Africa Guide
recommended trip :

hi jagadish

Cost of living
June 06, 2004 03:55PM
By mikaili
I am planning to move to Tanzania in 2005 with my wife. I would like to have information on the following in either US dollars or Tanzanian Shillings:
What is the price of an average house in Dar or Arusha
How much is the average monthly bill for electricity, water, and telephone
How much is the average monthly bill for groceries for a family of two not living in luxury
Can someone survive on $2000 a month?
 Reply  Quote

its enough.
June 20, 2004 02:45PM
Anonymous User
Thanks for asking for information aoubt living in tanzania especialy dar and arusha,in Arusha is little bit expensive but dar its not so expensive if you compeare it with arusha ,because Arusha its tourist centre,thats why.About currency T-shilling its fluctuating every day the value is going down everyday,1200 is eqivalent to 1 us dollars.
The electricity bill is not not much and now in dar we use pre-paid card to it depend of how many electric applances you have.Its also depend in water and telephones and your daily consumption which will depend on your daily grocceries.
Willing to hear more from you. byee erastus
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living
June 20, 2004 10:49PM
By mikaili
Thank you for your reply.Do you mean one can have a good lifesyle with $2000 or do you mean it is just enough to get by.
 Reply  Quote

cost of living
June 28, 2004 01:25AM
Anonymous User
Yes, one can have a good life style with $2000 and on top of that you will save even half ofit.
$700 is enough for 3-4 members of a family to pay bills, and you will enjoy the rest of it if you want to travel for tourism purpose.
Arusha is a very nice place, the weather is nice and when you be there, you can also venture your own business and also find a decent job (but dar-es-salaam has more job opportunities compared to Arusha). The city is close to Nairobi-kenya.
Better housing rates but you will get good deals if you get a host to find better rental rates.
I wish you luck and welcome to Arusha
carol
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living
July 07, 2004 12:12PM
By Peter
Very right, u can survive with $2000 a month.
Please feel free to email me for more information about accomodation in Dar es salaam.
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living
September 03, 2004 10:44AM
By andre
Mikaili. Arusha Nice furnished house in security compound US 450 to 650. Utilities 30 Food 100 Beer 1 each Petrol about 1 a litre

Hope this helps Prices as sept 2004. Exchange rate 1080 Tschilling for 1 USD.

Andre
 Reply  Quote

Part Time in Dar
September 06, 2004 11:15AM
By James
Hi, all, I intend to come to Dar, for my post graduate studies, is there a possibilty that I might be able to get a part time job. How hard is it to come by jobs in Dar.
 Reply  Quote

Part time in Dar
September 06, 2004 08:19PM
By Maja
Hey,
I'd also like to know about possible part time jobs in Dar, since I'll study as well.
/Mariana
 Reply  Quote

-
September 06, 2004 08:24PM
By Maja
I'd also like to get in contact with NGO's working for women and/or children or education, for part time volunteer work.
 Reply  Quote

Moving to Dar es Salaam
September 12, 2004 08:37PM
Anonymous User
Hi all!
I'm an american moving to TZ, specifically Dar to do social science research. I too am wondering about part time work. I'll be down there on the Oct. 1st, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!

All the Best,
Jamison
 Reply  Quote

maternal health care in Tanzania
September 15, 2004 05:17AM
By chris
I too am an American looking to move to Dar and would like to know the following:
1) if working for a US NGO (full benefits) how much will we spend monthly?
2) How hard is it for a spouse to find a job?
3) What is the maternal health care like, should we become pregnant while overseas?

I appreciate any feedback.
 Reply  Quote

Enquiry on Cost of Living
September 16, 2004 05:17AM
Anonymous User
Hi
I am form India. I am a job in Tanzania in Dar Es Salaam as Software marketing executive. I was offered a salary of 25000 Tanzanian Shelling. Accomadation will be provided by the comany which is again a doubt as of now. Is 25000 Tanzanian Shelling enough to lead a decent life in Dar Es Salaam. I am single and not married. Do i have to ask for more salary?

Jagadish
 Reply  Quote

Enquiry on Cost of Living
September 16, 2004 05:28AM
Hi
I am form India. I have a job offer in Tanzania in Dar Es Salaam as Software marketing executive. I was offered a salary of 25000 Tanzanian Shellings. Accomadation will be provided by the company which is again a doubt as of now. Is 25000 Tanzanian Shelling enough to lead a decent life in Dar Es Salaam. I am single and not married. Do i have to ask for more salary?
Jagadish
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living
September 28, 2004 07:11PM
By mikaili
Can you be more specific? We are looking for a lot outside Arusha where we can build about two self-contained modern houses. Please advise of land costs and the construction costs.
 Reply  Quote

Life In Tanzania
October 11, 2004 06:19PM
Anonymous User
So this is a general mail for all on this thread.

