Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Re: Facts to consider when contemplating moving to SA

When considering moving to SA consider the following:
our chief of police, Jackie Selebi has links to organized crime and is under investigation;

our metro chief, Mcbride is currently defending charges of reckless/negligent driving under the influence of alcohol/intimidation of witnesses, etc;

our next president, Jacob Zuma is currently defending charges of corruption, with his co-accused already serving time for the same thing; ... oh yes...the same guy who stated in court that he had a shower after sleeping with an HIV infected woman without protection; never mind protecting his many wives' health (he has recently married no.5)

...but that should all go away soon because the Scorpions, who were responsible for exposing Selebi and Zuma, have just been disbanded by the ruling party, the ANC and will then be incorporated into the SAPS under ...wait for it...Selebi;

our current president, Mbeki, thinks Mugabe and Zim are just fine and the ruling party has recently announced that the MDC must participate in the presidential run-off regardless of the way Mugabe has just dealt with the latest election just over a month ago;

the head honchos of Escom have received huge performance bonuses despite mismanagement that has caused an energy crisis that has closed many small businesses. Recently the newspapers stated that "providing electricity" was not considered a critea when assessing their next bonuses...to coin a new phase, "Escom's NON performance bonus";

when the teachers went on strike some time ago some of my children's school friends were beaten by striking teachers for attending school and not showing solidarity;

one of my employees was forcibly removed from a taxi by gun toting teenagers and threatened with death for using an "unauthorized" taxi service; She now has to take 3 taxis to get to work instead of 2 at an additional cost of R9 per day; her husband was recently executed in a taxi territory dispute and she now has to raise all her children on her own as obviously he had not benefits.

I love my country...but we are heading for disaster if our “leaders” and “role models” don't clean up their acts. I have always believed that SA would succeed where so many others had not...but not if we continue this way.

Although we, as a family, are still committed to staying and being part of the solution in this country...we have recently decided to ensure that our children are educated with skills that are in demand in NZ or Australia, just in case.

The poor are getting restless and angry because the ANC has not delivered on the sometimes-unrealistic election promises that they have made. Yes it's true...they did promise TV's and houses and cars...they just forgot to mention that someone has to pay for them.

Our literacy rates have declined alarmingly over the past decade;

our young girls prostitute themselves for cell phones and even food for their families or have babies so that they can qualify for grants;

funerals are a daily occurrence as thousands die of AIDS;

hospitals have no medicine and not enough doctors;

oh yes and we rape our babies and our children, especially girls, sometimes to death.

But all of this is hidden in the less affluent areas. Life in the suburbs is still rosy for those that have the resources, even with our high walls and armed response, but for the poor, life is harder than it ever was before and eventually it will spill out into the quiet suburbs and impact the more fortunate too.

And when that happens the "Fat Cats" who were voted into power by the very people they have chosen to ignore, as they serve to enrich themselves and their immediate families will once again blame "apartheid" as they self righteously continue to rape our beautiful country and abuse our precious people.

If after taking this into account, you still want to come to South Africa…then we definitely need you…come make a difference but know that we still have a lot of hard work ahead.
 Reply  Quote

Argh... come on, now
May 31, 2008 08:43AM
Hey,

Obviously you're fairly embittered with living in Africa. Do you think this helps? All of this afro-pessimism? Even if what you say is broadly accurate, have you done any good by your negative, destructive post?

How about some of the good stuff?

* Loads of people now have homes that had shacks 15 years ago.
* People have access to running water that would drink from polluted streams 15 years ago.
* South Africa has successfully handed over power from 2 leaders during the post-colonial phase - no mean feat in sub-saharan africa.
* There is a big and growing black middle class, educated, affluent and confident.
* There is a free press.
* There are high-profile people prosecuted for corruption.

Sure, there are problems - but they're nothing compared to other 3rd world countries. The future looks bright.
 Reply  Quote

Re: Argh... come on, now
April 17, 2012 12:42PM
'The future looks bright'....... Which planet are you talking about?
South Africa has unrecorded crime - and has been hidden for years and years. We all know the truth about the disgusting actions of certain people in South Africa.
Ok, so the sky is never ending, the landscape is captivating, the beaches are paradise. This is all this country has to offer - eye candy.
Children are being raped, murdered and the many, many poor hard working people are stuck in this beautiful country full of ugliness unable to progress.
For any one thinking of moving to this third world country - STOP and think, this could be the worst mistake of your life.
Do you really want your children to under achieve at a South African school and have no future?
Do you really want to spend a fortune on security so you can protect your family from animals who rape and murder?
Do you really want to say to your wife/husband/children, ''At least we have lovely beaches, endless sky and lovely weather, lets just forget that our house is like a prison and our children can't play out...... we have it all. Lets forget about freedom of speech and the ANC.''
All those 'sticking up' for South Africa who live in the U.K should trot on back to your lovely country if its that fantastic, and stop free loading in our United Kingdom.
For those who are still unsure about the whole, 'should we move to South Africa' senario, well a simple, instant end to your curiosity would be a trip to the South Afrcan High Commision in London. Sit, watch and listen. Endless south Africans are begging not to be sent home to their lovely country on a daily basis. You will have to see this to believe it. I kid you not, women in particular, cry and sob to the staff there just so they can remain in the United Kingdom.
 Reply  Quote

Why move back to SA,Cape Town.
May 23, 2012 07:09AM
By foxx12
We 've had the privilege of living in Oz for the last 4 years. The Oz experience reminds me of SA in the 80's. Anyway its been exactly what we expected, good food good people and plenty of family free things to do. Besides being a qualified sparky in SA & UK Iv had major problems with Energy SafeVic getting qualified. This has been a major factor for us wanting to go back. I might also add my wife misses her family dearly, this has also deterred her from settling down. So she's decided to go back.
Long story short for me i feel that going back is going backwards, I totally understand my wifes feelings(And i cant change that!) Here being a mobile technician i get to see alot of areas etc, but what i enjoy is not worring if i leave my van in the street, will my tools be there in the morning, will my tyres still be there. Going back i just feel like i will be looking over my shoulder all the time.
We came here for QUALITY OF LIFE and its certinally here but not in SA. I do miss my family in SA, but not enough to go back. Its hard to find the positives about SA, the news is not helping either, its all negative! Can someone help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2012 09:59PM by foxx12.
 Reply  Quote

We have different opinions on whether SA is a nice country to live in but nevertheless like any other countries there are bad as well as good things that SA has to offer. It is a good thing that we present all facts to our readers so they'll be well informed and it'll be up for them to decide which way to go. smiling smiley
 Reply  Quote

Well, it brings some new thoughts to me. I can't clearly agree with you, but you have shared some good points.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map