Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Landownership in Tanzania

Landownership in Tanzania
January 03, 2005 03:11PM
By kathryn
Hello beautiful people of Tanzania,
I love your country and its people. I visited your country last year and fell in love with it. i would like to move to Tanzania soon and hopefully start a family with a Tanzanian man (hint hint).
In the meantime, I am interested in finding out how the Law stands in terms of a foreigner owning land. Can a foreigner own Land 100%? like leasing for a certain amount of years? Or do they have to share with a Tanzanian? Please give me concrete information, I love your country and wowuld love to settle there.
Kathryn.
 Reply  Quote

habari
January 27, 2005 01:14AM
By ALI
Hello KATHY
This Ali from zanzibar, first I want you to know that any foreigner can not own land you have the right to get lease but not to own the land in tazania only local has the right to own the land. any question I will help you.
Ali take care
 Reply  Quote

land onership
January 27, 2005 06:15PM
Anonymous User
to be honest even tanzanians do not own land they do lease for 99 years, in tanzania lands belongs to the government only, if the government gives you a land for 99 years and you dont develop it say within 3 years, it takes it back and give to anybody able to use it.
 Reply  Quote

people own land
January 30, 2005 04:57PM
By ALI
hello Edward,
I dont know where do you get that information, if you are Tanzanian citizen you can own land I have two houses in zanzir and I do business with it I dont know where you get that information. Mybe you talked with people who doesnt know anything about law in zanzibar or tanzania , Iam local and I own house in stone stown. people do own houses.
 Reply  Quote

Re: people own land
December 22, 2016 05:17PM
Greeting Adward,
I had a question if you can answer would be great helpful. I was born in zanzibar not too far from stone town. I moved to America 23 years now. I left zanzibar age 13 now am 35. I want to buy a home or land for my self in the future but my parenta still live there. I have tanzania and usa passport. Can I but that or I have to be under my dad as co signer since I heard we not allowed duel citizenship. Thank you very much.
Rahima
 Reply  Quote

people own land
January 31, 2005 11:48AM
Anonymous User
Dear Ali you own your houses not a land - not so sure with zanzibar but tanzania mainland NO one owns a land, they have a lease like what Edward is saying.
A foreigner who asked - you can NOT own a land in Tanzania but you can have a lease of maximum - not more than 100 years
 Reply  Quote

Land ownership
February 02, 2005 02:21PM
Anonymous User
In Tanzania no one owns land outright. All land in Tanzania is owned by the government. Citizens only apply for a lease from the office of land registry and they get a certificate to show the boundaries that they own etc.. In some parts of the country where land is not so heavly regulated, the local government (or CCM office) can give you land provided you register as a member of the village, you work on the land and you pay a small fee. Then eventually you can register for the lease from the land registry office. All this however, applies to Tanzanian citizens. I suggest you contact the land registry/local Tanzanian embassy to get information that is more relevant to you.

Hope this helps. All I would say is be very careful when buying land; there is a lot of deception going on as people are buying land for profit and deception can happen.

Juliana
 Reply  Quote

land ownership
July 16, 2006 05:55PM
By johari
juliana is perfect right concerning the ownership of land.what i would advice is that anyone who wants to get a "right of occupancy" where most of the citizens in Tanzania term it as land ownership should first read the terms and conditions in the LAND ACT No 4 and 5 of 1999, it will give you all crew concerning registration and everything.
thats is all for me.

johari
 Reply  Quote

hi
January 29, 2007 02:23AM
Hi I saw your message that your interested in moving to Tanzania and start a family! are you still interested! if you are contact me for more information!
J
 Reply  Quote

Land
February 13, 2007 08:25PM
By Liana
Hi I am looking to buy a property or a small hotel in Tanzania preferably in Dar. Could please advice me on location and price. What is the occupancy rate for the hotels aver. during the year? Thank's.
 Reply  Quote

land
February 20, 2007 01:07AM
LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-07 AT 01:08 AM (GMT)

