Africa Guide
recommended trip :

be serious

Security in East Africa
December 07, 2005 04:36PM
By jimbob
Hi/Jambo!

I've been offered a job that would involve travelling in East Africa (Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania) and some people have been warning me that it is often unsafe there.

I'm deciding whether to take the job at the moment, and I'll be living in Dar Es Salaam for 6 months next year, but travelling to Kampala and Nairobi. I'm very excited about seeing these countries, but a bit worried about violent crime. It would be great if anyone could tell me what it's really like.

Many thanks for any help!

James
 Reply  Quote

Been there!
March 16, 2006 04:09PM
By Zoleka
HI James been in africa all my 25 years am now 27 that means i have been out of my country two years. I come from east africa, i would like to know who told you East africa was unsafe? have they been there? From what i know East Africa is very safe... what work are you going to be doing. Please email me and i can tell you more about it.
Zoleka
 Reply  Quote

travle in east africa
August 24, 2006 03:39AM
By sed
dont let people scare you. you will find people who are scared to leave their front door, scared to get out of bed!

i spent time in all of those countries and there is not a week goes by that I dont think about going back. Becoming infected with an unforgetable love for that piece of the world is the risk. Sure there are unscrupulous people anywhere, but the vast majority of people are wonderful and generous and amazing. You are in for a treat!

As for dangers, bus travel can be a bit hair-raising, but probably if not a lot more risk than commuting daily in traffic in major cities in america. In Nairobi you want to have your wits about you and be smart, dont wear watches or jewelery or flash around fancy stuff. When I was in Dar 6 years ago i loved it and felt quite safe. I am a woman who travels alone- went by cab out to hear bands both there and in Nairobi in the eves a lot. Loved the place! You are lucky to get a job there!
 Reply  Quote

Security in East Africa
February 21, 2007 10:08AM
By Mara
Dear james,

Take the job!

Best,

Mara
 Reply  Quote

Security in EA
March 02, 2007 12:25PM
By piemu
LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-07 AT 12:28 PM (GMT)

Jimmy ,
Dont worry,warmly welcome in EA,I will host you and take care of you all the way in this region.Rest assured that the place is safer than ever.Dar Es Salaam is the safest city in EA.

You're coardially invited
 Reply  Quote

"very safe"
March 15, 2007 11:51AM
By Ssanyu
Jimmy,
Do not get scared before you even try. Whoever told is malicious about E.Africa. You'll love it endlessly and am sure you'll not love to go back once you reach Kampala. Anyway for any assistance once in Kampala you can reach me on my mobile: +256772453943. Do not hesitate to call.
 Reply  Quote

be serious
May 10, 2007 09:23PM
By kikomi

i work and stay in dallas, tx, which according to the FBI is the second most violent city in the USA ( we are just behind chicaago)
We have 4 murders (violent... gun related a day) would you take a job here?
I work in the law enforcement, and i can assure you that the total violent crimes for the 3 countries would dwalf dallas. of-course, have you ever seen travel warnings to dallas!!!
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map