Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Safety in Victoria Falls

Safety in Zimbabwe
May 21, 2004 03:19AM
By richard
I am planning a trip that includes a 2 night visit at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. I am very concerned about personal safety, as warned by the current US State Department travel warnings about Zimbabwe. Has anyone been there recently? Is Victoria Falls a safe area, or is it a area where tourists are targeted for theft, etc.?
 Reply  Quote

Safety in Victoria Falls
May 24, 2004 05:49AM
Anonymous User
I donĀ“t know whether Zimbabwe is a safe area now, as it is three years since I was there, but Victoria Falls is certainly the safest area in Zimbabwe. They have armed guards to protect you, not against thieves but against buffaloes and elephants.
 Reply  Quote

Safety in Victoria Falls
February 08, 2005 02:38PM
Anonymous User
I dont want to blow my own trumpet since I'm Zimbabwean, but I occasionally read this forum and the internet news and I must say I'm amazed at the exaggeration on reality. I urge you to come and see for yourself, thats the best. Please post a message again and let everyone know how you find it!
 Reply  Quote

safety in zim
March 09, 2005 01:28PM
By poobear
me being a zimbabwean myself i find it hard when people ask such questions, as i have recently moved to the uk, the reason i moved was not because of safety but for education. i still believe that zimbabwe is the most beautiful country in the world and i do recomend that you atleast visit, once you have been there you won't want to leave go on and see for yourself you won't regret it.
 Reply  Quote

Zimbabwe is very safe if you stay out of politics.I am a black Zimbabwean and my Husband is white British and we visit zimbabwe twice in a year without any problems.But i think like anywhere in a foreign country you need to avoid dodgey places and carrying expensive stuff unnecessarily! While in Harare stay in a good hotel like Meikles and avoid going down town!Its a good idea to avoid going into town because at the moment there isnt much to see or buy.Visit shopping centres that are out of town like Semi Levi and Chapungu in Masasa(they sell beautiful hand painted kitchenware,cushions and quality bedding)
Victoria Falls is very safe and I would recommend you visit now when the Hotels and Activities are still cheap!The easiest way to get to Vic Falls is by air.Book in advance as they tend to have full flights, especially on Fridays.
In Vic Falls I strongly recommend Vic Falls Safari Lodge for people without kids, as space is very limited but the lodge is amazing with a chance to view animals from your balcon.VFSL has a lovely and lively atmosphere with good, friendly staff.
Elephant Hills Hotel is good if you are into Golf and there is space for kids to play , including a big swimming pool and a tennis court.However,Elephant Hills Hotel is a very big and it can be a "bit deserted" as it tends to have very few guests (in relation to its size)
Azambezi Hotel is value for money, right on the Zambezi. We found it a bit deserted again, especially in the evenings.
Victoria Falls Hotel is ideal for those who like a five star formal envronment.Dont be deceived by the small front , its massive at the back with an amazing view of the Falls. Its a big hit with elderly visitors
There are several other good hotels but unfortunately I havent stayed in them, yet!

No matter what you do not leave before you have 1. visited a place called the BOMA (serve Zim food including the famous! mupane worm.The last time I was there, they even had a "joke teller". The jokes where as flat as pancakes but, hey, it was still a giggle.
2. done an elephant ride and a lion walk
3 bunjee jumped
These are just special experiences!!
If you are planning to canoe in the Zambezi you have a good chance of coming across some Hippos.Its essential to have canoeing skills beforehand or at least make sure the guide gives you enough time practise before you start the trip.Listen carefully to the dos and dont's. Our canoeing trip turned into a horror when when we came face to face with Hippos that where just about 2 metres away and failed to flee as we were struggling to control the canoe!

If you still have doubts about safety in Zimbabwe, ask the South Africans!There is a huge number of them visiting Vic Falls and most of them say they keep coming back because Zimbabwe is a lot SAFER AND CHEAPER than South Africa
My husband and I will be passing through on our way to Kariba this Xmas. See you there!!
 Reply  Quote

What safe means?
January 04, 2008 02:57PM
By melg
Safe for a tourist in Zimbabwe would mean that you visit tourist places. Do not ask political questions to any resident. Do not visit non-tourist areas like high density surbubs, taking photos and stuff. Its like Russia, if u are a tourist, behave like one. Sometimes u may be unfortunate with the law if they think you are a spy or something. Well, that would be sad. Good luck
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map