local economy and where possible buy food and goods as low down the supply chain as possible i.e. from local or roadside sellers as this sends your money straight into the locals pockets where it can do most good.

I travelled through Malawi last November and the people are friendly and welcoming and the country does have a decent tourism infrastucture.

Phil J
 Reply  Quote

thanks!
July 17, 2002 11:41AM
By Nick
your messages helps me a lot. i was really worried because of the bad news, even considering going to another country, perhaps kenya. i met a woman who cancelled her trip to malawi, she wanted to visit her brother, and he told her not to come because of the bad situation. but i think kenya is much more dangerous for tourists, isn´t it? the only thing i´m worried about is criminality because of the food shortage; i don´t know how i would react if my family was hungry and i saw people having all they need to live- money, food, package..don´t you think it´s careless to travel through malawi when knowing this?
 Reply  Quote

malawi situation
July 17, 2002 03:21PM
Anonymous User
Lets not forget news companies usually show only one side.

I watched a report on the Malawi situation on the BBC, sure it was an okay report but it only showed what the reporter wanted to show for example people eating field mice, well I can tell you now that field mice, rats and all sorts of other foodstuffs we find repellant have been on the African menu for millenia, I was in Zomba market in Southern Malawi 6 years ago when there was no food shortage and mice and rats were for sale on the butchers blocks then.

So there you go perhaps the reporter should have been asking where the countries grain reserves are, instead of informing us that the people are now forced to eat field mice.

I hate sensationalism when lives are at stake.

As for crime well as this site says crime is by no means limited to Africa so take sensible everyday travel precautions and nothing should happen to you, many expats live there and they are not leaving in droves, unlike in SA. But if you are worried probably the main area for street crime (still low compared to some western towns)is Lilongwe, but I wandered over lots of it 6 months ago without a problem (mind you I don`t look like a lost rich tourist and neither should other travellers).

There is thievery as in all African countries so be careful where you leave your belongings and keep valuables to a minimum no flashy jewelry etc, but bodily harm especially on tourists is still rare.

The current situation and news reports should not put you off going in any way.

Hope that helps..

Phil J
 Reply  Quote

thanks
July 19, 2002 01:30PM
By Nick
helps a lot. thanks for the information. see you again when we come back!
 Reply  Quote

malawi situation
July 19, 2002 03:51PM
Anonymous User
Your welcome, have a good time.

Let us know how it went, thanks.

Phil J
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map