Hi im asking a silmar question as KATHY about land ownership for a safari type busines if i ever manage. Do you have to be a local to own land in Zimbabwe or Namibia. Thanks Mark
 Reply  Quote

Hi
February 21, 2007 02:27PM
Hello Liana, if you email me I will get you all the information you want, I think I have what you want!
 Reply  Quote

Re: Hi
December 22, 2016 05:23PM
Greeting,
I have a question if you can answer would be great helpful. I was born in zanzibar not too far from stone town. I moved to America 23 years now. I left zanzibar age 13 now am 35. I want to buy a home or land for my self in the future in zanzibar and dar es salaam but my parents still live there. I have tanzania and usa passport. Can I buy these properties or I have to be under my dad as co signer since I heard we not allowed duel citizenship. Thank you very much.
Rahima
 Reply  Quote

Lands in Tanzania Arusha
February 26, 2007 08:55AM
Hi all Tanzanian,
1. Im interested for a land in Arusha. The specifications are as follows:
1. I don’t want the land to be in the city but should not be away for more than 6 KM.
2. Preferably, up hill and road to Kenya.
3. 4 acres maximum, and don’t mind to share with expatriate.
2. What are the prices looks like? Where that money goes since it is lease for long, say 99 years time? After I invest, business of private, and government decided to take back the land before the 99 years. How they will refund the assets which cant be allocated?

Any one to help.
 Reply  Quote

Re: Lands in Tanzania Arusha
March 21, 2015 07:22PM
HI Nasser Al-Shuely,

Are you still interested with land in Arusha... up hill and road to Kenya...??

Please advise

My contacts: zulfikar@karibuworld.com
Mobile: +255 767 552592
 Reply  Quote

Re: Lands in Tanzania Arusha
January 30, 2017 07:16AM
By luse
Its 10 acres beach plot with 170 meters beach front. It is situated about 50 kms on the northen hot touristic spot of Nungwi. It has a 49 years lease title and all other legal papers including building permit for building a hotel/resort.
 Reply  Quote

hi i have passed through your message;titled how to own land in tanzania for the case of foreign investors.
under s.24 of the tanzania land act of 1999.(grant the right of occupancy) and s. 25(1)(h) if the right of occupancy made by a foreigner or foreign company the foreigner has to apply for right of occupancy, the form must be accompanied by certificate of approval granted by the (TANZANIA INVESTMENT CENTER) under the tanzania investment act of 1997 and any other document which can be prescribed by the act or any other act.
REAL WELCOM IN TANZANIA IT IS A NICE PLACE FOR LIVING AS WELL AS INVESTMENT. any issues associated to real property investment ask me i will be there for you.becouse it is within my Professional .KARIBU SANA TANZANIA
 Reply  Quote

land ownership(litle challenge)
April 08, 2008 11:05AM
By vudured
Johari your perfectly lazy critical thinker as directing the school of thought from juliana to you. land in united republic of tanzania is a public land and is vested to the president of the republic of tanzania as a trustee. land can be acquired through customary right of occupancy(CRO) and granted right of occupancy(GRO) the GRO can be tressed to the office of a registrer of land in any form, and the other occupancy of land. leases are either registable according to circumstances and definition of lease. The land Acts mentioned by johari have been revised in 2006 so advice her to revisit the Acts again.
thanks
 Reply  Quote

Property Investment in Arusha
May 24, 2008 06:12PM
By cusackg
Hi,

I really need help. I have a reasonable land in the heart of Arusha town, and have been thinking of building a modern commercial building and perhaps apartments as well. I have little knowledge about construction and the steps to follow to get permission for construction, getting the right contrator, getting a loan etc. I am undergoing an intensive research and I will kindly appreciate your help whether you have the experience or knowledge.
 Reply  Quote

