Departure Day: Daily Guaranteed Departure with 2 participants minimum
The Bale Mountains of south-central Ethiopia support the most extensive area of Afro alpine and sub alpine Ericaceous vegetation in Africa. They have the highest rate of animal endemicity of any terrestrial habitat in the world, which was the principal reason for the creation of the Bale Mountains National Park in 1970.This trek starts and ends at the head quarter of the park at Dinsho. Book this trip to enjoy the stunning scenery, the endemic mammals and birds of Ethiopia.
Day 1: Arrive in Addis Ababa, city tour of Addis Ababa
On arrival in Addis Ababa our representatives will meet you at Bole International Airport and transfers to Ambassador Hotel. An overview of the program and itineraries will be given. The rest of the day visit historical sites in Addis Ababa including the National Archaeological Museum, where we will view the 3.6 million year old remains of “Lucy”, whose skeletal remains when discovered in 1974. You will also visit the Ethnological Museum at Addis Ababa University, Holy Trinity Cathedrals and Mount Entoto which rises up to an altitude of 3200 meters and offers the panoramic view of the metropolis. Overnight Ambassador Hotel
Day 2: Bale Mountains - Dinsho Lodge
After breakfast, we start a full day's drive to the Bale Mt. National Park, traveling thorough the southeast part of the capital, where fertile land is cultivated by the Oromo people. We arrive at Dinsho, Park head quarter, in the afternoon, in time for a walk around to see three of the endemic mammals: Menelik's Bushbuck, and Mountain Nyala. And birds Blue-winged goose, Spot-breasted lapwing, Abyssinian long claw, Wattled ibis, Black-headed siskin, Rouget’s rail, and of course other species, too. Overnight at Dinsho Lodge
Day 3: In Dinsho and Geysay Valley
The whole day visit around Dinsho and Geysay Valley. In time hike to see three of the endemic mammals: Menelik's Bushbuck, Mountain Nyala and Ethiopian wolf. The rest of the day arranges the trekking staff. Overnight Dinsho lodge
Day 4: Mararo
Accompanied by your guide and packhorses we trek 5-6 hrs through the lush highland vegetation to our first campsite, Mararo. The air here is clean and crisp and the scenery utterly stunning. En route you will see a number of birds like Wattled ibis*, Rouget’s rail*, black-winged lovebird*, thick-billed raven*, white-collared pigeon*, Abyssinian long claw*, Abyssinian catbird*, white-backed black tit*, black-headed forest oriole*, black kite, augur-buzzard and lammergeyer. Overnight Camping at Mararo
Day 5: Wasema Valley
After breakfast we resume trek that will last for about 7- 8 hrs. The trek offers the chance to see Ethiopia's endemic Abyssinian Wolf. Around Worgona mineral spring, Giant Mole rat can easily be seen. Overnight camping at Wasema Valley.
Day 6: Gebre Guracha
Today you trek through the highlands ascending Senate Plateau and crossing Batu Mountain, 4200 meters. Here you have a great opportunity t see Ethiopian wolf*. You will also see a number of birds of pray such as Lammergeyer, Vereaux’s eagle and harrier hawk. Overnight camping at the base of the valley, viewing Lake Gebre Guracha
Day 7: Little Batu
Today you trek towards little Batu Mountain, this trek is the day you face back to the head quarter of Bale Mountains. The trek will take for about 6- 7 hrs. Overnight camping at the base of Little Batu Mountain.
Day 8: Dinsho Loge
After breakfast trek to Dinsho Loge. This last trekking day will take for about 5 - 6 hrs. Overnight Dinsho lodge.
Day 9: Drive back to Addis evening Departure:
Drive back to Addis Ababa with stops on the way at rift valley Lakes. Evening a fare well dinner party in one of the traditional Ethiopian restaurant with dances from different ethnic groups. Then transfer to The Airport for your flight back home.
Price displayed is per person based on 2 persons traveling
• Meet and greet at airport
• All accommodation based on twin room occupancy
• Meals in Addis, on bed & breakfast basis
• Meals out of Addis, on full board basis
• All entrance fees at sites, churches, parks and villages.
• All transfers and visits according to the itinerary.
• All Ground transportation including insurance, fuel and all costs of the driver.
• Professional English speaking Tour Guide accompanying through out the trip.
• Local Guide and scout fees in parks and villages
• Camping gears; tents, mattresses, sleeping bags and cooking utensils for camping.
• Cook who prepare meals while camping
• All mule and muleteer expenses
• Farewell dinner in Addis to enjoy traditional Ethiopian food & Music; transfer & guide
• A traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony at a convenient time in the program
• Government taxes
Price doesn’t include
• International flights
• Lunch and Dinner in Addis Ababa
• Alcoholic drinks
• Video filming and photography fees
• Incidental meals, snacks and drinks
• Tips and items of personal nature like laundry, souvenirs, etc
• All what is not included in the list above