Re: $2000/month salary: In general it is a good salary for Tanzania but it depends on your life style. Do you like to go out to dinner more than once a week? Do you have children whose school fees you need to pay. Is your rent extra or is it included in the $2000? For an average 3 bedroom house, expect to pay between $500 - $700. Something luxury can run you up to $3000/month. That 500 - 700 does NOT include your bills.
Those are on top. Average house hold, TV, fridge, freezer, a/c, expect about 100/150 a month. Water is negligible at about $10-$20.
Expect your living expenses in Tanzania to be the same as they are whereever you are now, is the guideline.
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living in Tanzania
October 11, 2004 06:32PM
Anonymous User
Are you sure it is 25,000 Tanzanian Shillings? The Government mandated minimum wage is 48,000 Tanzanian Shillings. The exchange rate to the US Dollar is 1USD/1100 Tshs (+-50). I guess that the are going to pay for your accomodation? How about transport? Tanzania is expensive because of high energy costs (It is recognized as a country with some of the highest energy tariffs in the World . One unit of electricity (1kilowatthour) is about $1 in Tanzania. In the US it is about $0.15. An electric bill for an average household with 1 fridge, 1 electric cooker, 1 freezer, 3 air conditioners is about $100/150 per month. A beer costs Tshs 800 average. That is about $0.80. Food prices can vary greatly depending on where you shop. If you go to the conventional supermarket expect to pay the supermarket prices found anywhere in the World. Local shopping is cheaper but it is more complicated, takes longer, bargaining is involved and takes place in a language that must be learned FAST.

Hope this helps, email me or post here if you have any more ?s.

Patricia
 Reply  Quote

Maternal Healthcare in Tanzania
October 11, 2004 07:38PM
Anonymous User
Hi there,

I lived in Tanzania for 2 years, am back in the U.S. now. NGO full benefits can depend on the NGO. Some r better than others. If they are paying for education, transport, housing, medical, 1 or 2 flights home per years (for all family members) then it can be really good. Expect to spend what you are spending now, to maintain the same living standards.

Work for the spouse will depend on what they can do. The hardest thing is finding an organization willing to hire legitimately and going through the hassle of obtaining a work permit for potential employee. The work permit is a real p.i.t.a. for employers and getting caught without it can mean deportation. There are however, some entities who hire discreetly without the work permit. Those kinds of jobs are VERY hard to find as you can imagine.

The healthcare is limited although there are a few good maternal clinics there. The first is the IST clinic. Good service, international doctors, but pricey for the average Joe there. About $50/visit (I think they may have a maternity package for a fixed price) The other, more reasonable option is the Aga Khan Hospital. They have a maternity package for about USD 300 (all pre-natal visits and vaginal delivery) C-Sec is extra. Dr. Simbakalia is the best Obstetrician I have come across there. Tell her Patricia sent you. She takes care of many American ladies until about the 34 weeks then certifies them fit to fly.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance by emailing me or posting here.

Cheers,

Patricia
 Reply  Quote

Cost of Living
October 12, 2004 06:24PM
By mikaili
Let's be more specific. What will it cost to live in Tanzania if you are a couple, no children, and you are in your early 30's. Use the following assumptions: have a four brdroom house (rent or own), eat mainly Tanzanian foods, enjoy a glass of wine and beer from time to time, own a car, house has a fridge, freezer, electric stove (or gas stove), airconditioned, internet, live in Arusha. If you build your own how much will it cost outside Arusha?
 Reply  Quote

Re: Cost of Living
July 01, 2011 12:23PM
Hi,

I am Completed MBA in India & I am receive a offer for handling total Accounts from some Co. in Dar Es salaam, Tanzania.
The Company offer’s me that he can Transfer INR Rs. 20,000.00 into my A/c at India.
& total accommodation regarding house rent, food, transport exp. Is on Co.’s A/c.

Please guide me If I go or not.

Thanks & regards
ravishek
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living in Arusha
October 12, 2004 07:39PM
Anonymous User
A 4 bedroom house in and around Arusha will cost annywhere from USD 300 to $1500 depending on location and quality. You could find something reasonable for about $500-600. With minimal expenses, you could get by comfortably on $1000/month.

Building your own is a good idea, but can get complicated.
The same bag of cement you would purchase in the U.S. for about $2, will cost you up to $7 in Tanzania. Property values vary greatly between the bargainable and completely outrageous. Property about 100 Kms/60 miles from Arusha runs about $50/acre.

Let me know if you need further specifics.

