Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Missionaries in South Africa

January 16, 2008 09:21PM
Hello, my name is Andy. My wife and I are very interested in moving to South Africa, specifically Cape Town, to start a church. I was wondering if I could get some information on the religious state of South Africa and the needs of the country. It is very important to us that people understand that we don't want to just "convert" people, but to also help meet their needs.

Any information on the country would be extremely helpful. Thanks so much.
 Reply  Quote

January 21, 2008 12:30PM
Hi

I am from the UK and moved to SA a couple of years ago. I live in the joburg area and I have been looking at joining a church for a while. After a few visits to a variety of churches I found the right one for me. The majority of the population (from what I know) are religious and attend a church at the weekend (Saturday and/or Sunday) There are many different cultures here and so there are already a variety of churches. In my area there is a local Greek church, methodist, catholic, jewish and many christan churches. Some churches are made from peoples homes (converted into a church) and others convert normal business buildings while others have a more traditional appearance
The one church I attend (methodist) is doing very well and has high attendance every week.
If I can help further please let me know
Gillian
 Reply  Quote

Re: Missionaries in South Africa
January 20, 2010 06:42AM
My husband and I also are missionaries and will be going to JBerg next month- we will be there one week. We are hoping to relocate soon- DO you have any advice for us? Was it difficult to obtain visa's to live & work in S. Africa? We also have three little girls-who pray everyday that God opens the doors for us to go to Africa and help any way we can- we believe God will make a way.
God Bless You all!
 Reply  Quote

February 03, 2015 06:32PM
hi

l am working for a missionary who now stays and does mission work in south Africa in the Durban area.at a place full of Hindu people.lf you still interested in taking up mission work you can talk to him and also visit his mission house
 Reply  Quote

thanks
January 22, 2008 07:42PM
Gillian,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

How open are South Africans to the message of Jesus? I really want to reach that region for Jesus. Depending upon the area, some places in the US are not as open to Christ. For example, I spent a lot of time in Vermont, which is very liberal and "spiritually cold." This is true especially compared where I live now in Ohio where people are more open to Christ and consider church to be very important.

How would you rate South Africans in terms of openness?
 Reply  Quote

thanks
January 23, 2008 06:51AM
Hi there,

Jesus is of up most importance in the majority of areas, the only places they dont praise Jesus is in the small Jewish comunities and in the one catholic church I visited - there is a small Jewish comunity in Joburg North and in Cape Town.
You will find that people are very vocal about prasing Jesus even in my church, it is not uncommon to see people raising their hands and dancing while singing to God. However the one catholic church I visited was quite reserved but still believed in the message of Jesus.
I have been told that in the township methodist church they are extremily vocal (like the american gospel churches I have seen on TV)
Coming from the UK, where churches, in my opinion, where reserved for the elderly and it was not 'cool' to praise God, South Africans in general are a lot more free and are not assamed to go to church, sing and worship.

I hope this helps!

Cheers
Gillian
 Reply  Quote

If there are people, there is a need
April 12, 2008 06:58PM
By stoogye
I am a missionary living in Cape Town. As in most places around the world, there is a need for the message of the kingdom to be preached and lived out. I am from the US and I would say that Cape Town is much like any US city. You can't really class all of Cape Town into one description but it depends on social class, upbringing, etc. A lot of Africans are steeped in ancestral worship and it is a big "strongman". But like any people group, we have a need and Jesus is the answer. I would encourage you if feel the Spirit leading you to Cape Town, to do it! You can't gauge your success on someone else's experience because if the Father is calling you here, He will empower you to do the work. Since not everyone is saved here in Cape Town, there is a need to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Hopefully that helps you out and encourages you.
 Reply  Quote

I am a missionary at the moment I am in Brasil, (I am from Brasil), but I lived in India almost 2 years. I had boas you experience wool. Also I was in the Scotland for 5 months working in a Baptist Church, but my heart was always in Africa and now I am praying for my next steps. I would like informing of with missionaries what were working in Cape Town. I would be very grateful stogvee it was possible to communicate with me. I would like knowing very much on Cape Town.
Thanks.

God bless you a lot!
 Reply  Quote

Hi has anyone contacted you yet?
 Reply  Quote

January 21, 2010 05:15PM
I was born in South Africa and I'm currently in a Christian school in Rustenburg in the North West province. I would say that South Africa is a good start, but there are other African countries that need to hear the Word of God. I would say that Mozambique is a good place to start missionary work. The people are really friendly. (I've been there for a holiday) Though in the poorer regions of South Africa there are not many Christians. (That I know of) There are many people who goes around South Africa to preach the Gospel like Angus Buchan. smiling smiley
 Reply  Quote

February 28, 2010 08:09AM
SA people are quite stubborn when it comes to religion and Christianity is much more popular are practiced there than here in the US. i dont see why missionaries leave the US i think most work is needed here in the US. US people are not serious for God they may seem conservative at times but they are neither hot or cold
 Reply  Quote

July 18, 2010 09:14AM
By Machiel
I am a Spirit driven christian in SA and I am being called for missionary in the near future. As yet I am being trained (by God) to do this work at the right time. We believe, and it is coming from various directions, that a complete new way of missionary work will start. When looking at our history it is clear that it was not as succesful as it should have been. A new spiritual way of thinking and operating is busy developing in our country and I am glad I can be one them. Yes, we are Jesus-thinkers and had been for centuries. Obviously there is also a mix of believers and non-believers. Our new calling is something about not only bring Christ to the nation, but bring a Christ that is part and parcel of everyday's functioning. In other words: Is Jesus enough? in every sense of our daily issues. Can I put Christ really first in every thing of what I am and doing - even at my work place- or do I still seek my own will, even small and minor things, and THINK I am doing God's will. So, wait upon God, and at the right time He will guide you to do what you need to do.
 Reply  Quote

Hi, has anyone answered you?
 Reply  Quote

February 01, 2011 07:40PM
Hey Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I'm using some of this information to do a project for the Christian private school i go to to do a spiritual project for my geography class. Thank you for the information and you guys are in my prayers!
 Reply  Quote

April 01, 2011 05:19AM
Hello, my name is peter. My wife and I are very interested in moving to South Africa, specifically Cape Town, to start a church.
========
Peter
 Reply  Quote

April 22, 2011 06:48PM
Hi there,I see you are missionaries and are out to spread the word of God.Would you consider also coming to Kenya to spread the Good News.I'd appreciate if you can do that. reply please to athungat@yahoo.com

May God bless you and your family.
 Reply  Quote

February 03, 2015 06:39PM
l am a volunteer for a missionary in south Africa.we evangelise and provide school stationery and food parcels to destitute and unprivileged families in Durban communities .our mission house is amongst the Hindu and Muslim communities. a very challenging mission to bring them to know Christ. missionaries can visit our mission house in Durban south Africa and help in spreading Gods word .
 Reply  Quote

March 21, 2015 07:51AM
Hi Andy lm Stanley from Zimbabwe. Me and my have started a church two back in Capetown. At the moment we need partners to make this church. So we would like to know which side are you and if you interested he is my email mugadastanley@yahoo.com.
 Reply  Quote

October 21, 2016 10:51AM
Hello. I am a pastor red your story. I will be happy to chat with yor if possible.arnoldmncube.mncube @gmail.com is my email
 Reply  Quote

November 01, 2016 07:08AM
Cape town is a really good place, i visited there 2 to 3 times to meet my family, i have only one little brother who
freelance work online and hey make lots of money, i think you will also try it.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map