Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Internship with UN

Nairobi cost of living, housing
July 26, 2004 02:15AM
Anonymous User
I am considering a post in Nairobi and am curious about the cost of living. The information on the web is confusing and much of it appears dated.

I am also interested in learning more about the cost of housing and areas that are both safe and convenient for transport to work near the YaYa Centre. The salary for the post is low by comparison to UK standards, but I am wondering if it is sufficient for Nairobi.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
 Reply  Quote

living costs
August 04, 2004 10:03AM
Anonymous User
Hi

You can look at the following sites. You would be looking at houses in Kilimani or Kileleshwa.

www.realmast.com
www.milestate.com
www.villacare.com
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living
August 04, 2004 05:51PM
Anonymous User
Many thanks for your reply, Flo. The information was most helpful. These web sites provided a good overview of housing costs. In your experience, should I estimate utility costs at some percentage of rental fee, or is there a better gauge for estaimting these expenses?

Thank you once again for the information.

Cheers!
 Reply  Quote

nairobi
August 21, 2004 03:24PM
By Jerome
To have an idea a house in kileleswha next to Yaya center or in Hurlingham will cots between 20 to 40000 kshs ( this is a two bedroom house)
If you need further details contact me jerome@swiftkenya.com
 Reply  Quote

Utility costs
August 23, 2004 06:37AM
Hi

Utility costs are cheap in kenya. Power will not cost you more than Kshs. 2,000, water will be included in your rental is appartment. Telephone is expensive and will of course depend on usage. Most people prefer to use mobile phones as the most convenient, but also most expensive.

Let me know if you require more info.

Flo
 Reply  Quote

mobile phones
October 22, 2004 04:10AM
Anonymous User
I am interested in getting an idea of the prices of a mobile phone. What is the price of an inexpensive mobile phone? Would I be able to purchase one with 100 US Dollars in Kenya?
 Reply  Quote

Cost of a mobile phone in Kenya
October 22, 2004 04:25AM
I promised a friend in Kenya to buy him a mobile phone so that we can speak to each other. He says that the phone costs 300 US Dollars. Is this too expensive? Or reasonable? I read in an article about Kenya that one can be purchased for 100 US Dollars.
Please help me with some advice. Reply to:
wsmith@sintmaarten.net
Thanks
 Reply  Quote

cost of mobile phone
October 23, 2004 02:33PM
Smith and Silvester, cost of cellphones depend on size, and make. $100 can buy a nice small phone, although some phones would cost as much as $300. For a first time owner of a mobile phone, the upper cost is quite extravagant.
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living & Food in nairobi
December 15, 2004 07:58AM
Anonymous User
>I am considering a post in Nairobi
>and am curious about the cost
>of living Food style Education system. The information on
>the web is confusing and much
>of it appears dated.
>I am also interested in learning more
>about the cost of housing and
>areas that are both safe and
>convenient for transport to work near
>the Flower foudation Centre. The salary
>for the post is low (98000 Sh)
>comparison to UK standards, but I
>am wondering if it is sufficient
>for Nairobi (With One kid Education).Whether i can save.I hard that in africa crime is more.how about nairobi
>Many thanks in advance for your help.
>
I am waitng for your reply Pleas reply apae.
 Reply  Quote

regarding cost of living in kenya
January 20, 2005 09:45PM
Anonymous User
Hi, there
I will be moving to Nairobi kenya. I have the same question you asked and I am wondering if you got any information. I have 2 kids (4 and 10) will be living on an income of 70, 000 a month ksh. looking to rent in a safe area close to good schools . (will be living aprox. 2 years) I appreciate any information.
Thanks,
Ms. Jones
 Reply  Quote

cost of living in kenya
January 31, 2005 12:10PM
By shiku
Hi Ms. Jones,

a monthly income of 70,000 kshs does sound a bit on the lower side, especially if you have to send your two kids to good schools. Are you considering private schools that use the British system or private schools on the kenyan edu. system? take a look of some of the good international schools:
http://www.isk.ac.ke/
http://www.rva.org/

or kenyan schools:
http://www.makini.ac.ke/

dont hesitate to ask for more info, and good luck!
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living in Nairobi
June 19, 2005 02:11PM
Hi,
Would like to know the cost of living in the following ares in the city of Nairobi
1 Education Cost in PRIVATE SCHOOLS for 9/10 years old.
2. Average cost of domestic help.
3. Cost of groceries,provisions etc for a family of 2 adults and 1 kid.
4. Telephone, electricity charges.

