Africa Guide
recommended trip :

I'll Help You

I'll Help You
April 05, 2002 11:29PM
By JB
Botswana people are 50% christian and 50%indegenous beliefs. They live in little one bedroom houses made up of mud brick walls.It might take a while to find more info but there is a lot out there. I have a ton. Hope ya find more info!
Good Luck
 Reply  Quote

timeline
December 17, 2002 05:39PM

Botswana
December 26, 2002 08:26PM
Anonymous User
I was in Botswana in June and will be going back in February with a group of Baptist preachers. The local religion is based on ancestor worship. They believe you must honor the dead or they will come back and hurt you in some way. When something bad happens they often blame it on the fact that you did not honor your forefathers enough. Christianity is growing there but it has been blended in somewhat with their local beliefs.

The people of Botswana are incredibly nice. They will give you what they have as a visitor. Botswana changes from very comfortable living and nice homes to smaller home in the villages. The capital city gabarone pronounced Habarone is much like any mid sized city in the US. They have malls and restraints much like ours. Out in the villages things are different. Many of the people do live in small homes but most are have 2 to 3 rooms with concrete floors. About 40% of the homes in villages have electricity. I was surprised to go into some homes and see nice TVs and stereo systems. Several homes also have satellite dishes. Every home was on a concrete block. I saw no dirt floors. The homes generally have a kitchen outside that could be just a fire or it could be a small wood structure.

When I was there in June it was very cold at night it would be in the middle to high 30s. Most people have no heat and I was surprised to see how little clothing they wore even though it was cold.

By African standards Botswana is a prosperous country it has good cattle exports to Europe as well as minerals like diamonds. It has a good tourism industry also. Botswana's government is quite stable. The ruling party has been in charge since Botswana gained independence in the 60's.

The Population of Botswana is about 1.5 million. Many people from the surrounding countries attempt to sneak into Botswana a lot like Hispanics sneak into the US.

I can't think us much else at the moment but send me an email if you want to know more. I can send you pictures of the wildlife or of homes and such. Good luck and God Bless. Pray for me if you will that God will protect my family while I am away and that I will be able to reach the people for Jesus.
 Reply  Quote

Social Studies project
May 06, 2001 12:12PM
Anonymous User
Hello. My name is Beth and I am in 7th grade at Lakeshore Middle School, Grand Haven, MI. In Social Studies we are learning about Africa and we were each individually assigned a country in Africa to make a brochure on. In the brochure we need to add things about Botswana like the type of religion, the types of clothes a travelor will need, the activities a travelor might engage in, difficulties that might be encountered by a travelor, particular sights that a travelor will not want to miss, interesting historical facts, things like that about Botswana. If you help me I will be truely greatful. And if you don't I understand.
~Beth
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map