Re: Property Investment in Arusha
January 30, 2017 07:18AM
By luse
Its 10 acres beach plot with 170 meters beach front. It is situated about 50 kms on the northen hot touristic spot of Nungwi. It has a 49 years lease title and all other legal papers including building permit for building a hotel/resort.
 Reply  Quote

property investment
May 25, 2008 07:28AM
Hi cusackg,

I am a varsity student, pursuing a bachelor degree leading bachelor of science in real estate finace and investment and on top of that soon i will be at arusha doing my fieldwork at arusha municipal council, an authority empowered by law to deal with all matters on land in arusha municipality. Knowledge wise I can assist you in making your property investment dream be true, just drop me an e-mail at swaimathias@yahoo.com. thax
 Reply  Quote

hi, i can help you
May 28, 2008 01:56PM
hi
how are you?
if you want to own land here in Tanzania,first you should understand 10 procedure in order to avoid any kind of cheating,go to the website of worldbak,then look at the section of doing buisiness go to tanzania,the you read procedure of the propety and land ownership in tanzania.
if you need other information contact to me in my email ,i will help you effectively.
 Reply  Quote

land ownership in tanzania
June 09, 2008 06:49AM
By arusha
hi,katherine u can own land only if apply the deed from the government,people can own land from the government by leasing only,terms of lease ,eg 33yrs,66yrs,nlong lease of 99yrs,so if u fill 2come in tanzania wellcome my name is mr laiser estate agent arusha tanzania,deal with leasing/sells of properties thanxvery much ur wellcome
 Reply  Quote

Re: land ownership in tanzania
March 08, 2012 06:06PM
By Hungu
I am a Tanzanian and like to know the procedure to purchase land in my country. Am presently living abroad. Can some one please help me. I mean the registration and all and how.
 Reply  Quote

March 09, 2012 08:30AM
By arusha
Hi,catherin hope u doing well,u can buy land in Tanzania or renting either being partineship with Tanzanian as well,also ll like to welcome u in Arusha the heart of African countries,can cont via +255 757 446486
 Reply  Quote

December 29, 2013 12:34PM
Hi if you are interested to buy/lease/rent a land please contact me
[www.facebook.com]
 Reply  Quote

March 09, 2014 01:33PM
By arusha
Hi cathy habari still on need of land in Tanzania?if yes contact me direct via my hot line +255 757 446486 to get the general information on how u can owned land here also i ll like to welcome u in Arusha the hea
rt of African country were excelent is available thanx verry much ur warmly welcome
 Reply  Quote

July 23, 2014 11:28AM
any foreigners or expatriates interested in land or matters related to law in land and law services for that matter, are welcome to inquire, freely without a catch!. My email is curio32000@gmail.com
 Reply  Quote

August 15, 2016 05:00PM
Hi,

I hope my (bad) experience in Zanzibar can help all foreigners who like Tanzania and would like to move there.

I have a degree in Swahili and started to visit Tanzania in 1973. So I know enough about the country, but....

I knew that land and houses still belong to the governament. If you want a plot you should apply to the governamet but didn't know anything about the procedure. I knew that a foreign must have local partner! I knew too that those local partners are used to deceive their foreign partners.

I knew that a person in Zanzibar was brought up by a foreign couple, when the couple reached the retirement age since they didn't have any relatives decided to move to Zanzibar. Of course they "bought" a plot jointly with that person telling him that he will inherit all. Well after few months the Zanzibari killed them! Fortunately, the police discovered that and captured him (this was very extraordinary action, because police don't anything if you don't pay for "mafuta"!) Well, that person said that he killed them because they were delaying their death! This is a true story.

Another case. A Hungarian female built a hotel jointly with a Zanzibari female (they were friends, of course). After a few year the Zanzibari female succeeded with the help of her Zanzibari friends to expel out the Hungarian one. The police didn't nothing... as usual. She tried to go to court, but her lawyer (one of the most famous lawyers) agreed with the Zanzibari and registered the property to himself! Now the Hungarian doesn't have any money, she can't buy food every day, she can't go back to Europe! Even this is a true story.