Regards

Sapna.
 Reply  Quote

cost of living and indian school
September 04, 2005 01:07PM
Hi,
Iam planning to move to nairobi soon.I would like to know about cost of living,schools in nairobi.
Since we are indians,i would like to know about availablity of indian things.(groceries & Provisions)

If you receive any reply,let me know.

Regards,
Kumar.
 Reply  Quote

Planning to live in Nairobi
July 13, 2006 02:00PM
By Pablo
Hi!

I've found this forum and I have some questions regarding Cosys of living in Nairobi.
House or apartment rentals, electricity, food, groceries, telephone rates, private schools ans safety areas. May be it is too much but I need some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Pablo
 Reply  Quote

Living in Nairobi
July 25, 2006 11:17AM
By Asger
This is such a great place!

Hi! Im have just been accepted as an intern at an embassy in Nairobi and I am looking for a place to stay. I already read the above posts and learned a lot!

I have a few Qs regarding where to live in Nairobi:

I think I´ll be working on Waiaki way, which area of Nairobi close to this would you recomend that i try to find a place to live in?

Is there in Nairobi anywhere to advertise for a furnished room? an expat newspaper or webpage perhaps? or is this the only forum?

How to get around in Nairobi? (I guess biking is not recomended)

If anybody knows of somebody with a spare room from the beginning of september plz let me know!

Asger
 Reply  Quote

living in kenya
April 26, 2007 03:13PM
By full
I'll have some question about living near malindi, may I talk with you?

Fulvio
 Reply  Quote

Living near Makindi
April 26, 2007 08:41PM
By Bestpal
Drop me an email and i will help you over your concerns of living near Malindi.
Wangechi.m@gmail.com

Best,
Flo
 Reply  Quote

Living in Nairobi
May 26, 2007 02:51PM
By Ant
Hi, this is an student from Madrid. I will move to Nairobi en late september, butI don´t know how to get a place to stay, any help!!??
Thanks a lot.
 Reply  Quote

hi..
July 17, 2007 05:41AM
By amitj
Hi,this is amit jain from mumbai.i have been offered a job in Nairobi.Since i have no idea about the cost of living ,i need help from u.Can u plz guide me...certain things which i want to know are :
1) Wats the cost of living in Nairobi? Is the city expensive in terms of food,rental accommodations,travelling and other basic necessities?

2) Is vegetarian food easily available in Nairobi? Are there good decently priced indian restaurants? And are there tiffin services by indians?

3) Which are the good places to live in Nairobi... in terms of neighbourhoods and which places should i absolutely avoid?

4) Last but not the least...Approximately how much salary is good enough to live comfortabely and also save some money?I'm still at the negotiation stage..so this information will help me a lot.
 Reply  Quote

costs of school
July 17, 2007 10:02AM
By grodep
last informations i get are these : hillcrest school, peponi school braeburn school and kenton college, 700 000 Ksh/year, international school of kenya is 4000$ fee + 11000 $ /year.
This's quite big money... especially if you intend to earn 70 000Ksh/ month...
 Reply  Quote

any answers yet?
August 08, 2007 01:53PM
Hi Asger,

I have just been accepted as an intern as well (at UNHCR). Have you received any information yet on your topic? I am also looking for a place to stay in Nairobi, from January 'till June 2008. Maybe you could help me when you are in Nairobi allready?

Thanks for now,

Evelien
 Reply  Quote

Internship with UN
October 20, 2008 08:14PM
By ykung
Hi Evelien,

I have the same issue now---if it all works out with my school, I will be interning in Nairobi with UNCRD this January. Do you have any tips?

Thanks!
Yvonne
 Reply  Quote

Re: Internship with UN
December 28, 2011 05:26PM
Hey!
I will be leaving for a intern with the UNDP in Febrary. Do the UN generally helps to find an accomodation? Do you have any tips about where and how to find a house? Also, if you could give me an idea about how much it can cost to rent a room or a flat!

Thank you so much!!!

Isa
 Reply  Quote

Re: Nairobi cost of living, housing
January 18, 2012 03:49PM
Hey Its not that hard In nairobi i work at Yaya commute from Jamhuri estate like 100 minutes by but i pay ksh50 in the morning the housing is ideal a good 2bedroom house goes for ksh 30000 thats a house with the master br ensuit plus pay bills approximately totals to 5000 electricity internet and water its a pretty good place to live if you have a tight budget
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map