Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Fish River Hike

fish river canyon
July 04, 2005 11:35AM
Hi,
We've planned to walk the fish river canyon in september this year. Did anybody walked the canyon in this time of year ? I'm not sure if you can walk in this time of year and if it's not to hot.
I would also like to know if you used the water from the canyon.
Can you reach this place by local transport ?
 Reply  Quote

Fish River Hike
July 11, 2005 07:41AM
Hi there

Just got back from the hike on Saturday 09 July 05...Day temperatures were very reasonable,but some mornings before daybreak it was quite cold. All 5 of us slept under the stars in our sleeping bags only. The one guy had a 0 degrees celsius rated bag and he was the only one that slept 'cold'.

The water level was still fairly high and we could drink the water from the canyon without purifying it. (running water only). Just 1 thing, the water doesn't really quench your thirst, so also take some energy drink to mix with the water.

Transport:
You can pay one of the drivers at Ai-Ais to take you to Hobas - start of the trail - with your own transport and then return your vehicle to Ai-Ais, where the keys are kept in their safe.
It is not really promoted at Ai-Ais admin, but just ask the workers around there. It is very safe to do this and you will likely see several of these vehicles parked at the "service station" at Ai-Ais. We paid N$ 100 for our driver to take and return us in our pick-up.

Other option is to catch a lift with someone going to Hobas...In the school holidays in July,there is always someone going that direction. Don't know about September though.

You should also consider some of the shortcuts, since some of the stretches can be quite long.

Hope you can get all aranged...Let me know if you need another guy to go with...I can try to arrange leave...You may ask why twice in a year? but after you hiked that canyon, you'll know why.

If you're fit, you will LOVE it, else you will probably feel quite different about it afterwards winking smiley

Enjoy
George
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map