Africa Guide
recommended trip :

Diving, Crocs and Bilharzia

Diving, Crocs and Bilharzia
March 27, 2001 03:00AM
By kevin
Does anyone know the facts about Bilharzia in Lake Malawi? Is it a real problem, or is it limited to very specific areas? If so, which areas are OK?

Also, what about the crocodile attacks off Likoma Island? Are they isolated incidents? Where are the areas which are OK?

Where are the best dive sites in the lake? Is August a good time to go diving?

Any other info about Malawi would be appreciated - where to go, where to stay, etc. I am thinking of doing Nkhata Bay, Likoma Island and Livingstonia. I have about 2 and a half weeks.
 Reply  Quote

Your Plans
April 15, 2001 09:23PM
By kristin
If you stick to your plan ... Nkhata Bay, the islands and Livingstonia, you shouldn't encounter bilharzia at all. It is most prevelant in Cape McLear and possibly certain places in Senga Bay due to the large populations which inhabit the lakeshore areas there. All diving is very good. I recommend staying at Mwaya Beach Lodge on the way to Nkhata Bay and possibly even diving at Kande. More details are on the website : www.africaguide.com/mwaya. Livingstonia is lovely and Lukwe Permaculture Camp is a great place to stay. Otherwise the Stone House and Resthouse have magnificent views, although they are a bit worn. It's a wonderful place. Hope you have an unforgettable holiday!
 Reply  Quote

Only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Not Registered? Click here to register now.

Mobile Friendly https://www.africaguide.com
Privacy Policy • Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.
site map