I knew other incredible stories, but let me continue with my own story.
So because I knew the problem I tried to be careful. I followed the procedure my two "friends" told me, but before asking for a plot I obbliged them to visit a lawyer and I asked them to subscribe a declaration in which they declare that were dummies and that every things belongs to me. In the meanwhile I was waiting for a resident permit, which according to lawyers would allow me to "buy" any property. The declaration was officially registered.
So I allowed one of them to register every thing to him. After eight month I discovered that he was stealing me, so I sent him away. I went to the Land Office to explain my case, so I discovered that any foreign can get a lease! They told me that my "friends" cheated me and they helped me to get the lease. Everything seems ok, now. Not at all! My friend went to court pretending that he got the land! I showed my documents, the declaration and the lease, to the court and he withdrew the charge. I lost a lot of money because the court didn't ask him to pay a penality!
Nowdays, after one year someone told him that I'm in Europe because of an emergecy operation he went again to the court with the same charge!
It's incredible!

I will lose everything.

So please pay attention!
 Reply  Quote

September 04, 2016 01:27PM
Hi,

I am looking to buy a small piece of land in local village in Zanzibar...

So you concluded any foreigner can get a lease and there is no need to involve a local person in the contract on my behalf?

Do I really need resident permit to apply for a lease? Didn't know this...

I know it's a necessity to start building within the three years tehy say form when you buy the land or ideally build a wall foundation straight away from lease approval. Any other tips?

I was thinking to purchase for residential property but heard there is a new rule that any land above a tiny village sized hut needs to be registered as a company (rather than residential)? Is this correct?

Thanks for any tips.
 Reply  Quote

September 24, 2016 11:18AM
Foreigners can lease the land without problem.
Zanzibar has very smooth regulations and terms for foreigners.
The local person preferred to stand as referee i(likei n CV),so Local person is not standing on behalf of Owner,will stand on your own and local as supportive tool.

No resident perming needed to apply for lease but will be needed in the futures as your base in Zanzibar.Also you can have it when you register your property.So,shortly,is highly recommended to smooth your ownership.
Is highly recommended to start to build any building on plot,this will show that there is something on progress than living a vacant land,Government emphasize this because some people were and having been buying plot and leave it for 5 - 10 years and waiting for the price to come up,then this blocks potential investors who will be benefitable for government upon opening of the project and operate which will reflect to the increasing of revenue.

Residential plot:This must be commercial
Government has its own rule and need to know how and why foreigners are here and their benefit.
so,will have to buy and build a home house,but registration will be on commercial,which means,like Villa or house then will rent it while you are away.
So,must register as a company which will be the one holding the property.
 Reply  Quote

January 30, 2017 07:25AM
By luse
hello am selling a land in zanzibar
Its 10 acres beach plot with 170 meters beach front. It is situated about 50 kms on the northen hot touristic spot of Nungwi. It has a 49 years lease title and all other legal papers including building permit for building a hotel/resort. if your interested contact me +255656202038
 Reply  Quote

Inheritance
August 19, 2017 06:24PM
Hi my name is Anastasia and im based in Germany.

I inherited a property from my late father a long while ago and honestly i have not had any use for it because one is im living now abroad.and do not often come to Tanzania and i think its just utterly fair that i sell it and give it to someone who might have use for it,preferrrebly investing purposes .

The property is located in mererani and looks very promising.

How do i go about selling it?

If anyone is interested please contact me and we can talk about it..

Thank you so much ,
Lovely Greetings..
Anastasia.
 Reply  Quote

Re: Inheritance
March 07, 2018 10:24PM
By hayri
Dear Anastasia, Could you please contact me by hayri.dagli@gmail.com regarding your land? Thanks a lot.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map