Cheers,

Patricia
 Reply  Quote

hi jagadish
October 14, 2004 03:59PM
Anonymous User
did you mean 250,000 or 25,000 tshs? if its 25000 they are ripping you off,to be honest with you it wont get you by, by the month, you should defenately ask for more money, even if you get a house for free, 25000 is far too low, for a normal life style you would need at least 100,000 tshs a month.
 Reply  Quote

survive on 2000US$ a month
October 25, 2004 08:29AM
Anonymous User
hi, i don't know when your message was posted, but i can tell you this, you can survive, or actually live pretty well on a 1000$ a month, let alone 2000$. I mean that would be pretty luxurious!! smiling smiley i have not been there in 5 years, however i have a relative who rents a 5masterbedroom house in a nice area in zanzibar for 150us$ a month!! dar es salaam is more expensive for a house like that, but defenitely cheaper than anything in the US. smiling smiley
hope this helps.
and welcome to tanzania. smiling smiley
 Reply  Quote

LIVING IN TANZANIA
November 15, 2004 11:28AM
By nasibun
I I CAN ORGANISE FOR YOU A VERRY NICE HOUSE IN TANZANIA AT DAR ES SALAAM, A HOUSE FO 2000$ A HOUSE IN A GOOD STANDARD WITH 5BED ROOMS EACH WITH AC AND THERE IS A NICE GARDENING AREA OUTSIDE AND THE SCENERY IS GREEN AND YOU WILL PAY FOR POWER LESS THAT $200 AND OTHER INFORMATION WE CAN DISCUSS WELCOME
 Reply  Quote

living in tanzania
November 27, 2004 05:17PM
Anonymous User
i would like to know if i can build a bungalow in arusha for £15.000pounds sterling.i have a friend already living there and he is from tanzania.
laura
 Reply  Quote

Tax
December 03, 2004 05:36AM
Anonymous User
I would like to know the taxation rules in Tanzania. I am from India and I will be working in Tanzania. I would like to know the amount which will be deposited in my account in India by my employer is taxabale?
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living in tanzania
December 16, 2004 03:49PM
Anonymous User
FRIENDS,

I AM FROM INDIA.I HAVE BEEN OFFERED A JOB AT TANZ, AT DAR ES SALAAM AT 200$ LOCAL SALARY(PLUS FURNISHED 2BHK ACCO PLUS MAID PLUS CAR WITH DRIVER PLUS FUEL,ELECTRICITY AND WATER AND PHONE BILL REIMURSEMENTS).THIS EXCLUDES THE SAVINGS COMPONENT.CAN I HAVE A COMFORTABLE LIFE IN 200$ PM WITH ALL THESE PERKS ?
 Reply  Quote

cost of living in Dar-es-salaam
December 31, 2004 03:05AM
Anonymous User
Dear Patricia
I am an Indian national who has been offered a position in Dar with a salary of 400000 tz shillings+ a house+ a company maintained car+driver.How much do you think will be my mthly expenses for a family of a wife & 2 kids aged 13 & 10??.Pls reply thru email.
regards
sunil
 Reply  Quote

I have a offer to work in Tanzania
June 21, 2005 03:26AM
By rashpag
Hi Patricia,

Greetings !

I am from India & recently got an offer from local compnay for Managarial position they are paying me 500 $ per month in Tanzania which comes to 550000 Tz. Sh.& they will take care of everything i.e.house/car/telephone bills/ water bill /electricity etc.as per them this is the good salary. Kindly suggest is this is the right option.How safe is this place ?

Awaiting for your feedback.

Warm regards..Pag
 Reply  Quote

cost of living - Dar es salaam
June 25, 2005 08:04AM
By raj
I'm an Indian, planning to shift to Dar es salaam with wife and a 3 yr school going kid, my employer will pay me USD 400 for a fully furnished house in good location( including AC,washing machine, furnitures etc andelectricity & water), USD 200 for on car expenses-maintenance plus petrol, school fee for my kid and 350000 Tsh for my day to day expenses- grocery, entertainment, telephone etc. Pl let me knwo whether this is sufficient for a reasonable life.
And pl also let me know above safety issue if any, life for ladies etc.
Raj
 Reply  Quote

Construction Cost
July 11, 2005 06:26PM
By Sandie
The construction cost for a good quality finishing (not top of the range - nice Italian porcelain floor tiles (such as Panaria), not marble) is roughly $300 per square metre. Depending on the size of your house, I suppose you can.

Keep well,

Sandie.
 Reply  Quote

Hello Tanzanians
August 21, 2006 09:02AM
Hello all my Tanzanian and other Tanzania living
friends.
I am Indian PhD holder in Mechanical engineering and got selected for a private engineering institute at Dar-Es Lam.
The are offering free food and accommodation. In addition to that I may be given 900 USD.
Kindly advise me is it worhty for a doctorate to undertake this job for this salary.
with regards
robinson
 Reply  Quote

Hello
October 09, 2006 03:22AM
Anonymous User
Costs in Dar are 3 to 6 times for anything compared to India. So your 900 USD is equivalent to 300 USD. The rest is for you to decide.

