Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Weddings in botswana - After info

Hi all,
I am an Australian who is lucky enough to have met one of Botswana's Jewels. She is currently studying here in Australia, however we plan on moving to Botswana once the studies are complete. I am trying to find information on how a wedding/marriage is carried out in Botswana as I want to honor the cultural traditions.

If anyone was able to provide me information on Lobola, and the other traditions surrounding marriage in Botswana I would be most grateful. I know there may be a role for the uncles to meet, but I am having trouble uncovering the information. Any little tid bits would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Happy Aussie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2009 02:08PM by Gregegan79.
 Reply  Quote

Hi Happy Aussie. Congradulations.

well there is a lot of tradition involved when marrying a motswana woman. As an aussie man it wont be as strict as it would be if it was a motswana man.
I am from botswana and living and in aussie and engaged to an aussie man. we planning to get married next year in Botswana. well traditionally he has to pay bride price. What i did was talk to my mum and told her we planned to get married, so i asked my mum to talk to my uncles and get an idea of how much or what they expect as a bride price. I taking my fiancee home to meet my family this year and he will take the bride price with him and ask for my ahdn in marriage and then pay at the same time while we there. after this is done you can plan for your wedding otehr you have a lot of angry uncles saying you marrying yourselfs.

Hope this helps.
 Reply  Quote

It does, thank you very much for that. We are heading back at the end of this year as well to meet the family, really looking forward to it. Thanks for your reply!

Greg
 Reply  Quote

Hello there! Congratulation about the wedding smiling smiley I am envy to you a bit. Sorry I involve your post but can you help with advise how can I meet woman from Botswana. Is there any forum or else... Most of the sites are full with prostitutes and I do not need such a contact for God sake.
Is there any normal way to meet such a precious woman from Botswana?
Thank you very much.
And sorry one more time!
 Reply  Quote

I was just lucky, we happened to study together. I think providence steps in when you least expect :-)
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map