Africa Guide
recommended trip :

living in nairobi for 8 weeks

living in nairobi for 8 weeks
October 05, 2004 01:01PM
Anonymous User
Hi,

I am going to Nairobi for 8 weeks for an internship with an European multi-national.
I have heard bad things about "Nairobbery":
mugging, pickpockets and so on.
Is ist impossible to go out after dark.
As young male I am not frightened and would like to go out sometimes without risking beeing robbed . Please give me some advice. I will be accommodated somewhere near "outer ring road". Is this area safe or is this geographic description too imprecise.
I would love to get more informetion. How are living costs in general compared to Europe?
Since I have to work all day there is just time on weekends to go to national parks. Is it reasonable to travel to the coast for a weekend?
(how long does it take, and how expensive is it?)

I am looking forward to hearing from someone giving me advice. Thanks a loz for your help.

Kind Regards from Italy

Luciano
 Reply  Quote

Nairobi is fine
October 06, 2004 03:52PM
By nelson
Luciano,

Nairobi is ok and its insecurity notion is basically overblown and therefore should be ignored.Ofcourse like any other major city,it cannot lack its few security incidents but mostly in slum areas and poorly lit strets.You can venture out after dark to enjoy Nairobi's fabulous night life and all you need to do is to take the normal safety precautions ie do not display much money in public or expensive jewellery and dont walk into the seedier parts of town especially at night.

The 'outer ring road' is a road which connects the city centre with the estates in the outside area of Nairobi city centre eg Doonholm,savannah, etc.Its is a safe road.
The coast is a 6 hr drive from Nairobi
Nelson
 Reply  Quote

I'll be living there too
October 13, 2004 08:11PM
By JC
I will be living in Nairobi for a few years and am worried about the same stuff. Probably more so than you considering I am a 25 yr old girl. I am excited though. I just wish I would quit hearing bad things about Nairobi.
 Reply  Quote

NAIROBI
October 14, 2004 05:19AM
Anonymous User
wassup..the place you gonna live in is called OUUTA.....thats the eastside man...donnow how you got the place unless its the sos village o something...all you need to do is be simple...dont overdo anything..nbi is just like any other city..some places safe others aint...dont carry the whole bank in u r pocket..b simple thats the trick...social as well....i live here....
 Reply  Quote

safety
October 14, 2004 07:26AM
By Eugene
I am a middle aged and travel for business to Nairobi. Twice a year. I go more or less everywhere in Nairobi and never had any problem. The only thing I ever witnessed was necklace snatched away from a lady by a streetboy. Which I think is something that can happen in many cities. Just do not walk the streets alone in the dark.(taxis are quite cheap) Stay away from streetchildren and just look plain and do not carry valuables in the open.

For going to the coast for a weekend that is quite possibel. Flights to Mombasa or Malindi are very reasonable if you book a bit in advance you can get tickets starting at 80 - 100 usd round trip.

Have a good trip
 Reply  Quote

living in Nairobi
November 18, 2004 04:54PM
Anonymous User
Hello, reading your message, I'd be interested to know what you already found out about living in Nairobi ? I (and the company I work for) have just decided that I will be relocated to Nairobi as from 1st December 2004.
Just curious to know how people cope with this, I would appriciate some communication arround this topic.
Hope to hear from you soon !
Kris
 Reply  Quote

info request
November 18, 2004 04:58PM
Anonymous User
>I will be living in Nairobi for
>a few years and am worried
>about the same stuff. Probably
>more so than you considering I
>am a 25 yr old girl.
> I am excited though.
>I just wish I would quit
>hearing bad things about Nairobi.

Hey there, my name is Kris, 31 yr old man.
When are you planning on moving ? Or are you already there ? Is there a way to contact you, I will be moving 1st December for a (min.) 5 year period, let's get in touch and share some info !
Hope to hear from you soon !
Kris (windglider3@hotmail.com)
 Reply  Quote

Internship
December 01, 2004 05:44AM
Anonymous User
I have been offered an internship with UN in Nairobi to start in 2005. How have you found it so far? I am 23 yr old australian female and quite concerned about personal safety. I don't think I would stand out too badly, but really wouldn't know what to do if targeted. Have you encountered any problems so far?
 Reply  Quote

Nai is cool
December 01, 2004 11:01AM
By Jeff
hi
are you in Kenya? i just wanted to inform you that the place is not that bad. and there is soo much good things to learn from Kenya. would you mind some company to show you round the coutry during your free times? i can do that.i am Kenyan based in Nairobi and in IT field.
contact me or if you are there call 0721400081
thank you
Jeff
 Reply  Quote

nairobi safety
December 28, 2004 02:40PM
By Kris
>I have been offered an internship with
>UN in Nairobi to start in
>2005. How have you found
>it so far? I am
>23 yr old australian female and
>quite concerned about personal safety.
>I don't think I would stand
>out too badly, but really wouldn't
>know what to do if targeted.
> Have you encountered any problems
>so far?