Good luck
 Reply  Quote

moving to arusha
December 13, 2007 11:20PM
considering taking a job offer in arusha for $450 USD per month. is the cost of living too expensive for this salary in arusha? i would be covering food and housing on my own.
what is the average monthly rent for 1 or 2 bedroom home with private bathroom?
 Reply  Quote

Living Cost in Dar.
January 23, 2008 12:23PM
Dear Friends,

Kindly tell me what is average cost of living for a family(Husband, wife and two kids age 4 & 1 yrs).
Would 2000US$ be enough for living in Dar. City.
 Reply  Quote

Moving to Arusha
March 05, 2008 09:40AM
Hello,
Trying to post as much as i can to get some information smiling smiley I will be moving to Arusha and looking for a small house for rent. We are a young couple, so don't need anything very big...a garden and terrace would be wonderful, but will look at all suggestions! I would be so grateful if anyone has information on rent options...or could pass this request on to anyone who may have homes to rent.
Thank you,
Alexandra
 Reply  Quote

Re: Cost of living
January 17, 2012 02:44PM
By santanu
Hello Friends
Have got a job offer of 750000 TZS in local salary + Salary saving in USD. Offer says free furnished accommodation, conveyance, electricity, water & schooling fee reimbursement for 4 year old child. Is it okay for relocation with family including wife and kid. Would be grateful to receive your advice on the same. Is it okay. However medicals are restricted to only first aid and normal ailments and excludes spectacles, dental care etc and also hospitalisation reimbursement is also subject to management discretion.
 Reply  Quote

January 21, 2012 06:01PM
By AMALIA
HELLO,

MY FATHER IS 67 YEARS OLD AND THINKING TO MOVE TO DAR ES SALAAM. HE IS A SURGEON, FORMER MANAGING DIRECTOR OF A SURGICAL CLINIC, AS WELL AS, PROFESSOR AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MUNSTER/GERMANY.
DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE HARD TO FIND A JOB AT A HOSPITAL IN DAR ES SALAAM??CAN YOU PROVIDE ME WITH A LIST OF THE HOSPITALS? MY FATHER'S NATIONALITY IS GREEK,HE ALSO SPEAKS GERMAN AND ENGLISH. ACCORDING TO YOUR OPONION, WHICH HOSPITAL IS THE BEST FOR A FOREIGN SURGEON TO WORK??WHAT IS THE AVERAGE SALARY OF A SURGEON?
FURTHERMORE, I AM PLANNING TO MOVE WITH HIM IN TANZANIA. I AM 32 YEARS OLD AND AT THE MOMENT WORK IN A SHIPPING COMPANY WITH 15 TANKERS. I HOLD A BSC IN MARITIME BUSINESS AND MANAGEMENT AND A MSC IN MARITIME OPERATIONS. WOULD IT BE HARD TO FIND A JOB IN A SHIPPING COMPANY?? WHAT IS THE AVERAGE SALARY FOR SOMEONE TO WORK IN A SHIPPING COMPANY??

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME...

BEST REGARDS
AMALIA
 Reply  Quote

February 08, 2012 10:18AM
Hello..
The information shared in the post is very informative, I am also looking forward to move there and was wondering about the expense as I have to go with my family.

February 15, 2012 03:20PM
Hi Friends,

I am getting job offers from Mwanza. I will be going there alone, leaving my family back in India. The employer will be taking care of my saving which will be deposited in my Indian a/c. Besides they will also be offering local salary to take care of my local expenses. If they are taking care of my Accommodation, Fuel, Electricity, Water bills and India Travel cost on vacation, how much would be needed to take care of my balance needs? How much more would be needed in local currency for a bachelor's life?

I am a vegetarian, non-alcoholic, prefer home food, go gym, prefer a simple life.

Please guide me friends.
 Reply  Quote

March 23, 2016 08:53PM
Friend I get a offer of 1700$/month is this sufficient for living in Mwanza plus other benefits.
 Reply  Quote

July 26, 2016 06:33AM
Hi
I am form India. I have a job offer in Tanzania in Dar Es Salaam as Sales Manager. I was offered a salary of 1200 USD . Accommodation and food will not be provided by the company. Will this salary be enough for a comfortable bachelor life and save some money. what are the minimum expenses i have to pay for decent accommodation and food.

Regards
Raju
 Reply  Quote

Cost of living
December 18, 2016 06:37AM
Hello,

I am planning to come DAR by April,17

Though I have received a good opportunity and all the major expenses will be bearing by my employer only , still i am much cornern about my Son's education and in this regard I need advise on below queries.

- Best Indian School.
- Session start from?
- Tenative Fees Structure.
- Would prefer school providing outdoor activities, specially football.

Currently he is in 5th standard and his curriculum is CBSE.

Regards ashish
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map