Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Cost of a meal and beer

Cost of a meal and beer
July 03, 2005 02:10PM
Hi, you've probably had this question a lot but I couldn't find the information.

I am going to Kenya next month and am spending a few nights In Nairobi and Mombassa. The rest is on Safari.

Does any one know what the prices are like in the cities and at the lodges for drinks and an average meal?

Apart from the cost of the visa ($50 I'm told) is there any other cost's I should account for. I believe $10 a day should cover the cost of tipping. Or is this outdated info?

PS I'm travelling from the UK and it looks like I'm will get around 12 Ksh to a Pound, is this right?

Thanks for the help.
 Reply  Quote

Exchange rate & Prices
July 03, 2005 02:56PM
By Vera
Admin
Hi

The current exchange rate, according to
http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

is 1 British Pound = 135.629 Kenyan Shilling

(not sure where you got 12 Ksh from)

10 US Dollars per day will definitely cover the cost of tips on safari for driver/guide

Meals and drinks are not expensive in Nairobi and Mombasa. You should be able to get a meal with a beer for under a fiver (£)

However, alcohol drinks may be expensive in the lodges on safari, I am not sure of the currently prices.

PS: Have you booked your lodge on safari - July/August is peak season and many of the lodges are already fully booked.
 Reply  Quote

Tusker
July 09, 2005 05:44AM
Anonymous User
LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-05 AT 06:48 AM (GMT)

Hey man, a beer well, better go for Tusker which is 70 Kshs thats like 1 Dollar, you dont wanna go to expensive pubs, go to decent but cheap places like wine bar in Nairobi, or Zeep or even Tanager. Hang around Joints that are interesting, coz at Carnivore pint(Booze) goes for 2 Dollars like 120Kshs.

Forget about expensive joints, come and celebrate drinking with Kenyans at grassroots levels.

In mombasa go to places like Bobs or Kenol, for some Nyama Choma (Roast Meat) that yummy stuff is great.

Actually those Joints are a craze, your life will never be the same again, dude.

Also tip these african brothers man, they deserve it, give them as much as you can but also be carefull not to get conned, telling you man, life can get a bit rough here if you aint careful with every one, even the ladies can prove a bit stressfull, so............WATCH OUT!!!!. But isnt that the usual of all countries - try travelling to Peru, you wont beleive it!!, nice country though.

Peace
 Reply  Quote

Hey
July 13, 2005 02:09PM
Hey am sure yo are very arehensive since half the information you have gotten is wrong. Say Nairobi an average beer costs 120ksh which is a dollar fifty. A decent exotic meal costs on average is dollars(dont know the exchange rate for the pound) and a tip really varies you know from what you can give i.e a dollar of course no limit.
But Kenya is a lovely country very original you get to run with the gazelles, sleep with the cubs and have breakfirst with cheeter. The people are great the culture intense i dunno you will fall in love if you arent already with everyhting you see. So dare.

Nikki
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map