Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Inheritance of property in Mauritius

Hello All,

Really hope somebody out there can assist.

My parents who reside in the UK, are Mauritian and built a house on the south coast a number of years ago. Their wills state that my sister and I will inherit the house when the time comes.

Problem: My sister and I were born in the UK and hold UK passports - we do not have dual nationality. I've heard a rumor that because we're not technically classed as Mauritian (i.e. hold ID card/passport) then we cannot inherit or sell the land if we wished to do so.

I've heard that I'd need to apply for dual nationality to get round this problem. Is this correct? I've emailed the address on their government's site, no reply.

Please use the SEND ME AN EMAIL LINK to reply.

Many thanks.
 Reply  Quote

HELLO ; YOU REALLY HAVE TO BE THERE TO GET THINGS DONE ON THAT ISLAND; YES #1
GET YOU DAUL/CITIZENSHIPS; #2 YOU MUST GET YOUR MRU ID, CARDS; AS PEOPLE THERE WILL NOT "HELP YOU"!! BRING ALL BIRTH CERIF(S) SHOWING YOU RIGHT(S)!!!
AND DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR 'TELL NO ONE WHAT YOUR ARE DOING" (REF) SUCH AS FAMILY MEMBERS ON THE ISLAND; AS THEY WILL "RUN" TO PUT A CLAIM IN ON THE PROPERTY.
BEST OF LUCK AS YOU WILL NEED IT!!!!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
 Reply  Quote

Re: Inheritance of property in Mauritius
October 24, 2009 08:58AM
By kurt77
Hello,

I read your post.

In fact, the best thing to do is to give a power of attorney to someone you know here ( or else entrust to a notary/solicitor here) and if you wish, I can manage to sell the property and your representative will then cash the funds, do all paperworks and then transfer yo the funds.

Powers of attorney are done in UK, then an apostille will be affixed (Hague Convention) and this same document will then be legalised and enforced here.

The safest is to appoint any of these 2 professionals as they are legally bound to execute your wishes.

Hope this helps.

Kurt77@orange.mu
Business Consultant
 Reply  Quote

August 14, 2010 04:04AM
By katzz
If i were in your place i would come to Mauritius and do all the paperworks myself and would have gt peace of mind from all this.

Mauritius Wedding Packages
 Reply  Quote

Thanks for the responses, I've spoken with a Solicitor in Mauritius:

For those that own property in Mauritius your children are automatically entitled to an equal share regardless of nationality or whether they hold an ID card/Mauritian passport. Writing a will is a waste of money as they have automatic entitlement. Without an ID card the only thing they can't do is buy property in Mauritius but they can sell the property they have inherited without a problem.
 Reply  Quote

February 08, 2017 10:41AM
Hello, I dont know if you are still on this board.
Could u help out with the name of a solicitor.
I am in the same situation. My mother has a house in Mauritius.
I was born in Mauritius. No ID card.
I have UK passport.

Any help you can give would be grateful.
thanks
 Reply  Quote

August 12, 2019 12:08AM
By Kirti
I would also be very grateful if you could provide the name of this solicitor or any other solicitor who handles inheritance law.
 Reply  Quote

Hi,
I’m in a similar situation to you and wondered if you have found a solicitor yet? Please would you share your info if you have. Thanks
 Reply  Quote

August 12, 2019 12:11AM
By Kirti
Is the information about *not* holding a Mauritius ID card but can still inherit property still accurate? It looks that the original post was in 2011 i.e. 8 years ago.

Thank you!
 Reply  Quote

February 03, 2012 07:34AM
Hello,

I really need some help. Well my maternal grandfather just deceased and he never put grandma on his land contract but was married "corps et bien". Well I live upstairs my late grandfather's house for the last 35 years and I also extended the 2 existing rooms with the permission of grandfather when he was alive. Well now I want to know what are my rights to live up there as ,my grandfather had 4 daughters in all and 2 of them already passed away among which my mother who left my brother, my sister and myself. I have my 2 aunts who want to take everything telling me I have no rights there or sometimes they say that I will get mostly nothing out of it if they make the land surveyed. I really need some help..Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 08:43AM by leonidas.
 Reply  Quote

Greetings. I am in Mauritius. Currently, my father is facing some property issues. The property was actually owned by my grandfather. The latter did not do any will while he was alive. After his death, after much discussions and conflicts, my father and his siblings finally agreed on the division of property and the part of the property that each one will be entitled. My grandfather had 2 sons and 4 daughters. This happened a few decades back.

Recently, my uncle called for a land surveyor to survey his part of land. Since he was using a portion of my father's land (4 acres) as his entrance, he said my father's signature to finalise his survey document. My father clearly disagreed to sign any kind of documents due to the climate of mistrust that his brother has created. My uncle is not our immediate neighbour and our homes are separated by a road.

A few days after this issue, my uncle informed my father through relatives that he wished to add an extra floor to his house. And to be able to do that, he requires my father's signature on some official documents.

It surprises me why he requires such a signature as we not his immediate neighbours and also we are not at all concerned about what he does with his house or property. Can anyone advise if such a signature is really needed. My father is very worried and due to his old age, its really affecting his health.

Grateful if you could provide me your opinions/advises on this issue.

Thanks.
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map