Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Moving to Ireland

Moving to Ireland
January 15, 2016 07:01AM
I hope someone can give me some advice, my fiance and I are looking to permanently move to Ireland after we get married this year.

I have a South African passport, my fiance has a Dutch passport.

My brother is an Irish citizen, so having family there, does this mean we could stay over the 3 month period.

If we both come over and have to find jobs in 3 months, and only one of us stay if one of us found a job, can the other stay because we are spouses. If not, and they have to go back to South Africa, how long till they can come back and find a job again?
 Reply  Quote

March 22, 2016 05:28PM
By regulus
Hey hey smiling smiley

This is probably too late, but thought I'd give it a go anyway smiling smiley

All my information is based upon your marrying your fiance before setting foot on the island and is just my opinion, so get anything I say checked and verified by an official

As far as I know, being legally married to a Dutch person should automatically give you the right of abode - As Rep.Ire, N.Ireland and Netherlands are all members of the EU. Having said that, despite your intention to reside in our gloriously damp island (You're very welcome, btw and we all hope you have a wonderful time here smiling smiley it might make more sense to contact the Dutch authorites re. your marriage and see what red tape (if any) there is from that end. I'd imagine all the IRish govt needs is a legal marriage cert. and the Dutch authorities would be your place for that.

From what I know, I'd say you'd be absolutely fine - I'm pretty sure that the IRish government fully recognises the legality of Dutch marriage; therefore, as a spouse, I'd be shocked if they did not allow you to stay.

On that basis alone, you shouldn't even have to worry about three month visas etc. Your husband-to-be is a EU citizen and that allows him to live in Ireland whenever and for as long as he wants. Just the same way I can up sticks tomorrow and mvoe to the Netherlands, should that be my wish.

I'm actually moving in the other direction down to South Africa from Ireland. Have my factor 50 sunblock at the ready tongue sticking out smiley Can't waitsmiling smiley Hey, if you have any problem or would like me to enquire on your behalf, let me know - probably be a lot cheaper my phoning from here.

THis might help you get the info you need:

[www.inis.gov.ie]

Actually I just emailed them:

"Dear Sir/MAdam,

I would be grateful if you might take a moment to answer the following question:

My Dutch friend is married to a South African national - Can she legally reside in Ireland alongside her husband?

Thank you for any efforts made on my behalf "

Short and sweet smiling smiley Hope it works out!!
 Reply  Quote

June 24, 2016 03:33PM
By LiezlA
HI, i am from South Africa and 1stly as i understand it i do not need a visa to move to Ireland, only a valid passport? Secondly can somebody please help me with the necessary information as to how i can move my family and myself to Ireland? We are desperate to leave sunny SA, but need a save haven for our kids to grow. How can i go about finding work ect and moving there?> Or must i find work 1st and them move?
 Reply  Quote

December 06, 2016 05:43AM
Im same as u and your question is also mine. Im nkanyiso living in midrand, gauteng and holding a passport. I got two boyz and must carry them to ireland. Nkanyisolucas26@gmail.com 0842487017
 Reply  Quote

December 16, 2016 11:02AM
Hi,
I am hoping someone can advise me on moving to Ireland. I would like to move there as soon as possible with my 16 year old son. How can I go about this as I am not married to an EU person and only have my SA citizenship and passport. I am hoping I can get there to work and get a school for my son but am really confused confused smiley after doing research and actually talking to people about this. There seems to be conflicting information, unless I am just reading wrong in my research. What do I have to do to be able to work and live there. I don't have any qualifications however do have Bookkeeping experience of 20 years. I am desperate to leave South Africa and make a new start. I would appreciate it if anyone can please advise me. I am prepared to take courses to be able to get certification for employment and the opportunity to live there. Thank you in advance.
 Reply  Quote

June 15, 2019 08:26PM
Ireland is a very good place! Good decision !
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map