Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Thinking of moving to SA with Family Need your HELP plz

Hi there

I'm thinking of moving to Durban or Cape town with my family. I have never been there, but before I make the leap I will go and see things for myself. But at this stage I need your help.

I don't think I will get a job out there as I'm 40 years old and don't have a degree only UK GCSE's. I have worked in sales and Customer Services for over 10 years. I am thinking of opening a small clothing store. I was running one for the last 7 years in London, but people have stopped spending money and I had to close the store this year.

I don't have much money to invest but will make the most of what I have. These are the things I want to know:

What are the good/safe areas to live and open a store?

Is it a good time to open a business in SA?

What is the cost of good schools?

Do we need a Visa?

How much money would I need to invest in SA?

Thanks you for your help. Oh BTW We're a British/Pakistani family (if that matters)
 Reply  Quote

Hello Londonguy,

I was boarn in SA and still live here. Yes it is a BEAUTIFUL country and I will always love it dearly BUT you need a MUCH higher than average income to live happily and safely in this country. You have to have private medical aid (around R4000 per family of four per month), Private schooling (around R2500 per month for Grade 1) private security (cost varies depending on your location. REnting a decent house will be anything from R8000 - R20 000 pm.

It is NOT cheap to live here, and unless you can run your own successful business, then you might stuggle as most good paying jobs are given to black people, and dont even try to apply if you are any other race.

My husband and I are considering leaving this beautiful country, solely for the sake of our children. As things are progressing there is less and less of a future here for non-black people.

The crime is scary in most cities, we live on a farm in Mpumalanga (near the Kruger Park) and the crime is not bad, but when it does happen it is brutal, almost always involviing a murder and/or rape.

I really love South Africa, and I am EXTREAMLY heartsore to have to leave, but as a parent I have to consider what future there is for my children here.

Regrads,
Elana
 Reply  Quote

After leaving the country 23 years ago I now feel it is time to go back!
I recently returned after spending 8 long weeks with family just to see whether I could handle the situation!
I was surprised with myself that I handled the situation like I never left
I drove in two Merc one being the sport model and with the roof reclined and felt pretty good that I could do tht without any problems! Not that I would make that a habit!!

Yes we r in excellent secure jobs but the yearning within to b back where the roots r gets stronger everyday !I'm now making moves to put a lot into gear so that I can off load properties, cars etc in time!

Has anyone taken a car back to SA? What about pets the regulations, time in transit and approx cost!! That would b helpful! Has anyone moved a fair amount of money from Australia? What r some of the pitfalls?
 Reply  Quote

Re: Moving to SA
February 02, 2012 12:06PM
By SAGirl
It's amazing reading all the post on this site. I am formally SA living in the UK for 8 years and am married to a British, we have two children age 3 years and a son who is only 3 months old. I have a constant wanting to go back home. We don’t have any family here all my family live in SA. My hubby has no family of his own in this country. We have an amazing house and good jobs, but childcare is really taking the pinch out of us as it is so expensive, I am constantly comparing the childcare cost for both my kids into SA Rands and it is so dam expensive only because we have no one to look after our kids and only resort is nursery. I am trying to convince my husband that we don’t really have a life here as we are constantly working we cannot afford to go on a big holiday because of kids expenses and a big mortgage....he has lived all his life in the UK...so I understand it will be hard for him to leave...but then England will always be here to visit and come back for a holiday....when compared to the cost of living in SA it is some much lower....and the properties are so much bigger....and just being with family and friends will be so amazing and for my kids to be with my family out there will be amazing as my family don’t ever see them only when I go home for a two week holiday...which is not what I want...can anyone advise how I can advice my hubby about going to settle in SA....i know it will not be easy....best of luck to everyone.
 Reply  Quote

Hi SAGirl

Myself and partner are in UK now for 7 years and I always had work after in SA not had work for many years. After all an income and the future of your kids are the most important, never forget that. There is a site called "Space van Adriana" and if you google that you will see what is going on in SA. I AM NOT NEGATIVE TO SA, but the life there is just not the same anymore. Blame who ever you want.
I think you should think about this and rather be safe and have a future for your kids. Yes I know at the moment financially the UK is not to good but I am confident that it will change soon. If you in london, work and income should not be a problem at all. In west yorkshire where we are it is a bit of a problem, but we surviving better than we were in SA 7 years ago.
I hope this will help you making up your mind and your sole will come to rest.

Good Luck
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map