Hi there, I just came back from Nairobi to spend the holidays in cold rainy Belgium, but I will be returning beginning of January. Don't be alarmed by everything you hear, Nairobi is as safe as any major city around the globe, of course there are areas you shouldn't be wondering around after 12 at night but for sure you must have these kind of places in your country/city as well.
Should you ever want to have more information on whatever topic, don't hesitate to pop me an email : windglider3@hotmail.com
kind regards,
kris
 Reply  Quote

How is Nairobi Now
February 16, 2005 08:03AM
By Peter
I realise that you were worried about Nairobi. I gues by now you have realised that it is not as you thought, it is a safe haven. Please what is your feed back if at all you made it
 Reply  Quote

room to rent
March 01, 2005 11:43PM
Hi everyone,
my name is Luca and I'm an Italian student attending a master in Paris. From may until november 2005 I'll be in Nairobi for an internship and since I've never been in Kenya before (but I'm very excited) I beg you to give me some informations..
Is it hard finding a room to rent for a 6 months period? and is life expensive? (I have no idea how things cost in general..)
Tanks for helping me cause I'm quite lost...
hope to meeting some of u in Nairobi,
luca
lucabruc@yahoo.fr
 Reply  Quote

life in Nairobi
March 16, 2005 02:57PM
By aswani
>Hi,
>I am going to Nairobi for 8
>weeks for an internship with an
>European multi-national. I have heard bad
>things about "Nairobbery": mugging, pickpockets and
>so on. Is ist impossible to
>go out after dark. As young
>male I am not frightened and
>would like to go out sometimes
>without risking beeing robbed . Please
>give me some advice. I will
>be accommodated somewhere near "outer ring
>road". Is this area safe or
>is this geographic description too imprecise.

>I would love to get more
>informetion. How are living costs in
>general compared to Europe? Since I
>have to work all day there
>is just time on weekends to
>go to national parks. Is it
>reasonable to travel to the coast
>for a weekend? (how long does
>it take, and how expensive is
>it?)
>I am looking forward to hearing from
>someone giving me advice. Thanks a
>loz for your help.
>Kind Regards from Italy
>Luciano

Hi am a kenyan living abroad and i know what you fear about Nairobi. let me be sincere with you. Nairobi is a Town that i miss very much especially the night life and the safaris that are with it. But there are various rules that i have which a follow when am at Home.
First, try to always be at home before it is dark.Avoid very risky neighbourhoods. It is at times expensive to stay in a neighbourhood but i think 100Euro more per month is worth your life. Make sure you get an area where you do not stand out from your neighbours. I think in the area you are going to be this is going to be the case and i would advice you to avoid it like a plague.
A multi-kulti area is the best.
Do not show off, like with expensive things and designer cloths and ware. I think decent cloths and ware from H&M and the like are decent enough.
Ensure that you always have at least 500Ksh in your wallet. The rest you know here to keep it. This is good in case you are cornered you can give what you have in the wallet and claim to be all that you have. And it could save you alot.
If you are to make friends just take your time. The people in Africa are no much different from the ones you know. They are but very friendly. Be careful however about who you choose as friends.
At times i find it easy to have one taxi man to trust. I have one taxi man who takes me around at a reasonable price and when he is not there then he will refer me to another one. Though this it has helped me to keep my house contacts with many unknown persons at bay and still have a nice time. This is especially the case when you want to have a part in the night life.
About where to have fun mail me for more
I hope i have given you afew tipps if you need more info mail me.
I hope i have helped persons with such questions.
 Reply  Quote

living in Nairobi
May 02, 2005 06:24PM
By Sophie
Are you already in NAirobi? I will go there this september and I`m also heard a lot about that stuff? Do you have any inforation about a room or a flat to rent? I`m looking for that at the moment.
 Reply  Quote

Going to Nairobi
July 25, 2005 08:37AM
Hi,
I'm possibly moving to Nairobi from Geneva for a 2-3 month UN internship, starting September. I've seen a lot of the usual questions on this forum - room for rent, cost of living - but few answers.

If anyone that is going there, or lives there, and has previously responded, could you share your insights? In particular, any websites/forums to find affordable shared housing?

Thanks.
 Reply  Quote

nbi
December 07, 2005 10:46PM
Anonymous User
i have spent 4 years in nairobi...been robbed thre times in nbi once in mombasa....in nbi...watch latema road grab and run guys, watch city centre street boys at night....then go around in groups....and thirdly dont carry money in ur back pocket in a matatu....it will go for sure...and oh watch ur mobile phone.....got mine stolen in a matatu, got my friend to ring my number , this guy in the matatu answered
it ..rofl...clever guy eh!...i will be in mombasa and nairobi in january 2006 if any one wants some fun....kwahere
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map