Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: relocating to Durban

relocating to Durban
February 18, 2010 03:46PM
By eyedoc
Hi,

My wife and I are moving to Durban to both work as doctors for one year only before returning to the UK. We will be working at St Aidans, Addington and IALC hospitals, including occasionally being on-call at nights. I understand we will both need cars, but any suggestions for where to live (2 bed appartment/small house) from where we could commute to work would be very helpful.

Also, my wife and I are a mixed race couple (I'm Caucasion, she's Indian) - are we likely to come across much hassle?

Finally, any reassuring advice regarding the crime reputation would be helpful. I realise there's a lot of hyperbole on this subject, but any honest advice would be great.

Thanks
 Reply  Quote

April 07, 2010 12:55PM
hi
you shouldn't find any problems being a mixed race couple. Areas to look for to stay that would allow easy access to either the motorway or areas you are going to be working would be, Westville, good motorway access. Berea / Musgrave closer or Durban north / La Lucia again closer, but not as close as Berea, but nicer. I used to live in Westville and it has very easy access for motorways and might prove best as some of the hospitals are not close together. regarding crime, make sure the house has an alarm, preferably linked to a security company, the windows should all have burglar guards and don't leave your car unlocked or parked on the street.
 Reply  Quote

May 13, 2010 08:01AM
Hello,

This crime thing sometimes is being exaggerated, surely there 100 good thing about our country. i will mention Durban specifically, life is good here. The ideal place for you will be upper Glenwood area, which closer to all this areas of work and much safe and near the main route.

Welcome to the warm City, eThekwini.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map