Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Feel free

Mombasa - culture/race relations
June 22, 2004 12:14AM
By a
Hi. I'm hoping to go to Mombasa in January. Just wondering if there are any cultural/racial issues I should be wary of. I'm a female Canadian of Chinese descent. I have heard that there is some racial tension towards Asians. Just want to know if there are grounds for these rumours. Also, I understand that the east of Kenya is mainly Muslim, and am wondering what sort of dress would be appropriate. I know about long skirts, but should the shoulders and arms be covered as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- A
 Reply  Quote

culture/race reply
July 26, 2004 03:04PM
Anonymous User
A, hi,
The people of kenya are very loving and humble. Yes the east of kenya esp. the coastal region is mainly muslim but that does not mean that the dress code is defferent. Feel free to contact me on any querries you might want answered on my e mail add.
 Reply  Quote

Mombasa
September 04, 2004 11:09AM
Anonymous User
Mombasa is the best place for a holiday.
There is no dressing code. Do you need any other assistance from a local person? Contact me on
Shitswel@yahoo.com or call me on +254733967393
 Reply  Quote

Feel free
September 30, 2004 02:52PM
Anonymous User
Mombasa you said? been here 3 years, and im yet to see a better torelant society. Come see churches next to mosques, bars next to temples yet the cardinal rules are obseved. Every one goes on with his/herlife. As for dressing, u cannot resisit exposing yr shoulders, the heat is sometimes unbearable. And anyway every one is doing it!! Free free!
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map