Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Women travelling alone

Women travelling alone
March 20, 2002 08:58AM
By JB
I am planning to take a trip to Kenya and other countries in Africa in the upcomming months. I am 20 year old woman, and i have been warned that it isn't the best choice for a young woman to travel to this country alone. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
 Reply  Quote

kenya, etc
May 09, 2002 09:39PM
Anonymous User
i may be there in june and thereafter. when are you planning on going? - guillermo
 Reply  Quote

women travelling alone
June 25, 2002 06:01AM
Anonymous User
many have done before and nothing happens to them. But I would like to advise you that kenya is going thru an election year and it get really volatile at times as nerves get heated.
Do not carry anything can not afford to lose. Carry clothes that are not that flashy. People will look at what you have and want it from you at any cost. Be very friendly and firm on what you want and what you do not want, sometimes people might want to coax you to do things you would not want to do so that they can see your breaking point. Carry an american express card and travellers checks. Carry all valiables as close as possible to your body ... passpost and cash and checks..
take care , because you can be a very esay target to a hungry thug. Oh yeah stay out of the dark..

good luck

Reply  Quote

Solo woman
March 05, 2003 04:13PM
Anonymous User
I just found this post. For any woman going to Kenya on your own, please read "A Death in Kenya". Pay heed. Liz
 Reply  Quote

fall visit to Kenya
March 24, 2003 09:43PM
Anonymous User
Hi,
I will be visiting Kenya this Sept (2003) and will be with a group until october 5. From there I have no idea what I'll be doing as I've no experience travelling in Africa (I'm 19) I'm trying to find a second volunteer based organization to join up to - just to make things a little easier, but I will be taking my tent and looking to do some camping or time out on my own. Have you come across any info in your searches, do you have any prior experience, or are you looking for someone to join up with? any info or anything would be great as I'm having a difficult time coming across things.
 Reply  Quote

Women travelling alone
April 07, 2003 05:31PM
Anonymous User
My best friend and traveled to Kenya and Tanzania in January 2002. Before she arrived in Nairobi, I was on my own for 3 days. I walked around the city centre and around a couple of other neighbourhoods - approx. 10 blocks away from my hostel. I never felt I was in danger. No one ever came up to me to ask for things. The people at the hostel said I wasn't approached because I wasn't wearing any gold/silver jewellry - a dead giveaway for an outsider. They also said I looked like I belonged there because I was wearing a skirt...now it was only a plain brown nylon skirt (with Birkenstocks) but the hostel staff said that wearing long skirts is very 'African'. I did not wear hiking boots and quick dry pants....also a dead giveaway.

Further to what you're wearing on your person, I would say that you have enough common sense not to go into areas that tourists don't go. That you don't wave around your money. That you don't walk down dark streets at night.

People think that Nairobi is extremely dangerous and I'm not saying that it's not BUT may I also put forth that LA and Chicago are extremely dangerous as well...

My friend and I had an amazing experience everywhere we went and more importantly, we met amazing people.

It was the best trip of my life so far. I hope you have the same experience.
 Reply  Quote

Safe in Kenya?
March 24, 2004 10:47AM
Anonymous User
Yes you can be safe in Kenya as long as u use your head in all that you do. Normal precautions will see u safely thru as that is how prudent Kenyans operate. Kenya is safe, amd that is the message we spread
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map